Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.

Can we get some personal & exciting stories from the past.
I have one and will write it in the next day or so.
John.......

Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.

John Looking forward to that, u start off with your story & remember Sweetie,s fate...... Pat

Sorry folks! Mine is an exciting story of the present, and I posted it on the Guts Entry by mistake!

Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.

This isn't exciting but it happened this morning in church. Beautiful morning so hubby and I thought we'd take ourselves to a lovely wee country church for the 11 am service. I gets myself all dolled up, hair washed and shining, the famous cream suit and all. The church was pretty full and we sat down near the front. After a while something caught my eye on my left shoulder. To my amusement (it would have been horror had we been in our usual large church in Lisburn)I discovered that a velcro hair roller was nicely stuck there for all to see. I must be getting old right enough because I could only smile. It's true, isn't it, pride comes before a fall.

Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.

I promise this will be my last posting today. My daughter and family have invited us round for a Sunday BBQ. By the way, if LR is tuning in. Called at big brother's this morning on the way home from church. His garden looks lovely right enough. The camomile lawn and all the flowers, wild and otherwise. We drove down the Broad Road, under the tunnel, past the Hilden monument, past Gordon's old house (now a brewery), up Huguenot Drive. Then McConnell's Hill came into view and all the green fields, cornfields, overfalls. It looked beautiful and big brother has all that view. Anyway, he asked me to find out from you if Andy Brodie's brother was still alive. The name escapes me. He said he remembers with great happiness standing outside the EMB waiting for it to open at 7 pm. Then, at 9 pm the big boys arrived and all the juniors had to leave. I'm away, talk to you all tomorrow. Katie, a wee message for you. I see that Pat has given your sweetie's name away. Could tell her nuthin'.

Ann,

Heard about the velcro roller, it was anounced in church this morning, all ladies and gents were told to check their hair for rollers, I said to sweetie/hubby check my hair quick, I thought it was me, he said never mind check mine.

From now on it will be roller check every day.

Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

Hi as promised here's my story altough a bit long.
Titled LISBURN FOREVER. A true story...........
I was around 18 in the 60's and in the summer tried to get away camping every 2 weeks, saved every penny and couldn't wait to get away for some fun, i always went with well i'll call him Big G.
This particular week we chose to go to Portrush, we went on the train, arrived Fri. night set up camp got cleaned put on the new suit and headed for the singing pubs and then hit the Arcaidia and danced to the Royal showband had a great time.............
Then went to buy some fish & chips, Big G got his first and went outside to wait on e got mine and when i went outside, down by the penny arcade Big G was talking to some people he new as he knew just about everyone from his trips every couple of weeks, well i walked up to see what was happening and was king hit from behind, down i went out cold i woke up with 2 guys holding my arms and another just botong away at my face when i woke up there was blood everywhere, all over the new suit and shirt we were both in a real mess, my bugle was to once side and eyes like mellons...............
Next day we got on the train and couldn't wait to get home to our wee Lisburn, on the train these 2 angels came and sat beside us and asked what happened to you,
we told them, they opened their kit bags, gave me some pain killers and put a splint on the bugle , put a patch on my eye brow and told us they were 2 army nurses and were travelling to Lisburn so we had treatment all the way home, said our good byes and we never saw them again.................
We passed the Robins nest and walked up towards the square being a sunday night there must have been 2oo teens there our people, when we got to the bank corner, couples were in doors ways etc. the motor bikes were all parked where mine would of been too.
Then all of a suden people came runing at us Big G looked at me and we said no not again, he called out roll in a ball and protect you face John i said you too.
We lay there on the ground waiting for the biff to start, and i felt all of these hands on my head and back asking what happened to us.
I couldn't beleive it, i hardly new any of team Lisburn but they helped us the best they could, we told them went happened and went went home to face the music.
I normally left my Honda hidden on the Longstone won't say where but i actually got a ride up to it on a 500cc Norton i was rapped and thanked the visiting dude for the lift......................
The following Sat night we were standing in front of corkens pub when 2 open tray trucks pued up with pillows and blankets etc, guys and girls some were couples others seem to come from everywhere, they were all heading for the Port i pleaded with them not to go but they said know we are going to find out who did this to you.
I never had so many kisses in my life, girls one after the other came up and gave me a hug and a kiss each and said don't worry we'll flush them out............
I was worried for all of them that they would get into trouble over me. the girls went in to the penny arcade and starting to chat up some boys there and it only took them about 10 mins to brag about what they had done the week before.
Team Lisburn were all waiting outside for them they circled about 10 punks and they all confessed, as far as i know the boys gave the 3 main culprits a bit of biff but enough to say don't every do that again or else.. "We'll be back". I listened to the radio all the time to see if there was any trouble but it was ok no news is good news....................
Sunday night D day the return of Team Lisburn, they told us they had a great time dancing to the Cadets and anyone from Lisburn can go to the Port youn or old in safety.
I thanked them all each and everyone of them for what they did.One of the leaders rocked up and gave me 15 pounds they collected to buy me a new suit, i will never for get it.My nose is a bit to the side but i'm still all in one peace........................
It didn't matter what race or creed we were help was always there. even months latter teens i didn't even know came up to me and wished me well........
This is Lisburn and it's people...........
"LISBURN FOR EVER"

Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

John,
I enjoyed your story of your youth. I wasn't allowed as far away as Portrush. My friends and I used to go to the church youth group at the arcade on Castle Street next to Montgomerys icecream parlour. We used to dance to "Itchy coo park" by the Small Faces and I had to leave the youth group by 9pm so I was home before the pubs got out at 10pm.
Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

Yes Thelma they were real good times.
John

JOHN,

That is a brilliant story,sorry u got beat up so badly and u with a lovely new suit,but what did ur parents say when they saw u? I bet u both were lapping it up when the nurses were attending to u and ur sad faces.
Ur story could win a prize in some of the papers or books. Glad u still love LISBURN.

Katie

Raymond,
Swettie, just told me the hair cuts were on Hamilton boys heads sorry for mistake.

Still trying to trace Sam Wilsons in Bow Street.

Katie.

John,
Forgot to tell u I know ur dad Gerald and mum Betty.
Your mum is a lovely lady, was in our Ladies Circle and could really enjoy herself. I hear they both are not too
well at moment.
New all your Aunts and Uncles, used to run around with them.

Katie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

Good story John, here is mine. We always played jokes on each other in our house. One day I was about 10/11 I came home from school & my Ma was out. I knew she was,not far away so I thought I would play a joke on her. Then, all the coats were hanging behind the door so I hid behind them ,intending to jump out & scare Ma. Heard her coming & just as I was about to yell & emerge I saw she was crying. I had never seen my Ma cry. I got very scared & cowered under the coats. Ma sat down at the table put her head in her hands & cried her eyes out. Terrified, I stayed where I was , what could b wrong? Had my Da been killed at the war? Then the aunts & uncles arrived & I leaarnt that my Granda had dropped dead in the kitchen, I stayed under those coats for over an hour, relieved it not something bad I or some of the others had done but shocked as this was the first death I had been close to. I never played a surprise joke again. Hen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

I always avoid people I can,t get on with & one person like that arrived to my Granny,s door. My aunt had just lit a cigarette for herself & gave me one. (we all smoked in those days) "Here,s Lucifer " I said " I can,t stand him" & slipped into a big cupboard in the kitchen. Just as he opened the door my aunt passed my cigarette into me & shut the door tight. I was enjoying my escape & the Embassy filtertipped, but soon smoke started to annoy me & I wanted to cough but dare,nt in case I was discovered. "Is he going to talk all day " I thought disliking him more as the smoke made my eyes water . This lasted for a full 15mins, seemed more like a day to me. The cupboard filled with smoke fumes, "This is like Hell " I thought "That bloody Lucifer, Is he doing this on purpose the auld devil" Eventually he left & I burst out of the cupboard coughing & spluttering,eyes watering, cursing Lucifer. All the sympathy I got was the rest roaring & laughing at my predicament. I avoid cupboards ever since & thankfully have got rid of Lucifer & his smoke. Pat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

