Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another query ?

Hi All .

Does anyone remember a great accordion player named Jackie Ross , who used to play around the halls in Lisburn .
Best wishes
Tommy

Re: Another query ?

Jackie Ross worked at Langford Lodge ,Crumlin with me, we travelled together and I shall say no more.

Re: Re: Another query ?

Jackie Ross lived next door to my Aunt Minnie, Warren Park Avenue - but I don't know what happened to him.

Re: Re: Re: Another query ?

I remember the Ross,s used to live in the Low Road, just across the road from Mc Clenaghans shop,near Wilson St. Two nice girls & a boy called Jackie, maybe they r the same people, as I recall Jackie played the accordian. The girls all fancied him...Pat

Hi All ,

Many thanks for the quick responce to my recent Queries.

Tommy .

Jackie Ross married Lil Kane from Wallace Ave., was a brillant musician, but unforunately drank himself to death, finally living in Newcastle in a trailer I believe, his home was vandalized in Lisburn, hence the move. A good friend to all he met.

Hi everyone,
Just in from the Big Smoke.

To Thomas McKay,
Jackie Ross, was married to Lil Kane a cousin of mine,she used to live in Wallace Avenue, her father was manager of the Bureau in the 50/60. Lil's mother and my mum were sisters.
Jackie died a lot of years ago, yes he was very
musical played piano, and most musical instruments.

Jackie & Lil lived in Beechland Drive, never knew his
flat to be vandlised, they had a caravan in Newcastle and decided to live there. Jackie died of throat Cancer Lil is still alive and I believe doing well.

Jackie had two sisters one was called Dorothy who sang in the Cathedral Choir, cannot remember the other sister's name but she was married to a man called |Patterson who was Chairman of the British Leigon, he died a few years ago.

Yes Daphne, Jackie he did live in Warren Gardens.

Have to go now, no food in the Inn.

Kaite

Tom McKay,
Sent u details of Jackie Ross earlier, his other sister was called Lily, I think his two sisters sang in the Cathedral Choir, his sister Dorothy also sang at dances and Jackie played the piano, he played at my wedding 46years ago, or I mean 26yrs ago Ha Ha

Have u found out who I am yet? Sh Sh Sh.

Hi All ,
Many thanks to all for the info received on Jackie Ross , It seems in our later years , the names of people in the past keep popping up , but some i do not remember . Jackie Ross i knew in the younger days , and he was a likeable and very talented fellow , he always had a smile for any one he met , and a really good looking lad . I am sad to hear of his passing , a great talent lost . This website of Jims is a treat every time i click on , it is amazing the memories of the folk who take the time to add there wee bit of nostalgia .

Hi Kate Stewart .
I am still bamboozled , who you are , would you be one of the very young ladies who played with babbie dishes in the hallways of houses in Barrick Street in the early years. Did you live in Barrick St.
Maybe you do not know what babbie dishes are , Ha Ha.

To your question , do i still have dark wavey hair , no it is now waving goodbye . What is left is grey , but my wife , says that i do not have any wrinkles ,
which gives me a little boost , in my later years .
Us men like a wee compliment now and then .

Hope yourself and your husband enjoyed your trip to England , and every thing went well.
All best wishes .
Tommy .

Tom McKay,

Yes Jackie Ross was a nice fellow and good looking.
Yes to Barrack Street,I am sure I did play babbie
dishes in hall ways, enlighted me...............

Another clue: An Only Girl, but brothers.

Now I will be looking at every man in the City/Town to see, who has no wrinkles and then maybe I will know u.

I cannot believe u don't remember me, most people never forget me. Ann would tell u that, she always said I was like Virgina Mayo, though she may have been joking, never know with her. Ha Ha Ha

Katie

Katie, I said your youngest daughter was like Virginia Mayo. I still think so. You were/are good-looking too.

Re: Re: Re: Another query ?

Ann,
U r up early r in bed very late for u. What,s up, Doc???? Pat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another query ?

Thought I'd live dangerously just this once.

Ann,

Sorry, put my foot in it again, youngest daughter supposed to be like me.
How the work going?

Katie

Did you read "Ready for Antrim"? Not sure if I wrote that while you were away. That'll explain most of it. Yesterday we had two young fellas here, just half a day, so that wasn't too bad. BUT, we're not finished yet although could probably hold a wake now ok.

Ann,

Did read ur Antrim bit, very good,I could be there any day.
I still use the phrase although should'nt.

Everything will be lovely, in a week or so think positive.

Sweetie watching T.V. (politics) cig in one hand and coffee in the other he can balance them great, now he's away to pull one of his lettuce,he thinks they r great. He thinks he is in the Good Life, lettuce and tomatoes which will be 10p a pound by the time they are ready, should have bought ur Pat's chickens and we would have 2 fresh eggs daily.
He is in for a shock, we are going out.

Katie

Katie,
U 2 houseproud women would never tolerate chickens, never knew they could b such a nuisance feeding free range. OR living in the country, I smell .... now the farmer nearby is spreading it in the fields, say the smell is good for sinuses. Must close all the windows & make up some Zoflora. Yuk. Pat

After the tomatoes are all finished and you just have green ones left which won't ripen, you can make lovely green tomato chutney. I make it every year and, in fact, had welsh rarebit with tomatoes earlier on and had two big tablespoons of last year's chutney on it. Mmmmmmmmmm!! Lovely to serve at Christmas time too.