Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Forum

Hi all
I am sorry but I am getting a lot of complaints from abroad about the forum that it is being used as a personal chat room by locals, while it has been setup for exiles around the world to reminise about old times.

Sorry but but as you can see there has not been very much traffic on the forum for quite a long time.

Re: Forum

No problems Jim we are all with you.
But you don't mind old stories from the past i always like to read those it brings back the memories..
John.

Jim, Would it be possible to set up a chat room for locals and then everybody would be Happy ! Thanks for all your Help. Margaret

Re: Re: Forum

Margaret, Great idea. I was thinking that myself.

Jim,
I think that some people do not seem to understand that any chat about lisburn has to involve locals.
Before the present influx the forum was dead for days on end.
Perhaps the people who are complaining could join in and then we could have a some real discussions about Lisburn - past and present.
sorry for the tone. I know you do a terrific job but it seems that some folk want only people living outside Ireland (or maybe even the UK) to be involved.
I do wish that everyone invoved would understand the void this forum fills for a lot of us.

Margaret,

Ann, got in on front of me, brilliant idea Margaret.

John, glad u enjoy the stories.

Katie

Low Roader,

You have really surprised me, u r a real Lisburn Lad,and here is me thinking u did'nt like the stories.
God Bless you.

Katie

Thanks Jim, Appreciate that, we exiles did'nt really want to know what local housewives were cooking for dinner or what hubby and sons and daughters are up to. Why don't you all just pick up the phone and talk to each other, you all live in the same town.
Thanks,Sylvia.

Sylvia,
I am sorry you feel that you are over informed about domestic arrangements of some Lisburn folk.
I find myself not always interested too in some of the discussions that take place vis a vis the temperature in Woola Woola in Australia and I take a simple action.
I do not read it.
Perhaps you could give us a list of subjects you consider suitable for airing and we could then try to build some comments around them.
We might even tempt you into increasing your involvement in the forum.
If this post causes you some discimfort I apologise but your post is, to say the least,surprising.
Regards,
LR

Thanks Katie they are all great stories.
John.

Dear Jim,

I am dismayed that you found it necessary to write your letter . I abhor censorship of any kind .

Pat

Sylvia,
What has your contribution been to the forum over the last few weeks? I don't recall seeing your name on any discussions. I personally enjoy reading all about what Ann, Pat and Katie are doing in Lisburn and I'm sure so do others.
Thelma

Sylvia, nice to hear from you. Fist time in my recollection, but then my oul mind's going. When you refer in plural to "exiles", as in "we exiles", surely you cannot speak for everyone. We'll hear the debate out. Have a nice day.

Ann, you're too kind!
Thelma

Thelma,

On behalf of Pat, Ann, and myself, I am glad you like the stories from us,thankfully I am a happy person and enjoy reading all the stories, no matter what they are about, especially from Austrlia, Canada, England,Ireland or even Tim Buck Too.
The news everywhere is so depressing, and the forum is so funny and innocent.

So thanks again Thelma.

Katie

Hi All,

Spelt Australia wrong, sorry to all concerned.

Katie

By the way,

First time on Sylvia, well hello there!

Hi All,

By the way Pat, does not live in NornIreland.

Katie

'to help make contact with others from, or who have an interest in Lisburn?' surely locals have an interest in their place of birth as do exiles. do locals not have the up to date happenings in Lisburn?Haven't the locals been very informative regarding any queries?

Hi All

When I listen to these new folk, I feel I am at home again in Norn Irn. I love their senseless chat, because the humour at home is simple and ridiculous and I miss it. So I would say stay. Sylvia, I can't remember the last time you posted, we don't really know you, although I am certain we would love to. Tell us a story and share yourself with us.

Liz

Hi Liz and everyone. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I agree with you about our NI humour. It is particular to NI - no-one else in the world would understand it. We can laugh at ourselves and do all the time. That's why exiles always buy those old James Young tapes - they're so funny and ridiculous, but of course you need to have a sense of humour to enjoy them.

Sylvia, just reading your complaint again.

I notice you presume that we are all from the same town. We're not. Just to quote from Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice", 'how clever of you to know something of which you are ignorant'.

