Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pubs

I like the pub pics on forum photos. could somebody do me a wee favour write down the streets they are in, and, if possible, their names in the fifties? I remember The Robin's Nest, opposite the station. Thanks for the pics anyhow.

Re: pubs

Dab, Will ask Joe about the names later, he is out in the garden where I ought to b this beautiful day, but I only get on this laptop at w/ends, hope to get myown working agin soon......Pat.

Thanks for the info, and atmospheric new pics by Leslie McCutcheon - any realtionship to Leo, Elias, Marie?

Hi Dabbler .

Re- Pub photos , Jim has kindly named the streets at the bottom of the photos i have sent him .By the way which was your favourite booser. Iam not sure of the original names of the pubs , but someone will maybe answer this query. There is an old pub on bridge st called THE OLD CASTLE now closed .
All the best .
Tommy .

Tommy, very kind of you. Honestly, it's so long ago, I really have forgotten lots of names. I was sometimes too young to drink, and used dodge my da, so I would go whereever I knew he didn't, so I clearly remember all his pubs.
I had some good nights in a place top right Bridge Street, going toward the clock, where I sat with Patsy Dornan and Sally. Funny enough, as we used to say, Kitty Molloy used to be in there sometimes. (By the way, Katie, Isobel has never posted on the forum).
The Robins Nest was good too, though no special reason, other than meeting (likeable) wastrels like myself.
I hardly dared those around Smithfield, except to go and see if my da was ready to come home, but I hold memories of them, along with Corkens and Tam Browns, in a kind of affection. Aye, I know; pathetic, isn't it?
I think I remember Eastwoods, Hagues, Mooneys - depends who I was drinking with
With wee Billy Dunleavey, it would be somewhere towards the Antrim Street end of town, and with Maurice Clark, Eddie McDowell, Patsy Dornan, towards Bridge Street and the County Down.

Dabbler,

Notice Isobel has'nt posted yet, wonder why?

Knew Patsy & Sally Dornan, also her girls and Billy Dunleavey and his brother.

Tom &|May Brown was a friend of my father and mother, and I was friendly with their daughter, still am.

New Neesons very well Mrs. Neeson (mother) Pat,
Michael, Dan & Crawford only Crawford left. Don't own the pubs now. We used to call them the top and bottom pup. Though, I was not in them as too young and did'nt drink until very much later in years. Would'nt have been allowed to.

Katie

Katie
Are you a 'mole'? You tell somebody not to blow your cover, I ask does your husband remember me, and you say he still likes to sing, and, to cap it all, your email doesn't work!

Lots of bits clicking into place at last!

Debbler,

Welcome back, were you away on a trip, missed the craic
if you were away tell us all about it.

Yes sweetie oh hubby (keyboard again)used to sing and still does, though don't know never in the house that is left up to me.
I still hav'nt got a clue who u are.
Can't get ur e mail.

Katie

Ann,
Just like u, up to my eyes all day cleaning kitchen cupboards up and down a ladder, that's my exercise for the day. Sweetie painting the kitchen, now some
ceiling lights broken, want to see the mess of the ceiling, he has cut a piece of the ceiling, as he has lost a transformer . (Thought he had lost it years ago.
Waiting for another tale about Canada or anywhere.

By the way took ur advice and sent swettie out of fish and chips could'nt be bothered to cook in the kitchen at moment.

Beano & Thelma.

Made a mistake daughter not heading for Vancover Lakes but Vancover Island, mind not working too well yesterday

Katie

Katie,
Knew your hubby when he was six.
Joe

Dabbler,

Do u think I am Mistic Meg, hubby want's a better clue,
he can hardly remember yesterday, never mind when he was six.(Why just six, did he do something, quick tell me, I won't tell) Ha Ha

Katie

He went to infants school with Russell Bell and others.

Gerald would remember the air raid shelters with the flat roofs that we used to play in. What a 'playground'!!

Dabbler,

Hubby away to B&Q to look for a transformer, shouted in
did u mean Ruckie/Rookie Bell?, County Down. He needs more clues.
Just read ur e mail, I know who u are now, u would have known me, went to school with ur sister (eldest one)knew your mum well and dad, and ur brothers still see some.

Katie

Yes, I guessed you knew us. Rucky Bell it was. I do not remember you at this moment, but I never had much luck with the girls! Ugly wee thing, but I was better after I developed the gift of the gab!

Dabbler,

Were u the one with red hair like ur sister? U were a nice lad Ann also went to schol with ur sister. |I remember playing up were your family and the Whiptys'lived many a day and evening. Were u home for ur brothers funeral?, that was sad for u all.

My brother lives just beside ur other sister, I don't
know her so well.

Katie

Katie

Katie I have only been 'home' once in forty seven years, just before my brother Robert died.
If you played up 'The Green', then I must have seen you. I just barely remember Rosaline Whitby. I remember better Sally Wallace, who had a brother, Jim. Protestants, and smart looking for Protestants. Especially Bullicks Court Protestants. I remember ALL the boys well. Whitbys, Crees, MacDonalds, Corkens, Staffords, Kerrs, and most of their mothers and fathers.
From Barrack Street, I remember the McKeowns, and Bobby Quaile, and, looking on the forum, I think I faintly remember Turley, a smart looking boy for a Catholic. And many, many more to whom I have rarely given a thought until the march of time stole up on me, and returned my mind to yesteryear.

Dabbler,

John Turley, died a 2 ears ago, Sally Wallace still around, spoke to Jim Wallace last week, one of his older
sisters use to live next door to hubby in Tonagh.Sh Sh.
I think Sally still in the town.

When I said red hair, should have been auburn.

Did u read Ann's story, great every time.

Katie

Katie
My sister Joan was quite a nice looking wee girl. I have to be truthful and admit I most certainly was not a 'looker'. Approaching, and into early teenage, I always liked wee Chrissy McKearns, but she wouldn't give me a sideward glance.
Sorry to hear of the demise of yet another old acquaintance, Mr Turley, though I knew him less well than most. TJ McKeown is an older guy that I recall. I got him confused in my mind with Star McManus. It was TJ, in fact, who got into a row in the Wee Hall, and his mother came running round, shouting to big Robert Keegan; "Get him outa there, before he wrecks the place!" TJ was tall, but would have weighed about nine and a half stone wringing wet.

Ann is a natural born story teller. I enjoy her tales immensely.
I have just bought a few paperbacks, and started reading one of them, called A Spot Of Bother. I'm going to like it. Example: His death will be a big loss for his wife, particularly as she will now have to finish her own sentences. Struck a nerve that did.