Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Query ?

Hi Joe ,

Could you please answer a query for me . What is and were is Spancil Hill as stated in the song , Also could you tell me is Cootehill a village or town , also named in a song .
All the best .
Tommy .

Re: Query ?

Go to www.geocities.com/loretta/irish/span2.html for all the info on Spancil Hill. Yes it is a real place.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Joe ,

Could you please answer a query for me . What is and were is Spancil Hill as stated in the song , Also could you tell me is Cootehill a village or town , also named in a song .
All the best .
Tommy .

Re: Re: Query ?

Cootehill is also a real place. Go to www.cootehilltourism.com

Hi Thomas,
Spancil Hill in the song is an area in Co. Clare.
Cootehill is a market town in the Province of Ulster, 12 miles from Cavan town. It is one of Ireland,s premier angling centres. If u look at a map of Ireland it is in the centre between Cavan & Dundalk.
Hope this is some help to u, used to sing that song at parties, "Last night as I lay dreaming....." Happy days.....Joe

I have one of those nutty 'intuitions' of mine that says I should know Deirdre?!?

I would be very surprised if you did know me dabbler. I've been logging in to this site for quite a while now.
I think you are all just a little bit older than me. My dad was from Leamington Place and my mum was from Kilwarlin. I grew up in Lisburn and married into one of those Lisburn Italian families, but my husband is not from Lisburn. I really enjoy the craic and finally plucked up the courage to converse with you all. I am familiar with some of the names you mention, through my parents etc. By the way the Italian family will be meeting up in Ireland in August.

'Intuition' was way off, Deirdre. I thought your parents might be from Co Down.

Glad u joined the club Deirdre, u have me going over all the houses in Leamington Place trying to place ur Dad. I have a few ideas but will keep them to myself. Italian families, Genisi, Fusco?? We have italian connections in our family too so u r not alone. Welcome...Pat

Re: Re: Re: Query ?

Diddler, Low Roader might know your father. I may possibly know him as well. I've been going over the houses in Leamington and the name Watters comes to me. Am I near?

welcome Diddler,

The connection must be Genesi, they started a few years ago to meet again in Lisburn, right or wrong?.

Katie

Hi Deirdre,
Welcome to the forum! We need a few more ladies to join so those men don't out number us or they'll want to talk about sports and other manly topics. LOL

Thelma

Waters, did your dad work in the mill? and was Frankie any relation, nickname Panky, he was a great goalie?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Query ?

Ann,yes you are very near but perhaps someone can enlighten me. I am sure my father mentioned Watters as cousins, but my mum said they were neighbours to my grandparents Arthur and Mary, No29? My mum is now 81 and can be a little bit forgetful at times so I'm not certain what the connection is. And Frazer my dad did play soccer, I think when he went to Hilden school, but Frankie wasn't his brother. Also I recall the name Lisnatrunk, but where was or is that?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Diddler, Low Roader might know your father. I may possibly know him as well. I've been going over the houses in Leamington and the name Watters comes to me. Am I near?

You got it in one Katie. I haven't been to any of the re-unions so far but wil be going this year. Unfortunately there aren't many of the old family left, only the 3 girls and Dominic. Are you the one that goes to the market and talks about sweetie. I haven't got quite got the hang of this yet. Also was in Lisburn a few years ago, hadn't been back for 17years and felt like I just didn't belong there any more. Anyway if I go to the market while I'm there this year will keep my ears ******* for the name Katie. You could weara big placard around your neck announcing 'I'm Katie' surely sweetie would think you were really ready for Antrim!

Hi Diddler
Would you be married to Frankie?
I knew and know the Genesi family very well. Joe, Domnick and Maureen used to work for me at various times and I also knew Mary and Norman in Canada when I lived there.

Regards.

Hey, Diddler, you're getting Katie confused with me, Ann. I'm the one who was Ready for Antrim, still am as a matter of fact. Yes, Katie is married to Sweetie. I'm married to Hubby. I know all the Ginesis too. See Dominic every Sunday, he sits just in front of me in church. I went to the Tech with Sally Ginesi, who was very very clever. We all used to copy our homeworks from her work and SHE LET US. She married a first cousin of mine. SEE, everyone in Lisburn is related one way or another. You can say nothing.

Hey Diddler, I knew your grandparents. Better not say their name in case you don't want it known. My late brother, Malachy, used to go round to your grandfather and help him make home-brewed beer. Sometimes your grandfather couldn't wait for it to ferment and would open it prematurely, as which point the beer would explode all over the place. I also knew your grandparents' family and their family too. Still don't know who your father is though. The next door neighbours were Watters and beside them were McManus. On the other side of your grandparents were the McCormicks. My family lived just around the corner in the new houses.

