Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
a
Aimore
Selenium Training
Aimore Technologies is the best Selenium training institute in Chennai with 6+ years of experience. We are offering online and classroom training. Visit Us: Selenium Training in Chennai
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2021 12:41am
by Aimore
f
Faith
Is anyone still using this forum?
Hi, I'm looking for a forum to perhaps vent, learn, listen etc. for adult children of mentally ill mothers. Any recommendations? I just wonder if finder others "like me" might help the healing process.
Views: 374   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 28, 2017 12:32pm
by Susan
bipolar mother froze to death
Hi all, I'm new to this site, and not entirely sure how it works, but I hope it is a chance to share and learn from others. I'm a 28 year old male working abroad. A few months ago I learned by email that the police had found my mother dead inside our house...
Views: 438   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 16, 2017 7:31am
by Susan
l
Lola
Both parents mentally ill and suffering sister
Hello, I have never availed of an online forum before, but tonight I really feel like I need to talk to someone that understands. People that understand. I am 23 and am medicated for depression myself. I struggled with during the ages of 18 - 20 but now have m...
Views: 694   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 8, 2015 3:55pm
by Lola
c
Cindy
Don't know how to grieve passing of mentally ill mother
My mother was always worried and fearful. I didn't know how much it affected me. I blamed myself for the craziness in our home. I internalized it all. I started looking for what was wrong with me back in my teens through self help books. I never had self confidence....
Views: 745   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 22, 2014 7:59pm
by Cindy
18 year old son refusing medical care for broken clavicle.
My 18 year old son with Mental Illness is refusing to follow the recommended treatment course for a recent broken clavicle bone. I am not sure what to do because it seems to not be healing. He is diagnosed with ODD, Anxiety disorder and Bipolar Disorder since the age...
Views: 574   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 6, 2014 1:05pm
by Tanya Kennedy
Mother with possible early dementia...
Where to begin... my mother has not been formally diagnosed with anything other than depression and as being a hoarder. However in recent months I feel that she suffers from a number of mental illness; paranoyer & mild dementia. Firstly about the hoarding... when I s...
Views: 685   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 17, 2014 4:01am
by SuperAlbeee
j
JEna
accused of molesting my child by delusional mentally ill mother...help
my mom has just been diagnosed with a mental illness, im just learning how to deal with it in a different way. Before i would take her delusions accusations and verbal abuse personally and would fight fire with fire with her. Say awful things back. Now that i am unde...
Views: 826   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2013 6:13pm
by JEna
e
Emilia
My Mother, A Stranger
This is my first post on anything like this in an effort to reach out for support, so here goes nothing. I am eighteen years old, my mother suffers from Bipolar Disorder. She was diagnosed when she was in her twenties, but I did not find out about my mother's illness...
Views: 1166   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2013 8:04pm
by Julia
Where to from here? Help please!
My mother had breast cancer a year and half ago after that she became mentally unwell she was accusing my father of having an affair, she could smell gas in our home, she felt as tho people were following her when she was at home and out and About she used to follow...
Views: 870   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 16, 2013 10:10am
by raenah
g
Glenn
Bi-polar/schizophrenic mother had heart attack.
Hello, I am 43 and have cared for my parents since 2005. My father passed in 2008 of end stages Alzheimer's/dementia. He fell out of the shower after having a stroke; he passed while in respite care right before I needed to decide whether or not to remove hi...
Views: 691   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2013 10:43am
by Glenn
t
Taylor
Dealing With Mentally Ill Mother after Father's Passing, Need Suppor
I can't explain the, although unfortunate, comfort I have found by reading through posts and realizing I am not alone. To make a back-story short, I had a "normal" childhood. My Dad was my hero, and mom was most always being an amazing mother, my best friend. Occa...
Views: 959   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 1:31am
by Taylor
best books i have read
For healing and insight for others: My Parents Keeper For insight for others who have not experienced this and let them understand: Growing Up with a Schizophrenia Mother (fast read and clear) Best for understanding and healing for the child now an adult...
