Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
QUIET TODAY

Hi everyone. Just back from M & S after shopping here for over 2 hours. Hubby wouldn't come but said he would clear up if I went on my own. Seemed a good deal to me. Had the run of M & S, no-one following behind bored looking. Anyway, bought another few wee things for myself. When I came back hubby asks if I got anything. Not wising to give him a heart attack, I mentioned a couple of wee things and then changed the subject without him even realising it. He'll never know until the holidays and then it'll be too late and he won't be cross because we'll be enjoying ourselves. RIGHT. That's women's logic LR.

LR and Beano, who do you think I saw in M & S. The very slim and lovely Winifred McMaster. She was dressed in a cream trouser suit with a matching leather handbag (had to take all the notes to pass them on). I told her all about the Forum and of speaking regularly to her two heroes. She had a good laugh. Still walks her dogs, still has lovely white teeth and, as I say, still slim. She said I hadn't changed a bit either but I know she was lying because I'm at least 2 stones heavier. She was just being nice.

When I came home, younger son was here, newspapers spread all over the kitchen table, TV blasting out horse racing, crumbs all over the worktops, biscuit tin lying open, the place generally very untidy. Hubby had hoovered and was putting the things back into the loft. I just hear the oldest son back - they're a bloomin' nuisance. Would somebody take them. I'll pay good money to be rid of them both.

My two wee dogs were glad to see me - they have no sense and just wait for whatever treats I bring them back from shopping.

That's all - hope you enjoyed.

Re: QUIET TODAY

I've got nothing better to do, as usual, than pop in here to see who's about. Quiet, You say? Bomb threats evrywhere in the UK, so it seems, and you say -quiet.
And what's this with M&S all of a sudden? I thought Tesco got your money.
And on top of everything else, you've removed your email address!
I still wonder - are you real?

Dabbler,

She is real , with a typical female outlook on life.

Shopping is all. The fact that we are being bombed to kingdom come matters not a jot.

Now - cotton knickers - that's important.

This is fun.

Re: Re: QUIET TODAY

Dabbler & LR I've been so busy shopping I haven't seen the news. And me going to England soon. Anyway, we're used to bombs, bullets, etc. so nothing new here.

I remember one time going on holiday with the 4 children, to the South of Ireland - they were young and the troubles were in full swing. I stopped at Dunnes Stores in Castle Street to buy some towels - we were self-catering then , no money for hotels. Just as I got to the check-out with my towels, there was a bomb alert, sirens going off, alarms ringing, etc. everyone rushing out of the store. My youngest daughter tells me, she says she'll never forget it, I said to the check-out girl, "Please put these towels through as we're going on holiday". And she did.

Dabbler, I would never deprive you of my e mail address. Will check and if it's off, I will make sure it's on again!!

Hi Ann,
Not long in had to go to a funeral in Donegal.

Your story reminds me of a time a good few years back, shopping in Belfast before Christmas, at tea time all the stores were very slack, thought this is great, no big rush. Went to a pay phone (no mobiles then)said to sweetie, great here shops are nearly empty, he replied
get out of there there are bombs everywhere, and I cannot get down to collect u, had to make my way to the station, and was turned away from different streets, but got there in the end. Thank God

Would'nt want that back again.

Katie

Gosh, Katie we would not want that back. I used to work as a dental nurse in Gt Victoria St and a bomb went off in Dublin Road our surgery backed onto the building and I can remember the glass going into a bubble and burst around us. The dentist was giving an injection to a patient and not one person moved, dentist just carried on what he was doing! I hope they never return!!!!!

Maggi,

No Maggi, no one, in their right mind would want those years back again, it must have been worse working in Belfast. I am glad the dentist was'nt working on my teeth, especially with an injection in his hand, u never know were it would have gone.

Katie

Ann,
Plenty of music for u to dance to today, where ru.
or u to busy dancing.
Katie

Kate and all, Hubby & I went to church this morning. Dominic Ginesi was behind us and I intended to speak to him afterwards, tell him all the news from the Exiles, Anyway, the choir was so beautiful, really and truly, that I had to stand until the very last note was sung. For the first time in Lisburn, they sang my favourite hymn "All on an April evening". Brought the tears to my eyes. When I turned round he had gone. Anyway, was speaking to someone else who knows Dominic and she said that Maureen's daughter was being married in Italy next week and the whole Ginesi clan are going over.

THEN, I spied wee Paddy Taggart and called him over. Told him how people from all around the world were reminiscing about him and his beautiful tenor voice. Mentioned Beano and John McClinton. He was delighted. Said his favourite song still is Love thee dearest love thee. Not sure if that's the right title or not, but you know the one I mean. He's getting his plaster off tomorrow. Said he was acting the teenager someone where there was music and was jigging about and fell.

Watched a bit of Big Brother - wifey records it on Sky+ - then watched French Grand Prix - (at the precise moment of writing that, I recall a TV show, 'It'll be alright on the night', or similar, when an innocent young girl read that word out as it would sound in English) - I bet she still goes red; and then I watched Aidan O' Brien's horses monopolise the Irish Derby. No I didn't have a bet. When I was young(ish), I could not have watched it, with money in my pocket, without betting. But then, I couldn't have passed a pub without going in.

