Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there anybody there?

Have the women chased all the men away? Very quiet recently in that quarter. Is it a conspiracy? Maybe it is holiday time & with the sun, outdoor activity is taking over. Thank,s to Donald John & L.R. we r not deserted. As my wee grandson used to say when we put him to bed & closed the door, "Is there anybody there"???? Pat

Re: Is there anybody there?

I's here!!

Re: Re: Is there anybody there?

"You is always there,
not altogethere but nearly"....Pat

Hello everybody. I was envious of Donald heading for Biblione, so off I went, with ‘The Boss’ of course, to Lido Di Jesolo. Near Venice. We spent a day in Venice itself, just strolling around, reacquainting ourselves with the ancient buildings and works of art. We had a meal outside, in a restaurant by the canal. We were with a couple of nice folk that we met at our hotel in Lido. In fact we spent a few hours every day with them. Lido has millions of shops. My wife and the new found friend loved them, and had much to discuss when we met up each day. The guy is a ManU supporter, but otherwise pleasant, who liked my sense of humour, so we all had a great time together at breakfast, and in the evenings.
Hot, hot, hot, all week. Fantastic beach.
Wifey and I were out walking in Lido one day when I stopped to take a picture. She strolled on. I dropped the batteries out of the camera, put them back in, upside down; put them in again, and took my snap. Then, as I trotted to catch up with The Boss, a Jack Russell took an instant dislike to me and hurtled toward me, snarling fiercely. The hair stood up on the back of my neck as his teeth got to within inches of my ankles, but fortunately he was on a long lead which his female owner managed to tug before he crippled me.
The one real negative about the whole trip was the invasion of mosquitoes. You rarely saw them, but boy, did they leave lumps.
Not as bad as the big clegs on the banks of the Lagan in my childhood, mind you. THEY weren't happy with just a drop of blood. They tore the flesh off you!
Keep smiling!

Welcome back Dabbler, u were missed as indeed anyone of the forum is, glad u had a nice holiday. Now, back to the business of replying to the masses. Pat

Dabbler,
did you by any chance see Willie Doherty,s" Ghost Story " shown as the British Council,s Norniron contribution to this year,s Venice Biennale down on the waterfront where the ships dock, Santa Maria della Pieta Castello? Gerard Byrne and him joined forces, Byrne representing culture ireland in the same building ,I mentioned it earlier this week as I couldn,t make anything out of it and was wondering if it was only me.
Donald

Hi Dabbler, glad you're back. Hope you had a great holiday Katie is away now too as is LR. I suppose we'll be "missing" people from now on what with holidays, etc. Although, as regards to LR, I think he is a stinker !! Johny Depp is back on my books again.

Thanks for the words of welcome, folks.
Donald, apart from walking, and a bit of swimming, I didn't do much. All I saw was an exhibition of sand sculptures. High art? Some of it was quite tall, yes. Anyhow, I was impressed; and it only cost a couple of quid to go into the marquee. I drank some Merlot, Cabernet, or something like that, and, over the week, a few pints of Italian beer. No, I didn't know they brewed it either.
My newfound friend laughed at my jokes, and his wife - she went to Grammar School - was impressed by a poem I recited, so I had one of my best ever weeks.

Dabbler
On June 12th I drove through Jesolo and Cavallino on my way to get the boat to Venice and got lost there on a diversion on a bridge.
How did you get to Jesolo? I imagine there must be an airport somewhere near being beside Venice. My first trip / impressions of Italy were driving there in an old Simca car with no 3rd gear about 30 years ago together with the wife and kids and staying in a Pension in Cavallino. The kids still talk about getting an ice cream cone there with liquorice flavour and a few items of clothing from the market which were much more stylish than the German fashion.
Arriving back in Munich then on Sunday night about midnight, on the last liter of petrol, having to go to work the next morning at 6.00 am and not having a care in the world. We had been to Tirol before but never so far south, Those were the days, young and carefree.
Donald

Dabbler & Donald,
Italy is a beautiful country. We were at a niece,s wedding some years ago, in Vernasco, near Piacenzia, loved it, small village in the hills, but loads to see, castles, quaint inns & markets and historical sites where interesting artifacs were on show. Some of the family went to Milan to the Cathedral & on to Venice & Florence but I liked it so much where we were, I stayed in the hills with Sis & hubby. Love to & hope to go back some time soon, but Canada has first call with the youngest grandchildren there. Pat

