Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boxing club picture

I would love to see names added to those faces. One or two, besides Maurice Leathem and Dickie Hanna, look familiar; I imagine I knew that guy second from right in middle row, but fifty nine years ago... long time, and I would not have seen any of them for over fifty years.

Re: Boxing club picture

Would he have been called McCormack ? If he is the person I think he is, he married Mary Moggs. Margaret

The gentleman in the middle row with the towel round his neck is Jackie Gorman.
The same man who trained Mr Thompson.

Thanks, my virtual friends. I'll look at the photo again from time to time.
I went to the Quay once or twice - the thump on the nose from Maurice Clark wasn't encouraging - and Jackie Gorman told me I looked bigger with my clothes off. That should make you smile. He was smaller than me, but a proper boxer.

There's another boxing club picture on the site now - have a look ... it's the final one on the old photos page. Happy St Patrick's Day!

Thanks, Hilary! I soon spotted that one. I think my 'da' knew Jim Keery. He certainly mentioned him.
I took my son and his wife to Gatwick at 6 o'clock this morning. They didn't even know it was 'Paddy's Day'.

Hilary,
I just want to say thank you for the photograph.
I last saw that photo some 60 years ago.
The club was, of course, the one in East Down View and some of the names and faces are so familiar as to bring on a touch of nostalgia not to say sadness.
You have most certainly made two very old men very happy, if a little numb.
Thank you again.
LR

I finally worked out how to get a scruffy cutting from the Star onto the website.
My dad is in the photo. Billy Thompson, back row, young & skinny and looking very like his son, my brother Will, who, alas, is also departed.

I'm listening to football on computer while reading/writing, which may divert my attention, but, I am sure that is not the Bily Thompson I knew. MY Billy had a very distinctive shock of curly or 'frizzy' hair. And I knew him better than I knew, e.g, Maurice Leathem, whom I recognised instantly in the photos in which he appears.

Dear Dabbler,

I am so pleased to see that photo of dad, I never saw it before. I did wonder by the description you gave of him if you had mixed him up with someone else. No he never had curly hair, but dark brown straight hair.
Yet I am sure you did know him with your knowledge of the boxing club.
And yes Hilary, he looks so much like Will there, thanks for doing that.

Liz

Lowroader
Where did they train or / and box in East Down View?
Donald

Re: Re: Boxing club picture

Donald If my memory serves me right the club was situated in a large black hut on the left hand side next to the last house in East Down Veiw I remember Jack Grimley had a great interest in it,
Regards Ted

Donald,
Ted is right.
The hut was at the back of the houses near to the Belshaws (Robin's parents) house which was the last house on the left in the "old" Bap Row before the new houses were built.
I have a recollection that it belonged to A Mr Bell who was also involved in the club ( and was as hard as nails, but a real gentleman).
Most of the boxers there boxed professionally as far as I remember.
I do not remember any youngsters at the club, but I was only a wee nipper then and never had any real interest in boxing (I am a conscientuous coward by profession).
I do remember most of the people in the picture being about our house from time to time.
I suspect "leamington" may have a clearer memory of that time.

Would Tommy Watters have been your relation?

Tommy Watters could have been a son of old John Watters and known as Ginger . If so he was my Dad,s cousin
Donald

Liz
Seems like there were two Billys. I knew Billy Thompson outside of boxing, went to see him fight at his invitation, and, a couple of years later, when he had retired, I sparred in the Quay club a couple of times. Dickie Hanna was present when Maurice Clark took me down a peg. Maurice was useful, but Dickie and Billy were better fighters.

All were vest wearing amateurs during the time that I knew them!

Donald,
Tommy Watters was indeed the son of John, brother of Frankie and Jimmy.
He was a real ginger but gentle man.
He was Welterweight champion of Ireland in his hey day.
Jim Keery in the picture, boxed, I am pretty sure, under the name of Isaac Keery

Lowroader
I remember Jim and Issac Keery , related to old Mrs Keery who lived with Rabbie Flemming at the corner of Grand St and East Down View, both employed in the bulding trade. My daughter still has a small silver chain which Mrs Keery bought her . My Aunt Muriel lived next door and sometime in the 60s after a fire broke out in their house rescued the 2 old people .
Donald

Hi Low Roader,

Jim Keery was his boxing name his christian name was Isaac, he had just the one brother, Sam, who was a "Steeplejack" and worked for the BBC on the tower at Blaris. Jim and Sam's mother was related to my Granny Hanna. I mentioned on a previous thread that Jim was the only British boxer who would fight Sandy Saddler,that was in London in 1952. Jim went to the U.S.in the mid to late 50s, where he opened a Gym.in New York City. That's the story as I know it.

Beano

Hi Beano,
Thanks for the correction.
I wasn't terribly sure about which way round the names went.
I can tell you he was a very nice person and was a credit to his family.

I note you are talking about a Jim Kerry. Did he
live up Warren Park Avenue? If so, he was very good
friends with my Aunt and Uncle.

Would the picture of Jim Keery be still available. I have Jim's complete record and would like a picture to go with it. I have only a small out of focus picture which was screened for publication somewhere. I boxed quite a few times against Lisburn boxers in the old club.

Sean,
There is a pretty good picture of Jim Keery in the Old Photo Section of the main site. It is under East Down BC.

LR