Dabbler, you surprise me. Watching Big Brother. Rubbish. You're like all like on the Forum, just by your turn of phrase. Bob Dylan. So, to me, I always think of Bob Dylan when you come on. Don't disillusion me please. Did you ever watch Calamity Jane?
You know the first verse.

Next verse goes, "Here's the man the sheriff watches. On his gun there's more'n 27 notches, on the draw there's no one faster and you're flirting with disaster when Bill Hickcock's reputation you malign and I'm glad to say he's a very good friend of a friend of mine".

I used to think I looked a bit like Doris Day. There was no resemblance at all but I thought she was wonderful and got my hair cut like hers, even though I was a red-head.

Haven't got any wiser with age.

Ann
I have an eclectic taste in literature, music, and films. I was pacing up and down, reading Bob Hope's autobiography, on the morning of my marriage, which doesn't sound very romantic, but I'm a soppy old sod. LR would vomit at some of the girly films I watch on Sky TV. Forever Young; I watched that twice.
Big Brother, when you can fast forward, with a bit of imagination reminds me of Desmond Morris's The Naked Ape. YOU would understand that aspect of it, since you try to assess people from what they write here. If you're good at it, this is the REAL me. I just like talking. My wife would say 'especially about myself'. I am still reading Bill Bryant, but it's his new one, about growing up. Have just read a chapter, and I'm going to love it.
And yes, -sorry LR, - I saw all those old Doris Day movies, and I remember all the stars of the fifties, male and female.
Wifey, as far as I know, only ever read one novel, albeit a good choice - The Thornbird.

Dabbler,

Had a look in at Big Brother, the worst Big Brother every, thought ur intelligence was above that sort of show. Sweetie said u were a very intelligent lad at school. If you know all the fifties stars, give up a few names.

Katie

Katie
Have you read 'The Naked Ape'?

Jane Russell, Betty Grable, Rita Hayworth, Humphrey Bogart Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy.
I loved the George Raft/James Cagney 'tough guy' films, but I also thought the African Queen was beautifully filmed, and Bogard and Hepburn were superb.

Bogart, of course, not Dirk Bogard.

Ann,
Always thought u reminded me of someone,u talk so slowly and always flickering ur eyes ,when I look at Doris Day whom I love, will picture her with red hair when she is singing "Secret Love".

Watching The Diana Concert, so only liked Lily Allen and the Ballet, wainting for it to liven up..

Katie

What about Doris Day, Gordon McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck,(that's spelt wrong) Lana Turner, Marilyn Monroe (maybe she wasn't 5os's) Clark Gable, Rosemary Clooney, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Errol Flynn. My mother's hero from the 40s I suppose was Denis Morgan.

Dabbler,Ann,

No never read the book, but watched Desmond Morris on TV years ago, I can quite understand what u mean.

Yes Rachel, is a great girl, I love to meet her she is so innocent, but can give some great replys, like the day a few years ago she said to sweetie God "u look old", going away sweetie gave her £1, she said to him "o ur lovely".

Concert starting to liven up Rocking all over the world with "Status Quo"

Katie

Would have loved to have seen the Diana Concert. Unfortunately, here on the web, watching the dinner. I know Diana loved Queen, as I do, don't know if they've played any of the Queen records. Big siser phoned, full of Wolf Blass. Lucky her. Watched the William and Harry interview last night. Thought it was good. Wonder will William get back with Kate Middleton. Pity if he doesn't. He'll not get better. I thought Diana was great, terrible tragedy. Still have my own suspicions about it, but what will be will be. God Bless Her.

Katie and sweetie, don't get carried away. I heard sweetie was a great jiver in his day.

Dabbler ,
Forgot to tell u, Jonny and Robert Keegan are both
dead R.I.P. Sweetie, does not remember the gypsy at school or Joe Spears getting beat up, but he always liked Joe, his memory is not as good as mine.

I cannot believe, people would tell porkies, on this site,how rotten.

Katie

Katie, how can you watch the Diana concert and be on the Exiles Forum. I know, multi-task, that's us. I'm trying to cook dinner as well. Hubby and eldest son are seated nicely in the front room, no doubt watching the concert. I think I'll have a glass of wine. I can enjoy myself too.

Ann,
I can sit and look out at the garden,tap my feet, and have my head and body swaying to the music, I have moved a chair so I can watch the concert too,talk about multi-task. Watched the Princes last night also, I think they are missing their mother, I also have my own suspicion on her death.
Enjoy ur dinner, why not have it all'aperto, it is not too bad to-day..

Aplu tardi

Katie

Katie
Lies?

Dabbler,

Explain what u mean about lies,don't u remember the old Lisburn at all?.

Katie

Katie
I read your bit first, saying you wouldn't have thought anyone would tell lies on here, and wondered what you were talking about.

Katie
I never knew Joe Spears, except as a 'big boy', who was a few years older than me, and was the best fighter in the school. The gypsy, probably travelling between sites, disputed that opinion, and, if my memory serves me correctly, just about outscored Joe in a vicious but fair contest, which was broken up by a cane swinging teacher.

DID I SAY "QUIET TODAY"?