Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
40s/50s

A lot of the movies I saw in The Picture House in the early fifties were already quite old, hence my confusion about the stars era.

Re: 40s/50s

Jane Russell in The Outlaw -WOW!
And, dare we say it? La Dolce Vita!

Re: Re: 40s/50s

Hubby read out from his newspaper this morning that Gina Lollobrigida was 80 years old. Can you imagine that? It must be the Italian diet.

Its all that olive oil that keeps them going.

Dabbler,
I liked all the epics, The Cecil B De Mille ones, also The Black Swan, Custers Last Stand, Witness for the Prosecution, Mutiny on the Bounty, etc. One night we nipped out of the queue to buy chips in Fusco,s. In the haste we knocked over & broke a plate. Old Mrs. Fusco cried " U broka da plate, u owe me da shilling." Talk about rushing the queue ,we beat Gene Autry in getting out of there, we had,nt a penny to rattle on a tombstone. Peter O Reilly was my mate then. Joe

Talking about pictures, there is a sign on the T.v. ""No Satellite", what,s up Doc.? Back to the computer, it,s working. Maybe it,s the weather? No pictures on any station. Pat.
"

A girl - if still living, she would would be in her mid seventies - called Maureen Lavery, got me into writing off to film stars for signed photographs. She had lots more than I, but I had Robert Young, Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHaviland, Gene Autry, Bill Boyd, and quite a lot more. Roy Rogers, or someone on his behalf, wrote back and asked me for two shillings, so I never got his, nor even Trigger's.

Dabbler,

There's a double entendre there. Pat

I'm gonna mosey off and hit the hay now folks, 'n' give these old bones a rest. Y'all take care now. Gawbless.

Dabbler,
Was that Maureen Lavery thin dark & lived in Co.Down,? She was a friend of muy aunt, used to go to the Legion to Bingo with her. Lived in the Low Rd.then, her husband died of cancer,he was called Alfie. If it is so ,tell u a funny story about Maureen. Nice girl....Pat

Dabbler,
Was that Maureen Lavery thin dark & lived in Co.Down,? She was a friend of my aunt, used to go to the Legion to Bingo with her. Lived in the Low Rd.then,Lawnmount Crescent,she had 1 son, her husband died of cancer,he was called Alfie. If it is so ,tell u a funny story about Maureen. Nice girl....Pat

For some unknown reason, I don't feel sleepy tonight Hubby looked in just now and says, "Are you still on that thing?" However, will switch off as I don't want to get too excited before bed or I'll never sleep. After all, LR may come on and tell us about his exploits in the Tin Bath. Poor wee soul. Night all.

Good night to all from us too. Grandson arriving soon, so may b losing the laptop until w/end. Talk to u then, Nite, & God bless..

Pat

We never had a tin bath.
We were stood in the yard (later the working kitchen - how posh) and hosed down and then lathered in carbolic soap before being hosed down again.
I developed goose pimples as big as carbuncles.

Tut, tut, RLR, haven't you heard we don't tell fibs on the forum, not even porkies. Joking isn't telling fibs though is it. It's Irish, we're allowed to do it.

Sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite.

Liz

I do beg your pardon madam.
I hope you are not accusing me of a termalogical inexactitude.

I'll have you know I went to school in my bare feet .

...in the wintertime.

Good night and God Bless.

Did you????? I believe you. Goodness.

Sweet dreams.
Liz

Dabbler,
You can get Jane's moving on DVD now!
John

Ronnnie, I don't believe you were hosed down. Tell the truth, did you sit in your wee tin bath in front of the fire, 3rd one down, into the previous brothers' water? It's early but I can picture it. Quit blushing Been there, done that, have the teeshirt.

Yes RLR, come clean!

Liz,
I can assure you that after the carbollic and hose I WAS clean.
BTW auntie I meant to tell you (many posts ago) that my eldest brother was born in the lodge house at the Linen Research Institute at Lambeg Square. (I really do not know why I typed that in here but I am not going to waste my one finger symphony by deleting it.

Ann,
If you would please post in the proper order (like elderly auntie Betty) and me then maybe I could answer your taunts a little quicker.
You are,of course right about being third in line, but being a hardy soul I just (there's that word again Donald) suffered in silence.

I am going to change my name to,
Scrubbed of the Low Road.

LR sorreee but it is a bit early and I'm not very bright!! Will try harder though.

Dabbler,

Yes ur uncle Robert was married to Teresa McKeown, he was a very placid man he and Teresa had I think 7 of a family.

KATIE

LR, is Betty Thompson really your aunt?

Ann,
Are you my Kitchen Kween?

LR DEFINITELY!!

Ann,
As you should know Auntie is a term we use for ladies of an advanced age who are kind to children like me.
As auntie Betty is the only old time Lambegger on here (that I know of) I feel she is entitled to be addressed in this manner.
However, any more suggestions regarding my cleanliness as a youth may force me to transfer her category to those who spend all their days either shopping, gossiping or - heaven forbid - cooking and regaling us poor exiles with the delicacies available at the market in city of our birth.

LR see if I care. Re cooking, hubby and I just finished off a potted herring each. I have two left which I will give to my daughter. Gorgeous.

Re: Re: Re: 40s/50s

Off to Tescos to get my head showered and buy some groceries. Have to bring my daughter in England lots of Tayto crisps as she loves them, as do her English colleagues.

See you all later.

Advanced age! Advanced age! Look who is talking, near ninety, and me a mere 62!!!!!!!! Aged auntie indeed. I only lived in Lambeg for about 3 or 4 years, but my lovely aunt Betty Thompson has lived there about 50 years. Maybe you know her LR, I think you may. Well you knew my dad wee Billy. No, I suppose I am a Well Laner as I lived there for about 11 years. I think your mind is wandering from too much excitement, sitting up late in the forum. I would go out a walk and find it and bring it back. Don't wear your kilt though, weather windy and unpredictable.
Liz

Pat, Well spotted - the olive oil, I mean.
I don't know where Maureen moved to. I only remember her living down the entry in Bullicks Court, when she was, perhaps twelve/thirteen, but I'm not sure about her age either.
Katie
Robbie fathered a large family. He was with me in the chapel when I was 'confirmed'. I don't remember much about it, except renouncing the devil, with all his works and pomps.

1 2