Views: 1036   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2013 12:36pm
by Healing time
j
jade
Getting tired of staying strong
I hope i find what im looking for on here but if i dont atleast i can get some venting done! Where to begin! Well im 21 years old and have been a mother to my mom for the past hmmm aslong as i can remember she suffers from depression bipolar borderline personalit...
Views: 1071   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 26, 2012 10:02pm
by jade
c
Casey
I don't know what to do
So this is my first post and I'm not quite sure what I expect to gain from it...I have a mother with paranoia personality disorder and I have lived with it my whole life. Throughout my childhood she was extremely hurtful, would constantly tell me I was a terrible per...
Views: 877   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 10:01am
by Casey
d
Doug
Daddy getting ECT again and this adult son feels empty
Thanks for the opportunity to share a moment. I'm at a cross road, petrified to move forward. I'm the only son of an only son who in turn was also an only son. There is a deep vein of extreme mental illness (manic depression)in my family line and I seem to carry the...
Views: 745   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 6:09am
by Doug
Sharing Our Stories
Hi, I am the adult daughter of a mother who has some form of paranoid schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder. I just discovered this chat room, which seems to have reached a completely different community of people than the Facebook forums I usually frequent. I'd ju...
Views: 834   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2012 2:58pm
by Marin Sardy
a
Aimee
Bipolar Mom Deciding to End it all
Hi! This is my first post. I have a mom who is bipolar and has been since I was little. I lived through abuse by her hand with beatings and belittling. She almost chocked me to death when I was 8 with a dish towel. She told me if I told anyone I would be taken aw...
Views: 852   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 20, 2012 12:22am
by Aimee
e
Emma
Don't know what to do anymore, help!
Hello, I am currently living at home and I live in a two bedroom house in the Uk. My mother has mental health issues, my brother has depression (I have to look after him, he can look after himself sometimes) and my dad has diabetes. My dad is the only one tha...
Views: 976   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 3:52pm
by cj80
Need Help with dysfuntional relationship
Ok. I have been dwelling lately over my mentally ill mother and how I want to move forward with our relationship. My delima is that I have a hard time cutting her off completely without feeling guilty, however her emotional abuse is too overwhelming for me to handle...
Views: 1053   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 2, 2012 11:04pm
by Janie
j
Janie
Need Support
I'm very glad I found this forum. After I dealt with many of the issues of growing up with a mentally ill mother and abusive father, I'm only now facing how truly bad it was. I've just started therapy and am finding that connecting with others like me--with paranoid...
Views: 796   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 2, 2012 10:57pm
by Janie
c
cj80
Lose-lose situation
Hello- I've posted once before, things have calmed down since then, but have now blown up into something huge. The reason I'm posting is because I really just need to talk. I feel like I am at my wits end and am alone. I do have a therapist and she has been help...
Views: 759   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 7:12pm
by cj80
z
Zoe
A Rant From A Recovering Adult Child
I always knew I was a perfectly normal freak of nature. Non-human. Humanoid. Like I grew out of my father's head, rather than inside of my mother's womb. I developed uncertainly, while the people around me sat idly by, silently sanctioning our self-imposed exile....
Views: 1485   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2012 9:14am
by Lisa
Starting Adult life with a childhood full of the unresolved
Mother with yet to be diagnosed Bipolar- she has refused physiological help over the years and will only see 'family Councillor s' I am about to reach my 23rd Birthday, If i could have seen how far i have come. From a young girl terrified to walk through the front d...
Views: 1055   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 15, 2012 11:20pm
by Janie
help me please. need some advice
I'm not quite sure what my mothers diagnosis is exactly. She has been unstable for as long as i could remember. When i was younger, about 14, i just assumed that it was because she was on drugs. But now that she is sober she is worse then ever. now she is acting the...
