Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Verneys

Does anybody remember Verneys and the Meletones?

Re: Verneys

Verneys

Yes Jim, I remember Verney's, standing with my friends and listeing to the music being played through the open windows, as we were too young to go. Then as we got older, we were able to go with my friends older sisters, though not every Saturday night, the crowd was a little older for us.
I remember Ralph Burke went to Verney's nearly every week, he was a real nice bloke, everyone liked him, do you remember him?.

Katie

Jim,
I remember Verney's butchers as my Da was a butcher too. The shop was on Chapel Hill where Paddy Brogan had the chemist shop.
Joe

Re: Re: Verneys

Jim,

Seems I've got the wrong Verney's.

Joe

Re: Re: Verneys

Jim & Katie,

Sorry, the butcher's was BIRNEY'S.Old eyesight's not so good after painting all day. Joe

Hi Jim,

I remember Verney's but never went there. The Melotones were a Belfast Quartet led by Walter Davidson. They played at a couple of Mackies dinner dances in the late 50s., There was three guys and a girl(Belle Crowe) in the group. If I am not mistaken Walter and Belle were married and lived in Lambeg in later years.

Beano