Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hidden Hall

Anybody know if the hall is still at the back of the Chapels house where the canon lived.
He used to let us practice music in there many years ago.

Re: Hidden Hall

There was a boxing club there about 50 years ago
Donald

John,

Sadly the Big Hall is away, now a car park for the church,the youth club at the back of the Parochial House
Big Hall in his wasted youth, though the Big Hall as we call it, held brilliant dances and brought some good bands at the time to it, also held variety
shows,plays etc,. When dances were held, the women stood at one side and the men at the back of the hall, eying the women to see who they would choose to dance with (the cheek of them) "Great memories"

Katie

John, I think you are talking about the Youth Hall. Neither of the halls are there any more. They were unsafe and would have cost too much to re-do. Easier to build a new, up-to-date hall with function rooms, including a youth club, and that will take place shortly. Also, the old parochial house is being knocked down soon and I think 2 new parish houses being built there. Again, cheaper to re-build in this instance too. The chapel has been refurbished, seats replaced, altar changed, I think it looks wondereful. Good heating system too. The usual ones still standing at the back so no change there. We have a great organist and a beautiful choir which sometimes brings a wee tear to my eyes. Usual crowd still standing across the road before Mass. So not all has changed.

Re: Re: Hidden Hall

Thank you Ann, Katie & Donald for the info on the youth club hall.
I just couldn't remember what it was called as we practiced many a night in the hall trying to put a group together at the time, it lasted for a while and it was fun at the time.
Take care all.
John..