Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Thought I would escape today so took myself up the town. Got a lift with hubby at 9 am on his way to work. Lovely day again so headed for the market. There was already a good crowd there and with the heat and all the different stalls I pretended to be in Italy or Spain. First of all I headed for the fishmonger's stall. The herrings are in season so I bought over a pound of them and will pot them this afternoon. You wouldn't get potted herrings in England or Canada. Oul roll mops, not in the same league. Anyway, with the oncoming budget in Oct (hubby's retirement) I headed for the sandals stall. BEANO, are you listening? Standing beside me was Daphne McNeill who was trying on a nice little pair of pale blue canvas shoes. Unfortunately, they hadn't either her size or mine, but I did get two pairs of lovely sandals and a real bargain at that. £7.50 each. Genuine leather and everything. I told Daphne about the Lisburn Exiles but she doesn't have a computer. Says she writes to Daphne Martin and of course said to tell you, BEANO, that she was asking for you.

Then, in Greens, I spied Leamingtoner -ARE YOU STILL WITH US LOW ROADER - and had a yarn with him. I must point out that he didn't know me but I knew him. He thought I fancied Sean Penn but I put him right and said that it used to be Johnny Depp but that LR is my hero now. I hear you are setting off today for Edinburgh on your way to Marbella. Well for some. You may not see this but you'll see it on your return. Leamingtoner and I were standing against a pole in Greens and it was quite awkward for people to pass so by way of explanation I told everyone we were have an affair and had to hide behind the pole. No-one believed us, that's the best of NI, you can say what you like, nobody believes you and it might even be the truth.

I called into Dalton's Sandwich Bar again and got a huge smoked cheese and roasted veg sandwich on granary bread. Could hardly get my mouth round it but it didn't beat me. Wee woman at the next table says to me "It's hard to eat with this heat, isn't it". Just at that moment I was stuffing myself with a big mouthful of bread and veg. I noticed her looking oddly at me. I nodded and tried to smile. NOTHING puts me off my food. Anyway, home again and I think there may be a storm as it is SO VERY HOT AND HUMID. I think I'll have to lie on top of the bed after all that food and then making hubby's lunch and the excitement of being in town - it's all too much. My wee dogs can sense the storm too and keep looking at me. They think I'm their mummy, so off the three of us will go and I may be back later if I feel more energetic. LR, if you happen to switch on this morning, have a really good holiday and bring us back plenty of stories. Good luck.

Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Ann,
Seeing as you are a regular visitor to the Lisburn market, do you remember seeing a market trader who sells small childrens clothes, little dresses and suits for confirmations and weddings. She also crochets baby blankets. If you know who I mean, she is my cousin. Just thought I'd mention that. They stopped going to Lisburn market but still do other markets.

I was laughing, picturing you eating that sandwich like it was no trouble at all and that poor woman beside you having more difficulty eating her lunch. You know quite a few people on this forum and not knowing you myself, I have this picture of you in my head and I wonder if it matches the real Ann.

There's only one person I know on this forum and she hasn't been on for a long time. I guess they are all busy working during the day. I quit my job in March so I could have the spring and summer off and will be looking for a new job in the fall. I absolutely love not working!!!
Thelma

Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Thelma, tell me what the picture is you have formed of me. I'll tell you if is correct. Funny, I do the same with people on the web.

I do remember the woman who sold the children's wee coats etc. but I honestly can't remember what she looked like. Sorry.

Re: Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Hi Ann,
Dame Thora Hird comes to mind. Am I way off?
Thelma

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggig
If you look at the link above you can see some photos of the Mayors parade. It was a lovely day. Hope you are all well. Ann keep writting!

Welcome Maggi. Keep on signing in. Thelma, you are WAY WAY OFF. Now, how could I describe myself. My niece in Canada says that every time she watches "The Golden Girls" she thinks of me. I can't remember the character that I'm meant to be like but I can see a resemblance and I think she also gets on like me. Do you remember her name?

Ann,
Would you be Dorothy, Rose, Blanche or Sophia? I'm guessing Blanche.
Thelma

Blanche did come to mind. I'm not like the tall one or the very small one and I can't think of the other one. BUT is Blanche round faced, nice, and also funny or dopey? If so, that's the one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Ann,
Do you mean Rose played by Betty White. Rose was the innocent one who was very naive. Blanche and Dorothy used to roll their eyes at her comments.
Thelma

Thelma,

Did Ann, say Rose (Betty White) way out its more like
Blanch. I wonder who u would think I am like. I am more like Rose.

Katie

Hi Katie,
I'm waiting to hear back from Ann. Maybe she does mean Blanche. I think I'm like Rose too. My son always loves to hear about my naive childhood growing up in Lisburn. I think growing up in Lisburn wouldn't be quite the same today though or am I wrong? The kids seem to have the same peer pressure as the ones here in Canada.
Thelma

Thelma,

I am sure Ann is in bed by now, I tell u one thing we did'nt get doing the things the young ones get away with now.
I had to be in at a certain time 10.00pm and on a
special nights no later than 11.00pm.
Never had a drink until late twenties, did have the odd smoke, but my parents never knew, my dad died when I was 20yrs and mummy when I was 29yrs although I was well married by then. Still enjoy a good laugh.

Katie

Ann,

Definitely "Blanche" she had all kinds of affairs and didn't care who knew about them.