Diddler,
This is like a puzzle, Ann was on to me, thinking back, was ur Dad a great raconteur? Joe? I remember one day in Lavery,s lounge he kept us in fits of laughter about the old "Low Roaders" & the antics of the football team, they had an Anthem "The Low Rd. boys forever " Ur Mum rang to say his dinner was ready but the craic was that good we never left for hours. Am I right???????Pat

Is,nt it a small world? Mary Ginesi was in the same class as me at school, used to bring us chips if we did her homework for her next day. Joe was a great pal of my Mother,s who used to go in to the shop for a chat. My cousin is married to a Genesi too. My uncle lived beside them on the Hillhall Rd. years ago. As a man once said during the Troubles "If u dig down deep enough you,ll find one of your relations" True. Pat

I'm gettin' a bit muddled up, what with Deirdre/diddler being younger, 'n' all that, but the oul brain is tryin' t' track Joseph, Frankie and Dominic, and their relationship to her. I remember them, and I THINK, their father, and at least one female. Didn't they ALL work in the excellent fish 'n' chip shop opposite the town clock? As I have admitted before, I rarely had two ha'pennies to rub together after I'd been to the card school, the bookies, and the pubs, but I could get a fish supper on tick any weekend.
I recall them as lovely people, generous to a wee lad wasting his youth. Had I met some of them when I was in my thirties, and no longer in need of a handout, we might have been friends.

Hi Diddler,
We have got u mixed up a little, Ann goes to the market nearly every week, I go just when the fancy takes me. Ann loves the market.
Ann is married to hubby,so as not to mix my hubby with Ann's hubby, I call mine sweetie (a joke)don't really call him that.
I knew all ur husbands connection although they were a lot older than me,Mary, Carol, Maureen, Joe, Frankie, Francesco,Noel,and another brother cannot remember his name, and of course Dominic, who I still see and Maureen see her now and again. Dominic is at church every Sunday as Ann said, he told me about the
reunion a couple of years ago. I told Dominic I had just been to Naples, so he sang a few bars of an Italian song.
Was ur husband's connection from Ballynahinch?

When I was a young girl (not many yrs ago)my friends and I used to go to the chip shop on our way home from school for a chip 6 pence in old money, and many a evening Dominic used to call us in, when we were passing his shop, tell us to go upstairs and sneak us a plate of chips. Happy days

Katie

Katie, hate to contradict you again but I rarely get to the market unfortunately. When hubby retires in Oct. I definitely will be there every week. I did get for a couple of weeks back as my daughter was on holiday but goodness knows when I'll get again. Missed my herrings this week too. While at the market recently, I saw a stall with ladies undies. Showing my increase in age and girth I lifted up a nice but rather large pair of 100 per cent cotton knickers which looked nice and comfortable - bought four pairs. If I get a chance, I'll buy more as they are really comfortable.

Anyway, will give you a laugh although it's the God's truth. As you know I went down to the Royal Hospital recently about my diverticulosis. Had a shower and put on a pair of my new knickers, not really expecting to be examined, as it was just a yearly check up. All examinations were carried out earlier. Anyway, hubby was with me and when the consultant had questioned me for a while he says, "I'll have a wee look at you". SO, I had to reveal my large knickers to him. To cover my embarrassment I says, "These are my Bridget Jones' ones". He mustn't go to the cinema because he looked at me, smiled and said, "Expensive?" ? I says, "No, just large". The nurse beside him tried to contain herself but giggled nonetheless. Liz, don't let the pastor see this or it will put him off his saxaphone.

Ann,

What would "Johnny Depp" think about those 100% cotton knickers??????????

Beano

Now Beano, just in case you get the wrong idea, I'd better put you straight. In my dreams of Johnny Depp we sail off in his pirate ship in matching bandanas holding hands, watching the moon glittering over the calm sea. As in all good dreams, an orchestra starts up and plays slow romantic music. Johnny sweeps me up in his arms and we dance and sway cheek to cheek until shadows cover the moon.

After we've kissed goodnight, we go separately to our cabins.

WHADDA YE THINK I AM BEANO - 18 again?

I remember those times in the distant past - memories, memories.

I went to bed earlier but couldn't sleep, even with the lovely fresh bedclothes. Now, I DEFINITELY won't sleep with all this talk about the Depp name again.

No not Frankie, he would have been old enough to be my father and it's not the Ballynahinch connection either.

Such clever girls!!! I never heard about the beer being opened too early, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. And yes Joe was my father and I think there were many times when he didn't come home for his dinner

aNN,PAT, THELMA, & ANYONE,
cOMPUTER NOT WORKING FROM LAST NIGHT, STILL NOT WORKING RIGHT.
u GO TO BED IN DAYLIGHT, GET UP IN DAYLIGHT IT'S A WONDER YOU HAV'NT JET LAG IN THE MORNING.

KATIE

Well, at least it proves I'm not a vampire. Don't know about you and Pat. Pat can do strange things with her teeth.

That,s because my Grandson is nearly a dentist. Reminds me I have to go to Kilkenny soon to keep an appointment before going to Canada later this year. Looking at the fares, gone up , cost 1000Euros for Joe & myself even to fly in October. Cheaper coming from there to here, but my daughter has no holidays to spare, we usually stay a month, but at these prices it is a problem, not to mention travelling club class which is easier for "old people" Have to hope the Lotto comes up trumps. Pat

Hi, Diddler,
If u r your father,s daughter u will b an asset to the Forum, he was humour personified, that was the first time I had met him, tho' I knew the family well in Leamington. Your cousin Thomas was my son's best friend since schooldays at Hilden School. Welcome again, let's give u the floor. Pat

Diddler, I still cannot figure out who your father was. Joe, but Joe who?

1 2