Dabbler & Donald,
Italy is a beautiful country. We were at a niece,s wedding some years ago, in Vernasco, near Piacenzia, loved it, small village in the hills, but loads to see, castles, quaint inns & markets and historical sites where interesting artifacs were on show. Some of the family went to Milan to the Cathedral & on to Venice & Florence but I liked it so much where we were, I stayed in the hills with Sis & hubby. Love to & hope to go back some time soon, but Canada has first call with the youngest grandchildren there. Pat

good Evening Kitchen kween,
Sticks and stones......

JD is a blow in from way out.
Us Low Roaders grew up eating JDs for dinner.
Hope everyone is well.
The weather, I am pleased to say has cooled down - it was only 32 today !!!!!

We cannot wait to get back to wind and rain like youse lot have had for days now.

I lie ----------- of course.

Regarding a certain verdict I hope u were Not lying Sir!!!!!!!
Pat

Low Roader Ya, boo. As far as I'm told, from a good source, you have been eating more than JDs for dinner. And you should a lovely young fair haired fella. There's me, I haven't changed a bit!! I think your holiday is coming to an end. Will be glad to have you back.

Buona sera Dabbler,
Glad ur back, sweetie (have to call him that,as I don't want to get Ann's hubby into trouble)and I have been to Lido Di Jesolo a few times, but I loved Venice, especially the boat journey, it was like going back in time. I can still see it in my mind. ( Like the windmills of my mind)
Sweetie and I have been going to Italy these past number of years, my favourite Country.
Lucky the little dog did'nt get ur ankles, u will have to make a poem up about that one.

Sweetie says, my favourite saying
"Quanto costa questo"

Buona notte Katie

Buon Promeggio, or something like that.Katie. Although I believe the Italian language to be the sweetest, and easiest to learn, I have never actually tried to learn it. Their operatic arias are beyond compare, and, (this is all subjective, of course), Italy's young women, aye, and indeed, their young men, are amongst the most beautiful on Earth. Yes, I like Italy.
I thought I told the story of my attempt to become a bona fide member of the paparazzi, foiled by the small but ferocious dog, in prose to match the best here, and in no way requiring rhyme to add shine to it. So there!
Why do you ask people not to 'blow your cover'?
Are you in disguise?

Dabbler,

I think u know who I am, I am shy so don't want to blow my cover, maybe Big Brother watching.
Italian almost sing when they speak, which makes their language so lovely.

Arrivederci

Katie

Katie,
Have u ever been to Cork? R as they would say "Ever been to Cork Biy?"That is real singing/talking.....Pat

Too many Big Brothers. Nessun dorma. Ciao!

Katie & Dabbler, my late brother married an Italian girl. Lovely looking and a red-head too. She was from outside Milan. They have twin daughter and a son and now 3 grandchildren. Our whole families went over to Italy for one of the twin's weddings (my brother had died by this time). We all stayed in a small hotel in a small village where the wedding was held. Small, but lovely I should add and very homely. The wedding was anything but small, they believe in a real celebration. We had a wonderful time and if you've never been to an Italian wedding I just couldn't describe it. I forget how many courses there were - might have been 9 or 10 and of course, piggy wiggy enjoyed them all. Then dancing, fireworks - so different. We were invited back the following year and stayed in the old, original family home. Had a fantastic two weeks there as the house is in the middle of the country in acres of farmland. We had the whole place to ourselves. Could almost write a book about that holiday - so much to see, the food, flowers, walking back from the town at night, no lights here, well relaxed after some wine the whole place lit up with fireflies. The quietness.

There was ballroom dancing held in the open every Saturday night - a stage was erected for this. We thought we could dance a bit. They were so disciplined and serious about their dancing. With a good bit of persuading I managed to get hubby on the floor. I think I threatened to dance by myself, and I would have too, you know with the music and all. The Italians do the dancing differently although they are still waltzes, foxtrots, etc. so I'm sure they wondered what we were doing. Great memories. Yes, I must agree, