Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chinese Food - Canadian Style

Another wee yarn about our Canadian visit. One day the niece's husband took us all out for a drive. We'd had breakfast before we left and then coffee along the way. We had a very enjoyable time and all the rest but, with my great appetite, I was decidedly hungry by the time we returned to their town. Niece had invited her in-laws over that evening and had decided to buy Chinese food which is apparently what the Canadians absolutely love.

We accordingly bought the Chinese meals for about 10 people. When we got back into the house, the niece asks Pat and I to put all the Chinese food into the oven to keep warm. Now, over here, when we buy Chinese we each order what we want and eat it. Didn't know they do things differently over there. Anyway, we were both STARVING by this time so all the Chinese food, except our two dishes, went into the oven. We immediately tore off the wrapping paper and wolfed our food down - you know how you do when you're really hungry. We then had a sit down in the den and were nicely full and just dozing when niece appears, saying, "Right, everything's ready, come on up". When we went upstairs, we were shown into the garden where all the in laws were assembled. A large table was set with a linen tablecloth, napkins, all the cutlery, glasses, wine, beer. There were a stack of heated plates as well with paper napkins to hold them. All the Chinese food was set out on big platters and everyone took a little of everything. There were also dishes of accompaniments - dishes of coconut, slices of pineapple, sultanas, naan breads, and salads. Pat and I looked at each other, knowing we'd made a blunder. Our missing dishes weren't noticed by the inlaws because there was plenty. We nibbled at bread sticks and picked at the salad, hoping no-one would see that we weren't really eating. It was very civilized right enough.

After everyone went home, the niece says to us. "Where did the sweet and sour chicken and the chicken satay go? She had noticed them missing and also knew they were our orders. We confessed that we were so hungry, and with the great aroma, we had eaten them, no plates or anything. She shook her head. Later that night afer we'd gone to bed she told her husband. He couldn't believe it and apparently, was heard muttering, "like savages". I never liked him after that!!
We again had a great laugh about this when we thought it over. But, how embarrassing if we'd been "caught on" by the inlaws. I never got invited back!!

Re: Chinese Food - Canadian Style

Ann,
Could'nt take u's anywhere,again great tale more, more,
more.

Katie.

Ann, that was a great holiday & we had some laughs, right enough U may have to take Beano up on his offer. BANNED. In the daughter,s on her computer in the office. Lovely sunny evening, will ring Canada & remind them of our last visit, remember Big Country & Western & Jazz man giving u all the tapes etc. Wonder what all the Lisburn Exiles in Canada thought of our exploits on the first visit together. Have they become Canadianised by now? Hope their Norn Iron humour has not disappeared, laughter is the best medicine....Pat

Re: Re: Chinese Food - Canadian Style

Hi Pat,
Are you and Ann sisters?
Thelma

Thelma, how did you guess? Which one is the older?

Hi Ann,
Pat's note on June 18th gave it away. I looked up your stories to see if you mentioned any names but couldn't find Pat's name. You just turned 66 so I think Pat is older. Am I right?

By the way, I really enjoyed reading about your wonderful aunts.
Thelma

Thelma, I'm glad you liked the story about my aunts. I wondered if maybe people would not be interested in my ramblings about my childhood. I must do another one (again true) about a woman who used to do dressmaking for my mother. I was quite scared of her but it was only because I was a young child. I'll write it soon if you like.

Yes, Pat is older than me. She'll kill me for telling but she will be 90 years old soon. She looks well for it mind you. I'm so glad she can only get on the web at weekends. Wait until she reads this!!!! I'll get dog's abuse.

Anyone remember a dressmaker from the Lowroad, Mary Manett or something I think she was called,if my memory serves me right she wore a shawl about the Lowroad. She sewed for my Gran and aunts

Donald, Just about the dressmaker. I don't remember the one you mentioned. The dressmaker I was talking about, and who I'll do the story about, was called Mrs Morrow and she was from Millbrook.

Re: Re: Re: Chinese Food - Canadian Style

Ann,
Looking forward to that story about the dressmaker. You are kidding about Pat's age aren't you? She probably will kill you when she reads what you wrote.

Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Chinese Food - Canadian Style

Hi Thelma.
See she is answering for me too. Take my advice, heed nothing Ann tells u, including my age. As Oscar Wilde said, "Anyone who tells u their age would tell u anything" That about sums "yer woman" up. Just had a race in to my daughter,s computer this evening, glad I did, must keep up to date at this rate. Pat

Yes, Thelma, re Pat's age, only kidding. She rang and said she was gonna sue.