Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
d
Donald
Addition to the family
Hi everybody, we have an addition to the family, Franzi and Febi, 2 droopy eared pet rabbits which someone abandoned and were found by Chris my Grandson. They are sharing a hutch with his Guinea pigs, Socki and Doby until Grandpa Donald can build a two storey hutch,...
Views: 139   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 23, 2007 3:01pm
by Pat
j
John
The Crooner
Anybody remember little Paddy Taggart , not sure if spelt right. He used to fly up and down the Longstone always on the go and loved a good croon. John
Views: 326   Replies: 40
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 11:43pm
by Beano
b
Beano
Religion and What of it.
Hi All, Doreen tells me I should tell this wee story, this happened on Sunday at the Fort Erie Race Track. I was standing with a friend having a yarn when this elderly lady came up to me and said I hear you are the leader of the Irish Club of St.Catharines, I sai...
Views: 208   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 8:49pm
by Ann
a
ann
Ready for Antrim
Do any of you remember the old saying when you were irritated, agitated or generally going nuts. We used to say, "I'm ready for Antrim". For those who don't know, there was a psychiatric hospital there (still is) and Lisburn was one of the catchment areas. We...
Views: 149   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 9:53am
by ann
j
John
Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.
Can we get some personal & exciting stories from the past. I have one and will write it in the next day or so. John.......
Views: 470   Replies: 35
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 2:52am
by John
j
John
Hidden Hall
Anybody know if the hall is still at the back of the Chapels house where the canon lived. He used to let us practice music in there many years ago.
Views: 150   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 2:36am
by John
a
ann
Chinese Food - Canadian Style
Another wee yarn about our Canadian visit. One day the niece's husband took us all out for a drive. We'd had breakfast before we left and then coffee along the way. We had a very enjoyable time and all the rest but, with my great appetite, I was decidedly hungr...
Views: 215   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 20, 2007 11:24pm
by ann
a
ann
Where is Dabbler AGAIN?
Dabbler I think you like tormenting us and depriving us of your craic. With Katie going on holiday and Low Roader enjoying himself abroad, we need you back asap. Donald can only do so much.
Views: 163   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 20, 2007 9:38pm
by Thelma
a
ann
Where is Donald?
Donald, you are conspicuous by your absence. Miss all your tales of Germany and your yarns. Maybe you're on holiday.
Views: 211   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jun 19, 2007 10:27pm
by ann
Odyssey
Hi all,watched UFC fights from Belfast last night on tele, were is the arena called Odyssey in Belfast?
Views: 179   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 19, 2007 1:31pm
by ann
p
Pat
Father,s Day
Lovely June day here, warm & sunny, 19 degrees. Joe is not a man to show his feelings but I know he is delighted with the family gathering & his presents. Wine at dinner was a St.Josephs ( French) very good. Champagne to start so we r all in good form now, good tal...
Views: 180   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2007 9:30am
by ann
p
Pat
Anniversary
I miss you at the unexpected moments, a stranger,s smile brings sudden tears. I miss you Summer, Autumn into Winter. Spring only brings another lonely year. I hear your voice on evening breezes, Your touch is in the softly falling rain. In dappled shade I see yo...
Views: 204   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 17, 2007 9:04pm
by Pat
Sam Wilson's grocery store
I worked in Sam Wilson's grocery store on Bow St. I have no brothers. I left home in 1960. I became friends to the McKeown's after carrying groceries home for them. I dated Patsy and Lena. I used to take Jackie to visit her aunt in Belfast. I am sure she rem...
Views: 164   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 17, 2007 7:13pm
by Ray Gilliland
holiday experience
I told this story several times, but I don’t THINK I dared, till now, write it here, though I may have done so after a couple of beers: In beautiful St Lucia for our fortieth wedding anniversary, my wife, son, and daughter-in-law sent me into a room for a R...
Views: 254   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 17, 2007 3:58pm
by ann
Lisburn Visit.
Hi All. Last Saturday like Katie and Ann and others do , my wife Evelyn and i went to Lisburn for a days shopping . Parked car at Christ Church car park , had a chat with the attendent on duty Mr Eric Crangle , enjoyed the chat , but time was marching on . So we...
Views: 192   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 16, 2007 4:26pm
by ann
a
ann
Goings on in the loft
Hi everyone. Beano, I WILL tell you another wee tale or two about my stay in Canada. We had some laughs. The reason I'm on this morning is to notify y'all that hubby and I are going up to the roofspace. As Capt Scott of the Antarctica said, "We may be gone fo...