I was 15 & one very frosty night after sleighing in Jubilee Avenue, I was making my way home & thought I would take a short-cut thru the graveyard & on to Ridgeway St. As I threw my sleigh over the wall, in the still of the freezing air, I heard the clunk clunk of it hitting the ground & felt a stab of apprehension. I had to follow the sleigh & climbed over, put it under my arm & was walking towards the main gate. Just at the path which went towards the Sling fields I heard a rustle, looked left & at the stile over into the graveyard, saw the black figure of a man. I blanked out then & came to bursting into our house in Brookvale. I must have been white as my Mother said "What happened to u" I told her & she said, " U keep away from the graveyard, it,s for the dead,not the living" She need,nt have worried. What puzzles me to this day is how did I get out.? I must have cleared a 6foot hedge into Ridgeway St. that night, but have never accomplished anything near that again......Wonder was the man taking a short cut too? Joe

Hi Henpeckernto and others,
What a sad story about ur grandmother, that taught u a lesson.

Here is my story from the past:

When I was much younger than now, I brought my
children(5) to and from school, having duly delivered them at school saftely, got home ,changed into working clothes to start my chores had the house spick and span got to the bathroom and noticed a small penny piece in the bottom of the toilet, did'nt want to put my hands into the water,thought to myself
when I brush the toilet out the penny will flush. Anyway the bathroom was the last to be cleaned so I went and changed myself (would'nt go to the school not dress nicely)makeup on, hair fixed as usual.Looked down the toilet and there was the penny (said a few nice words to myself, so had a bright idea, as Hoover was still on landing,so put the Hoover down the toilet, sh sh sh sh up went the water,but low and behold penny still there and the Hoover had stopped. Hoover was now broken,heard sweetie/hubby come home put the children into watch the TV and in my quite voice said the Hoover is'nt working. "he said what is wrong with it? told him what I had done, he said how stupid can u be u could have been electrocuted, don't u know water and electricity don't mix you are lucky to be alive I replied, I told u I was'nt very good at science.
Had to get a new Hoover, as the old one took 2 months to dry. We have a good laugh at it now, but shudder to think what might have happened and my poor sweetie
left with 5 children and the trouble of having to look for a new wife and never to get one like me.
"My Guardian Angel was looking after me that day and who says they don't exist"
Katie

Katie, your story about the Hoover and water suddenly reminded me of a similar, stupid thing I done years ago. My eldest son was just about over 3 and my daughter was just a tiny baby fast asleep in her carrycot. We were all in the kitchen because in Lawnmount there was a fire in the kitchen and it was nice and cosy, plus you could do all your work too. Even then I was tied to the kitchen sink. I needed to renew the batteries in the radio, as that was my contact with the outside world at that time. Taking out the old batteries, and without a thought, I threw them into the lit fire. Next thing there was an almighty explosion. Grabbing my eldest by the hand, and screaming at the top of my voice at the same time, I threw him out into the back garden. I didn't know what had happened, but of course the batteries had exploded. Baby thank God wasn't hurt in any way but she well might have been. My eldest, though only a child, remembers the incident well. Like yourself I didn't know anything about "men's tasks" - still don't.

Ann & others,
Ur story reminds me of time sweetie/hubby were on Holiday in Spain a lot of years ago, the day before some
bombs had exploded in a town not far away (would u believe it)sweetie and I are lying on the balcony,when there was a masive bang,I nearly jumped over the balcony,sweetie just lay there and said get down and stop screaming, my gas lighter has exploded, don't let on it was up here.
Away to get the dinner on, sweetie fixing a light on
outside he has been at 2 hours, if he does'nt hurry, I am going to hang a torch up.

Katie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

Thank you Hen for your story it was very moving and death is a very sad time.
Best wishes
John.

Hi Katie,
Glad you liked my story, it wasn't so much getting the biff.
What really got to me was the comrdery and love other teens from Lisburn gave me, people i didn't know, it still brings a tear to my eye when i think about them, all of these years later.
John

Hi again Katie,
I must have seen you at some time if you knew all the aunts etc.
did you ever go to Brenan's pub with them?
John

Oh Katie you were one lucky lady.
Be careful girl and best wishes.
John..

