Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goings on in the loft

Hi everyone. Beano, I WILL tell you another wee tale or two about my stay in Canada. We had some laughs.

The reason I'm on this morning is to notify y'all that hubby and I are going up to the roofspace. As Capt Scott of the Antarctica said, "We may be gone for a little while". We're having some work done and have to clear the attic completely. I'm only supervising, but it will be a long job. I don't know about anyone's else's attic but ours of full of all the rubbish of the day, including furniture and I don't know what. See you all later.

Re: Goings on in the loft

No-one even missed me. Awwwwww. Anyway, Beano, another wee story from our Canadian advenure.

Never having been in Canada before, I was looking forward to it immensely. My sister lives in Co Clare, I in Co. Antrim, so we arranged to meet at Dublin Airport from where the flight was departing. When we both arrived and greeted each other not having met for some months, and having a good yarn, by the time we got to the eheck-ins, there was a very long queue. My sister, who is not a good flyer, says to me nervously, "God, look at the hundreds of people for this plane. We'll be stuck at the back, not even get a window seat, seated somewhere in the middle for 5 hours or so, might not even get a seat together". I looked at her, tryng to think up words of encouragement, as I love flying, although I do like a window seat. Anyway, she became more agitated and I, seeing someone in uniform, asked if there were any available seats for upgrading. The answer was negative so we joined the long queue. Then, a courier for the airline came over and said she had 2 available upgraded seats, but they would cost $100 dollars each one way. We jumped at that and were whisked away to be boarded immediately. We handed over our $200 and were shown to a very posh area in the plane. Lovely seats with plenty of leg room, fresh fruit was brought round before take-off as well as champagne. We were delighted. After a few glasses of champagne, we got talking to the steward and when he heard that this was my first time going to Canada, he kept plying us with champagne, nuts, wee treats of all descriptions as well as menus, wine lists, liquer lists, everything. We were half cut and didn't care if we ever reached Canada. We were in a lovely haze. When we eventually arrived, the same steward gave me a bottle of champagne as a souvenir. After picking up our luggage, we were met by my niece. She had a surprise for us. When we came out of the airport, there was a stretch limo waiting to take us on a tour of the area before dropping us off at her house. Inside the limo there was more champagne. After a few more glasses, we wound down the windows and began to shout at people, "What about ya" "We're only here for the beer" and such like. We didn't notice my niece's face, which was downcast. Eventually, she admonished us and said that people over there didn't behave like that, yelling and squealing. She was mortified. When we arrived at her house, her husband had arranged a meal out at a swanky restaurant. He said if we would like to shower and freshen up, we could just throw our suitcases into our room and go out for the meal. We were so excited we said to him, "Oh, it's all right, we don't need a shower, we had one this morning".

Re: Re: Goings on in the loft

That wasn't the end of my tale but something happened to my computer so I'll continue. After the meal we headed back home for bed When my sister and I got into our bedroom, having had more wine, and thought about us saying "We had a shower this morning", we collapsed in fits of laughter. In fact, we had to stuff the pillows into our mouths, as my niece and her husband were in the next room. We snorted and choked for about half an hour, tears dripping from our eyes before we could take the pillows away. As a nightcap, and to steady our nerves, we had a wee half'n from the duty free which was in our suitcases. Will tell you more adventures soon.

That is brilliant Ann. Now don't you tell me there is not a story attached to the meal out. I can't believe it was an ordinary occasion. I can believe it was an hilarious event! Now then which is right?

Liz

Beano,
U know what to do, when u hear of Ann and her sister arriving in Canada. At least u will get a laugh.

Katie

Ann,
If u look at the postings, I missed u, got a good
laugh at the story, keep them coming.

Katie

I think I'll serialise my story about our time in Canada. Hubby is in a bad mood this morning, as he is still working in the loft. My daughter called in with Rachel before taking her to Stepping Stones and we could hear him grumbling like "Is there no breakfast being made this morning?". I quietly turned on the computer so that he wouldn't hear, and being able to multi-task, as all women can as I said before, I now have bacon, sausages, black pudding, tomatoes grilling, which will be accompanied by wheaten and soda and potato bread and an egg. The aroma will kee him contented while I type this. I'm going to take myself up to M&S as I got vouchers for my birthday PLUS better to stay away today. Talk to you later. Where's Johnny Depp?

I think that the solution to most problems today would be for women to be in M&S and men in the loft.

How about locking the loft whilst they're inside?

Ann, I have thought about that........... I had thought too, to keep Katie from being murdered, Sweetie should get locked in the loft. Can't trust a laid back man, can you.

Liz, that is the truth. By the way, getting worried here. Hubby just patted me on the bum going past. Maybe it's because he has had another cuppa with bikkies, OR maybe because I have a leg of lamb roasting (with fresh rosemary) or maybe because I have turkey fillets in the oven with a creole sauce (bought in Tescos). The turkey fillet dish is for tonight so no fish and chips. Maybe tomorrow night. Hubby loves food, the smell of it, the taste, the look, everything. I'm gonna get outta here quick. The skip is almost full.