Dear Jim,
Have been reading with interest to replies to your letter. I would be very interested to hear what those from abroad think? Hen

Pat
I see from your post that you would like to know who owns the internet, I do not know but I own Lisburn.com which costs me quite a bit of money and time.
Obviously I cannot please everybody so it might be better to close the forum down. All the complaints are coming into me and being retired and 72 I really do not need the hassle.
This was not what I intended when I set it up.

Jim I think I can speak for everyone when I say we appreciate the trouble, time and money you have taken to set up this site. I am a fairly recent member but it has transformed my days. I have re-connected with people from my childhood, from whom I hadn't heard in 50 years. As far as I can see, a fair amount of people love all the chat.

I would really like to know what the complaints are about other than our silly, local gossiping; how many complaints have you had; are they from the same 1 ,2 or 3. Is it the topics they don't like? These are usually tongue in cheek and meant to be both informative and amusing. As LR says, anyone can start a topic of their own liking.

These complainants seem to desire anonymity, putting unfair pressure on you. Why don't they come out into the open and we can ALL have a discussion about our likes and dislikes. I thought that's what a Forum was for.

I'm sorry some people are making it difficult for you but I certainly love the Forum and ALL the banter that goes on. Hope you are not forced to close down.

Best Wishes.

Dear Jim,
I fully understand your position in this matter & empathise with you . Difference of opinion & exchange of views is no bad thing . I'm sure a win/win solution can be found in this matter as closing the forum would please no one.
I, for one, get enormous enjoyment from it.I apologise for any misunderstanding my message may have conveyed.Being close to your own age I know how upsetting acrimony can be. Thanking you for your time & patience.
Pat

Oh Dear.... one clearly sees how the Northern Talks were protracted and difficult. Lets hope our solution is not 50 years in the distance eh???
Surely surely we are all adult enough to be capable of partaking or refraining in conversations, whether they be on the net or in person. There is a phrase in conflict called " a scarcity mentality". It means that one can regard a cake as being very small and therefore only a few can enjoy or you can have the mentality that the more you share something the bigger it becomes. If people are geniunely concerned that the forum is excluding the "real exiles" then use the system and start talking on the topics that you wish to discuss. TALK to those "locals" and ask for what you want or don't want. Its called being assertive.
Jim Collins is the person left holding a baby that at the moment cannot be pacified is fractious and as anyone who has held such a baby knows, sometimes you just have to sit it out Jim.
Let the children sort it out among themselves.
You have my empathy and admiration. Don't give up.
A request has been made for people to give their opinion, mine is: talk away about whatever you want or need to talk about, if you don't enjoy or want the conversation start one of your own or log off!!
On a final note: as an exile from Lisburn I was accussed of having too much "Northern Directness" maybe we need some it here and allow Jim Collins to do what he has done so well, host the site and give us the facility to talk.

Re: Re: Re: Forum

Jim,

Its a while since I,ve posted but I read the Forum each day. I confess to be feeling inundated by the lovely ladies chat, some I find interesting, particularlr the more historic issues, but day to day chat, I can pass on. It would be a shame to see the forum disappear and at the risk of offending the more talkative, should we consider limiting the length of posts, say to 100 words or less. Would have to be self regulated of course.

Sean

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum

And I thought Coronation Street was dead and gone????

You know...I thought the phone was a great idea!

Ann,

I am with you 100%, I live 3000+ miles away as you are aware, since you, Katie,Pat,Margaret and Maggi joined in as it were, the Forum is now "Alive". I have been a contributor since early 2005, we had periods when it just seemed to dry up,now I look forward to "looking"in.
As long as their are people like Dabbler,Donald,Low roader, Liz,Thelma,John,Joe,Ted, TmcC and TmcK to add their Exile comments, the mix just suits me just fine.
God bless you all.

Jim,

I am sorry that you are having to deal with complaints re. the Forum, I do know why you set it up, and I for one appreciate it so much. However, now with the "Local" input it brings Lisburn that much closer, and I know I can speak for all,we sure would hate to lose it.Thank you once again Jim.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Forum

sorry some people want to complain about the content on the forum.for one im really not that interested in what ann or kathie are cooking for supper except it makes my mouth water,but to complain no, not me as i may get a few cooking tips to pass on to my wife.
if what they are posting is of no interest to me i just glance over it and read on i know certain names of people they write about and usually people id forgotten in the 37 years since i left so in that im happy they are posting .

1 2