Views: 798   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 8, 2012 8:33am
by Annie
Caring For Elder Mental Mother
Hi! Sometimes I feel guilty for being somewhat cold to my mother of whome I only take out to run errands. As it seems to me if Im not "cold" emotionally distant she verbally abuses me, it's so sad, but I have to maintain my boudaries. Ive been in therapy for yea...
Views: 677   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 2, 2012 3:41am
by geciktirici spre...
j
J
I dont know how to cope.
My father has schizophrenia and went off his meds a month ago. He currently is not in his right mind. I dont know how to deal. I cant seem to accept the fact that my father can turn into someone I hardly recognize overnight. I'm very close to my father and seeing...
Views: 927   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 17, 2012 3:55pm
by Curt
Mom refuses teatment
My 57-year old mother just suffered a breakdown 4 months ago and has been diagnosed with either bipolar 1 or paranoid schizophrenia. We have been given so little information, we do not even know the actual diagnosis. Please read my blog for more details, and maybe...
Views: 1054   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2012 4:53pm
by The Daughter
San Diego Post
Curious if any are from San Diego on this Forum? Top Hair Salon San Diego San Diego Best SEO San Diego Installation TV San Diego TV Installation Mounting Service TV Mounting San Diego Top Hair Colorist in San Diego Best Lexus Mechanic San Diego Lexus Toyota...
Views: 654   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2012 2:32pm
by Gretchen
a
Amy
How can I help?
My sister is paranoid schizophrenic, with bipolar tendencies. . Based on the recent emails I’ve received from her, I think either her condition has worsened or she’s gone off her meds. Among other things, she’s asking for my help. I am praying fo...
Views: 706   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2011 5:17am
by Russell Sova
s
Sophia
Setting boundaries
I am a 21 female. My mother is a paranoid schizophrenic with BPD tendencies. Only recently I decided I needed to stop contact with her. It hurts because I know she will take it personally, she will not be able to see why I feel I need to do this. She will think I am...
Views: 1519   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 7, 2011 6:14am
by Russell Sova
p
Pamela
bipolar mom
product of textbook bipolar (manic/depressive) mother, divorced father...brother committed suicide, i'm nearly the last and afraid for my children -- I guess I'm afraid one of them will be bipolar. As a child of a bipolar mother, i've seen some very crazy things. i d...
Views: 863   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 24, 2011 5:33am
by Jonna
e
Eileen
My 29 Mothers... Accepting my Mother with D.I.D. (aka MPD)
I have a mother who was diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder (used to be termed Multiple Personality Disorder) a few years ago.... The cause of her disorder was insane sexual abuse from her father for 17 years of her life. How can i hate her when she has gon...
Views: 655   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 18, 2011 6:44pm
by Ed
j
Jae
Abusive schizophrenic parent...can't cope without support!
I was raised by a schizophrenic mother who refused to take meds. Mainly, because it was a "government conspiracy" against her and our family...we were supposedly on the news, camera men lived in our vents, etc, etc. Now, you know, you'd think that almost 30 years lat...
Views: 846   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 1, 2011 3:48pm
by natalie
b
Beth
If Anyone Can Help
After three years of trying to help a mentally ill partner, I finally realized that whatever I do will never be enough... I thought with enough love and support, that I could help her to feel whole and stable. The withdrawal and pulling away has been never ending and...
Views: 688   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 3, 2011 7:13am
by Sherri McLain
A book about my experiences
Hi everyone, My mother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in her early twenties and my father was an alcoholic. I was born during one of my mother’s many stays in a mental hospital, and she was in and out of hospitals throughout my childhood. When I w...
Views: 897   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2011 7:08am
by Sherri McLain
The more I try, the more I'm hurt.
to explain my situation, i'm going to type a pretend letter to my mother explaining my feels. Dear mom, Mothers day is here, but not all mothers diserve recognition. I recently visited you in the mental hospital but you tore me apart! You told me that your priori...
Views: 798   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2011 5:55pm
by Brittney
g
gmilch
How to best deal with it?
My mom has a plethora of mental disorders and her illness is considered moderate. She uses her disorder as a scapegoat for the relentless grieving she subjects our family to. I wasn't raised by mother but instead by my maternal grandparents. After 31 years of fee...