Views: 188   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 15, 2007 12:14pm
by ann
b
Beano
Curious!!!
Hi Katie, You said your husband worked with Margaret Hanna's dad Jimmy. Was that in the building trade?.The reason I ask, I have a very good friend here in St Catharines who also worked with Jimmy Hanna, his name is Paddy Phelan. Paddy came originally from Belfast...
Views: 271   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jun 15, 2007 12:46am
by Beano
pubs
I like the pub pics on forum photos. could somebody do me a wee favour write down the streets they are in, and, if possible, their names in the fifties? I remember The Robin's Nest, opposite the station. Thanks for the pics anyhow.
Views: 232   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jun 14, 2007 9:07pm
by dabbler
a
ann
MAGGI
Maggi, are you the same Maggi that was in my evening class at the Tech. We were studying for A level Literature. If so, will you confirm this before I pass on any good wishes, etc.
Views: 175   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 14, 2007 4:22pm
by Maggi
a
ann
MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET
Thought I would escape today so took myself up the town. Got a lift with hubby at 9 am on his way to work. Lovely day again so headed for the market. There was already a good crowd there and with the heat and all the different stalls I pretended to be in Italy o...
Views: 267   Replies: 26
Last Post: Jun 13, 2007 10:08pm
by ann
Birthdays, not ages.
See u kept that quiet, flydog.... Hope u r still enjoying the B.B.Q. & the gin & tonic & white wine. Wish I could join in the fun. We will toast absent friends later after dinner, we r about to have ours now. Many happy returns. Glad u liked the present. Lo...
Views: 219   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 13, 2007 2:50am
by Beano
I LEFT LISBURN MAY 1961 EX>LISNAGARVEY
HYNDS FAMILY LEFT 69 YOUNG ST> FOR VANCOUVER B.C. CURRENTLY IN REVELSTOKE B.C. CANADA.
Views: 186   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 12, 2007 10:10pm
by ken
Hello Again
I have not had an opportunity to visit the site for the last little while and was just getting caught up on all the "crack". Ann, I don't remember you, but you are welcome to email me any time. I do remember Margaret Burns well - she lived a few doors from us. I...
Views: 228   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 12, 2007 4:37pm
by ann
communication
OK! dabbler gives up. Had breakfast, (muesli), lunch,(salmon and salad), had haircut by adored wife, ( sitting shirtless in garden - me, not her), swept up hairs, did some pruning and weeding, vacuumed indoors after her sewing, and still managed to come on here to tr...
Views: 309   Replies: 29
Last Post: Jun 12, 2007 11:13am
by katie stewart
Action
Fao: Jim Collins Thank you very much for you prompt action. I am sure all concerned appreciate it.
Views: 173   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 11, 2007 2:55pm
by Low Roader
a
ann
FAO LOW ROADER
LR would you check out posting on other listing please. Many thanks.
Views: 159   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 11, 2007 1:32pm
by katie stewart
Boxing club picture
I would love to see names added to those faces. One or two, besides Maurice Leathem and Dickie Hanna, look familiar; I imagine I knew that guy second from right in middle row, but fifty nine years ago... long time, and I would not have seen any of them for over fifty...
Views: 390   Replies: 22
Last Post: Jun 10, 2007 9:23pm
by Low Roader
a
Ann
WHERE WAS SQUEEZE GUT ENTRY?
Reward for the first to answer correctly. Going out to the garden, beautiful day, no time to talk.
Views: 185   Replies: 22
Last Post: Jun 10, 2007 3:57pm
by katie stewart
a
Ann
Beautiful day in Lisburn
Hi everyone, we had an absolutely gorgeous day today. All the flowers are coming into bloom, liles of all colours, dahlias, lavendar, morning glory, marigolds and much more. I love this time of year because we still have the full summer to come. As I say, hu...
Views: 145   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 10, 2007 2:34pm
by katie stewart
Children and Exams
Back again!!! From travels and work. Lots of reading since I was on. By jove the old sharp tongues were wagging!!!! Most unpleasant, glad I missed all that. My youngest child (17) is in the throes of final examinations in secondary school. I was instructed...
Views: 137   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 8, 2007 5:30pm
by dabbler
Free Forum powered by Bravenet