Beano

Katie,
Yes they were much more innocent times back then. When we went to Forthill, my friend used to stop at Jinnys at the corner of Mercer St. and Sloan St. and she would buy 3 cigarettes for morning, afternoon and lunch breaks. I bought a chocolate bar as my mother would have had my life if I had bought cigs. Sorry to hear you lost your parents when you still needed them.
Thelma

Hi Thelma,

Nice to be reminded of "Curry's" I used to run messages for Jinny and her sister Nan. Their father started the business with Jinny as his assistant, Nan did the housekeeping at their home in Sloan St. When Mr.Curry died, Nan joined Jinny in the business, neither of them ever married. "Jinny Curry's" shop will always hold great memories for me.

Beano

Hi Beano,
Wasn't that the smallest little shop but we never thought that back then? We've been away from Lisburn for 37 years this year but some things and places I will never forget. Lisburn is still home to me.

Do you remember Roberta's owned by the Mc Mullens next to the pub? For a while my mom worked part-time at the shop with Mrs Mc Mullen.
Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Hi Thelma,

I remember Roberta's very well. One night a number of the boys, myself included were playing football with a tennis ball and it hit Roberta's window. We got a right telling off I must say,it might have been your mother.Anyway we took ourselves off and we didn't do it again.

We came to St.Catharines in Feb.1972 so you were here before me. Doreen and I lived in Carrickfergus after we got married in 1961.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Hi Beano,
I think my mother may have started work there about 1965 so it must have been Mrs Mc Mullen who told you boys off. In 1961 I was still wearing ankle socks.

My mother-in-law lives in Fruitland just down the highway from you and your wife. I go to Ontario every summer to see my brothers and my girl friends. If my husband wants us to live in Calgary I figure it's a small price for him to pay in order to keep me happy.....a trip to Ontario.
Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MEETING FRIENDS IN LISBURN MARKET

Have been in touch with my sister and she confirms that it IS Blanche that I remind people of. What do you mean, Beano, she had lots of affairs. I only had about 4 (joke). Still waiting for Johnny to make it 5. Pat Burns would like to know who she reminds people of? I told her that as a couple she and her husband remind me of the couple in "One Foot in the Grave", particularly her husband. Katie Stewart reminds me of Mrs Bouquet in Keeping up Appearances. Come to think of it, sweetie is like the husband in that series.

Ann, Thelma,

How dare u Ann, what with my blond hair, long legs (5'8") and sweetie says best ankles still.
He is a leg man.

My sweetie/hubby still as good-looking as every.

Two teenage grand-children call me Mrs. Bouquet, because I am always cleaning (like u Ann) and I check them for their dress sense, speaking and manners.
one sometimes wears skirt too short, like u Ann. (joke)

Katie

To All,

Had to share today with u, hubby painting the kitchen,so went out to look for more paint at Kearney's,well u may have guessed it, home without any, cannot agree on the colour. Lunch time by now, so I said to hubby, what about some fish and chips. So, turned the car went down the Low Road to George's, whose fish and chips are nice
now we very seldom buy fish and chips as I am a fussy person and like to cook my own, whenever the need be.
Got to George's and it was packed out onto the street
all Forthill School (boys and girls) and still more coming (so much for healthy eating in schools), so away we went, but the taste of chips was in our mouths. Headed off to chip shop in Antrim Street and got our fish and chips, fish and chips for hubby only chips for me that's what I wanted. Home now, we were like children, got the plates, salt and vinegar out , I was even eating mine with my fingers they tasted so nice. The chips were really enjoyable is'nt it funny how when u get something in ur head u cannot let it go. Maybe going back to our childhood Genessi and Montgomerys.

|Katie

Katie did you know the chip shop, Taylors' in Sloan Street is now Montgomerys? Not sure if its the same as years ago. Maybe a treat for me for Friday evening.

Now Katie, you've just proven my comparison to you and Mrs Bouquet. Says you, "I don't usually buy fish and chips". Well, we buy them every Friday night, saves me cooking for one night.

Maggi, Ann, & Ted,

Maggi did'nt know Montgomerw was over the County Down,
Down thanks for letting me know, hope they are the same as used to be. Thanks again.

Ann,
Ann not a great fish and chip person, I must be odd,
no wonder u can put ur feet up on a Friday. Things will change here, I slogg over the stove frying plaice which I get from Ann Heasley.
Wonders never cease, I never knew u were a Fanny Craddock, must yet the herrings for sweetie, I hav'nt done them for years. Less of the wise cracks.

Ted,
Thanks for ur receipt too, almost identical to Ann's,
from a old friend. Sh Sh Sh. Lisburn people are great especially Low Road ones.
Ted an old neighbour of ur's on the list.

Katie

Katie,

What is wrong with the guys from the Co.Down?. After all the Rooney's lived in the Co Down before moving to the Low Road. We are not such a bad lot really!!!!

Beano

Beano,

No the boys from the County Down were nice boys also.
slip of the key board.

I must be losing it, I spelt recipe wrong, had to ask
sweetie/hubby what day it was today.

Katie

Katie, I hope everything that you read from me is taken with a pinch of salt. We're all on here for a laugh - right!! I still say you're like Mrs Bouquet. My sister would like to know who you think she reminds you of.