Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Religion and What of it.

Hi All,

Doreen tells me I should tell this wee story, this happened on Sunday at the Fort Erie Race Track.
I was standing with a friend having a yarn when this elderly lady came up to me and said I hear you are the leader of the Irish Club of St.Catharines, I said no, I am just the leader on this trip. She said oh, that lady over there said you were the President and that you were a Protestant, this sort of stunned me for a moment,and by this time a few of our own ladies had gathered round, most of them had been to early Mass I may add. The elderly lady went on to say you are a very good looking man for a "Protestant" the whole crowd erupted in laughter. That's all I got on the return journey, "your a good looking etc.etc etc.
I should add that the lady was with an other Irish group from Buffalo N.Y.called the Murphy Clan, they were celebrating her 90th.birthday. And by the way she was very short sighted.

Beano

Re: Religion and What of it.

Hey Beano, She must have had google eyes for you.
Good one matey.
John...

Beano,

When I lived at home, my parents moto was, always to respect people no matter what religion they were, or who they were. I am the same today.

Glad u were able to laugh, just a silly little old woman reared 90 years ago, that's the excuse I make for her slip of the tongue.

Katie

I would like to think the elderly lady was joking. What on earth does a Protestant look like? We were brought up same as you Katie. In fact LR could confirm, if he were here, that all our family played with a mixed crowd. In fact, even today, my family have friends of all religious denominations, some with none, as we do ourselves. It is the PERSON, not their religion, or lack of it, that is important. As you know yourselves, you could be at church all day every day and be the sickest person. Hope I'm not being too serious today.

Re: Re: Religion and What of it.

Ann and Katie,

A bit too serious from both of you, I did take it as a joke. My closest friend here in Canada Hugh Flynn told me this morning that she was put up to it. They had been discussing the merits of the Irish Club, apparently one of the "Murphy Clan" had asked, were we all Catholics and she was told no, it was very much a mixed club and the people were from all over Ireland and Religion wasn't an issue and that Irish Politics was a no no.
I have to say Katie I was brought up the same way as you and it is still the same today.
We have been members of the Irish Club for 33yrs.and have the greatest friends in the world in it.
I certainly didn't mean this to be a serious issue, if I have offended anyone.... I apologise.

Beano

Beano,

Hubby, did say it was a joke, he's always right.Should have listened to him.
Did'nt take any offence, we are noted for our jokes.
What a beautiful place u live in and u still think of
Lisburn as home. (Or do u)
Note: Was in town today some shops in the Mall flooded with torrential rain yesterday,houses in Belfast in a dreadful state, we never saw rain like it.
Katie

Re: Re: Religion and What of it.

Hi Katie,

I was born and raised in Lisburn, yes, I still think of it as home after all these years. Co.Downer said a couple of weeks ago, you can take the man out of Lisburn but you can't take Lisburn out of the man, very true.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Religion and What of it.

Beano and all,
Same goes for the girl!
Thelma

Remember James Young sang something about being able to tell a person's religion by the shape of the back of their heads!
Donald

Hey, Donald, was it not something to do with the closeness of their eyes?