Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
a
Ann
Radio Ulster
There I go, pressed that button and deleted a bit. What I was saying was that Gerry's music is very mixed, sometimes bloomin' awful but sometimes great. It's not the usual anyway. The craic between him and his co-presented is so funny and unrehearsed. In fact...
Views: 151   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 6, 2007 1:08pm
by Ann
Radio Ulster
Hi All There is a link on the main menu of lisburn.com front page or www.bbc.co.uk/ni
Views: 136   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2007 9:32am
by Ann
Verneys
Does anybody remember Verneys and the Meletones?
Views: 152   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 11:40pm
by Beano
t
Thelma
Millers fish and chips Low Road
Hi, Do any of you remember Millers fish and chips just across the road from Fort Hill School? We used to go there at lunch time as they sold the best tasting greasy chips. Thelma
Views: 128   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 11:39pm
by Thelma
40s/50s
A lot of the movies I saw in The Picture House in the early fifties were already quite old, hence my confusion about the stars era.
Views: 302   Replies: 37
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 10:03pm
by Low Roader
Happy Memories
Hi All, I am going for a quiet glass of white wine now so tomorrow ,who is up for a stroll down memory lane to some happy memories of Lisburn when we were young & foolish, hope all the exiles will join in with us . Good night & God Bless to all...
Views: 190   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 8:42pm
by dabbler
a
Ann
cleaning poem
That's also very good, You deserve an applause!!!! In fact your stories and poems are so good you should really have a publisher. Sylvia.
Views: 138   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 6:28pm
by Ann
So where are you going on your holidays???
In view of the most miserable weather I have decided to book a holiday, off next tuesday to Spain. Its the FIRST TIME ever my sister and myself will go on holidays without children!!! (some of them were 18 yrs plus and still with us!!). I can't even begin to ima...
Views: 356   Replies: 45
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 6:27pm
by Pat
d
Donald
Silver Collection
How many out there remember in St Patrick's the silver collection? No pennies were allowed, stipulation was your contribution had to be a silver coin. People used to joke about Mickey Sharkey from Hilden, to comply with the stipulation he deposited on the collection...
Views: 258   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 3:33pm
by Henpickerento
p
Pat
4th of July
Hi all American Forumers, Happy Independance Day. No doubt u will all b enjoying the fireworks by now. Have a great day. Pat
Views: 167   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 8:32am
by Ann
s
Sylvia
4th of July
(usa flag)Thanks Beano, There are lots of fireworks planned for tonight, should be a great time. I would also like to wish all the other ex-pats in the USA a great and glorious 4th.(firecracker) Sylvia
Views: 125   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 4, 2007 9:14pm
by dabbler
j
Joe
Lisburn in the good old times
Lisnagarvey....Fort of the Gamblers, does anyone remember the card schools, the toss, the dogs, the horses, anything that moved could b bet on then. I was a gambler until I met my trump card from the Low Rd. My only bet now is on the big races The National etc. but...
Views: 514   Replies: 50
Last Post: Jul 4, 2007 6:08pm
by Ann
Forum
Hi all I am sorry but I am getting a lot of complaints from abroad about the forum that it is being used as a personal chat room by locals, while it has been setup for exiles around the world to reminise about old times. Sorry but but as you can see there has no...
Views: 544   Replies: 43
Last Post: Jul 4, 2007 12:08pm
by Joan Farr
d
Donald
Isle of Mann kippers
Hi all In Munich centre this morning in a Deli I saw kippers, here they are called Brados, I bought one and it cost €1,50 about one GBP. It stirred memories How many out there ever got a packet of kippers posted from neighbours and friends who went on a...
Views: 182   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 4, 2007 7:12am
by Donald
a
Ann
MAARKET DAY IN LISBURN
Sorry to butt in with another topic but feel I have to explain my absence later. As all the Lisburnites will know, this is Market Day and I SHALL GO TO THE MARKET. Beano and LR, wonder will I see any of your friends. Will let you know. Later, hubby and I have...
Views: 193   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 3, 2007 8:27pm
by Pat Burns
j
John
Forum Problems
Hi all, Jim's post has caused quite a stir but i can see his point and let's keep it for him the way he wants it. But if you all like i can set up an actual Lisburn chat page for all of you and as long as it's all kept clean you will be able to go for your life on...