Views: 855   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 6, 2011 9:57pm
by gmilch
My Mother Killed Christ
This forum is a great resource for adult children of mentally ill parents. Until, at age 50, I wrote a book about my experiences growing up as a Catholic school student with a mother who thought she killed Christ, it was never really clear to me that my mother had a...
Views: 1216   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2011 8:32am
by Katie Roberta St...
Would you mind participating in this study?
Hello, The Dare Institute is conducting a pilot study of moods. We are trying to gather data from a wide range of people and hope that turning to various internet groups will help. Participation is anonymous and all information will be confidential. Th...
Views: 656   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2010 8:07am
by Raquel Silva
support groups?
Hi, Does anyone know of support groups for children with parents that are mentally unstable? My mother is bi-polar and I really think it would be nice to find a place where I can meet other people with the same problem.
Views: 596   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 23, 2010 2:37pm
by beto vidal
a
Andrea
Shadowed past, Shadowed future
I really need some advice from children of schizophrenic parents in their 30's and 40s. I'm in my early 20s. I've just graduated from college and am starting a career that I love. There is a wonderful man in my life who I want to marry someday. I have everything...
Views: 708   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 12, 2010 8:42am
by Jaime
h
H
new- happy to have found this forum
How great to find this forum! There don't seem to be many, and it can be so isolating dealing with our parents alone with no-one that understands. Finally, I see people do understand! My mum has, thankfully, not done any of the extreme things I've read about on thi...
Views: 550   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 15, 2010 2:39pm
by fyllys
p
Pamela
Remembering People
Something i've found, is that i have a hard time remeber faces and names. i think it's a symptom of constant moving by my parents to escape their problems, but I can't remember ANYONE'S name. it's terrible. escpicailly now that I have children of my own and am ready...
Views: 544   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 28, 2010 12:27am
by Pamela
t
TISH
ADVISE IN TIME OF CRISIS
My mother is mentally ill and has been so for the past three years. It has been hell trying to get help for her everytime I try to help her she say i just like the enemies she verbally abuses which cause me to get emotional and distressed to be honest I am a nervous...
Views: 545   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2010 9:41pm
by TISH
Blog by Adult Child of Mentally ill Parents
Greetings--my name is Ben Peterson. Both of my parents have suffered from major mental illness. I am in my 40s and writing a blog about working through issues surrounding Adult Children of the Mentally ill. Here is a sample post from the blog. Please feel free...
Views: 1975   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 3, 2010 11:12am
by Ben Peterson
a
Alicia
Any feedback is appreciated...
Hello. I was removed from the custody of my biological mother before age 2. Her refusal to get the support she needed resulted in me becoming adopted by my foster parents. Around age 18, I was curious about my biol. mother so I found out all of her diagnosis and b...
Views: 505   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2010 10:31pm
by Ben Peterson
a
Angie
I really need some advice!
Once when I was about 4 or 5 years old I begged my grandmother to let me live with her and I spilled my guts about everything my mom was doing to me. But, nothing ever happened and I was terrified that my mother would find out about it. So after that, I never told...
Views: 678   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 13, 2010 6:25pm
by Wolf Cub
Need to vent - Please tell me if I'm alone
I am a professional 29 year old woman who looks like she's got it all together from the outside, but years of dealing with my mother's mental illness and my dad's denial around starting to make me come apart at the seams. My mother attempted suicide when I was 13 an...
Views: 980   Replies: 24
Last Post: Dec 13, 2009 8:06pm
by Heather
j
Jill
Is anyone still using this site? I need some support
I've recently entered therapy and I'm finally getting to the bottom of some of my issues. I realize how I grew up with a mentally ill mother has influenced who I've become. I'm not sure exactly what my mother's problem is. She's diagnosed manic depressive with psych...
Views: 744   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 12, 2009 7:31pm
by shar
1 2 3
Free Forum powered by Bravenet