Re: Re: Personal & Exciting Stories from the Past.- LISBURN FOREVER

John,

Really enjoyed your story, sorry about the biffing, but delighted to hear the Lisburn Team were on your side. I never took a beating myself, call it cowardice or just being fast at getting out of the way. The only scraps I ever got into where at school, nothing very serious. Like yourself I too say "Lisburn for Ever".

Beano

Hi John Good Morning,

No I was'nt in Brennan's, but ran about with ur aunts in the fifties, still see Maureen & Noel in the paint shop.

By the way ur great Aunts and Uncles were reared in Market Street, my dad mum being a best friends of them.(All dead now R.I.P).
One old aunt of yr dads had a little shop next door to Cochrane's which sold cigs & sweets etc,. A little bit of history. (Gone but not forgotten)

Katie

This isn't an exciting story but some might think it funny.

It was St Patrick's Day 1966 and I had just returned from church with my baby of 3 months old and my son of just over 3. It was a wet and windy day and of course in those days no cars or anything - you pushed your pram with the baby inside and the toddler perched at the bottom with an umbrella over him. Anyway, after walking the good mile home, when I went to open my front door I discovered I had no key. I panicked at first, but then on looking up I noticed a front bedroom window open. I saw two fellas up the street -they were I suppose about 19 years old or so.

Hurrying up to them with the pram in tow I excitedly told them the story of being locked out. One of the young lads, to whom I'll always be grateful, immediately said he would get a ladder and climb through the bedroom window. The other, who I had expected to help as I knew him better, just looked at me as if I was mad. He was, what we would call, "a holy Joe". (my backside). Anyway, the other young fella came down, secured his ladder against the wall and quickly climbed up and in through the window. In no time at all he had opened the front door. I was so busy thanking him that before I knew it the door blew shut again. Talk about being embarrassed. Anyway, he clambered up again and this time I made sure I put the pram and myself into the hall before thanking him again I also gave him some money (can't remember how much but I'm sure it wasn't a great deal) and told him to have a pint to drown his shamrock. That poor fella is now dead and the other drip is still a "holy Joe". I never had time for him after that. Funny sometimes who the good Samaritans really are - not always the churchy ones.

Loved the story Ann and not a truer word said.
John

^Thanks Katie you know more about the clan than i do
Thanks for the info.
John

Ann,

Next time I see u, tell me who the (Holy Joe) is, so that if he passes me in the seat in church, I can make his ankle very sore. Ha Ha
"Hubby looking over my shoulder, says I must have Italian connections, he always knew it."

Read Edith Piaf's live story years ago, what a life she had, living in the gutter and only for the
street girls feeding and looking after her, she probably would have died. They wer'nt Holy Joes' That what I call being a "Good Samaritan". Loved her voice especially "Non Je Ne Regrette" and La Vie En Rose.

Katie

Well, Katie, you don't go to our local church now but, yes, if you were there you would see him. It's terrible, but every single time I see him I remember that true story and I still can't like him. By the way, stop name dropping. My friend Patricia and I actually saw the blind tenor LIVE in the Grand Opera House a couple of years ago. He was excellent and so good looking too. My taste in music is wide and varied but I particularly love Ella Fitzgerald, Katie Beluha, all R & B, jazz, classical guitar. I do not like county & western, except for Dolly Parton who I suppose is really country, which is different.

Ann,
Buy a Ricky Van Shelton cd and you will here real country or even a George Jones DVD.
For young country try Shania Twain.
All absolute magic.
John

John, I've heard of Shania Twain and will get a CD. I also like Norah Jones and Madelaine Peroit (that's not the right speling but you know who I mean). I also love all the old musical numbers - you know, Oklahoma, Showboat, Carousel, South Pacific. If anyone looked in my window of a morning, they might see me dancing and swaying to rumbas and cha chas. My wee dogs look at me peculiarly. I think they're wiser than me. What will I do when hubby retires - he'l have to join me.

1 2