Views: 198   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 3, 2007 6:16pm
by John
a
Ann
QUIET TODAY
Hi everyone. Just back from M & S after shopping here for over 2 hours. Hubby wouldn't come but said he would clear up if I went on my own. Seemed a good deal to me. Had the run of M & S, no-one following behind bored looking. Anyway, bought another few wee...
Views: 252   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jul 2, 2007 10:06pm
by Ann
a
Ann
same old, same old
Hubby usually works today but there's no work for him so he's here. In fact, with the 12th holidays coming up I don't think there'll be any work for him this week. It's an ill wind and all that. Now, I can go into town whenever I like and he can mind the wee do...
Views: 177   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 2, 2007 4:19pm
by Ann
t
Thelma
Comics
Hi, Pat's email about her brothers reading their Beano and Dandy comics reminded me about my own brothers when they would get them. When we came to Canada we used to get my younger brother Beano and Dandy Annuals at Christmas just so it felt like home. I used to...
Views: 463   Replies: 56
Last Post: Jul 2, 2007 11:19am
by katie stewart
p
Pat
Holidays
Happy holidays to all the Canadian exiles.Canada Day. Hear u r having warm sunny weather, lots of things to do & visit this w/end. My daughter is off until Wednesday so will b thinking of u all enjoying yourselves in the sun. Still rain forecast for us for this wee...
Views: 218   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jul 2, 2007 11:12am
by katie stewart
Query ?
Hi Joe , Could you please answer a query for me . What is and were is Spancil Hill as stated in the song , Also could you tell me is Cootehill a village or town , also named in a song . All the best . Tommy .
Views: 448   Replies: 34
Last Post: Jun 30, 2007 5:56pm
by Donald Watters
t
Thelma
Newspaper agent down the Low Road
Hi, Does anyone remember the name of the newspaper agents down the Low Road, near Spruce Street I think? Was it Rickerts? Thelma
Views: 388   Replies: 41
Last Post: Jun 30, 2007 5:16pm
by Donald Watters
a
Ann
FISHING
Anything to get the topic off football. Hubby and eldest son away to Banbridge for fishing tackle. Left the two dogs with me, knowing I'm going to wash the floors. Will have to lock them in the bedroom (the dogs). Then, same hubby and son will go fishing ton...
Views: 171   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 30, 2007 11:00am
by Ann
j
John
New Football Stadium
How is the new footbal stadium progressing in Lisburn? John
Views: 186   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jun 29, 2007 3:09pm
by Joe
Muriel Priestley Please contact again
Hi Muriel I have started a reply to you and interrupted it It went into my drafts folder and I can't add to it or get your email address from it. Please send a note to me and I will reply at once. Thanks Joan
Views: 234   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2007 9:44am
by Joan Farr
a
Ann
Wednesday Night/Thursday morning.
Here I am again wide awake. Went to bed early but just could not get to sleep so thought over what Katie said about staying up to 1 am. She's older than me so if she can do it so can I. I think it's all this chatroom stuff, my mind going over all the yarns. I...
Views: 188   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 28, 2007 8:09pm
by Thelma
p
Pat
Is there anybody there?
Have the women chased all the men away? Very quiet recently in that quarter. Is it a conspiracy? Maybe it is holiday time & with the sun, outdoor activity is taking over. Thank,s to Donald John & L.R. we r not deserted. As my wee grandson used to say when we put h...
Views: 248   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jun 27, 2007 9:51pm
by dabbler
Another query ?
Hi All . Does anyone remember a great accordion player named Jackie Ross , who used to play around the halls in Lisburn . Best wishes Tommy
Views: 295   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 27, 2007 1:07pm
by Ann
j
John
Martin Clarkes great debut for the Magpies
Composed Clarke continues his rise 2:25 PM Fri 22 June, 2007 | Back Nick Hulett for collingwoodfc.com.au Martin Clarke spoke to CTV about his whirlwind first season so far at Collingwood, which has culminated in him being selected for his debut against Sy...
Views: 174   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 26, 2007 4:39pm
by Joe
A wee poem from Senor & Senorita Low Roader
Ole we´re here in sunny Spain Y viva Espaná We´re sick to death of wind and rain Y viva Espaná The sun is hot and shines all day I do love Espaná It takes my pains and aches away I love my Espaná I lie and listen to my discs...
Views: 219   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 23, 2007 8:20pm
by Ann
Free Forum powered by Bravenet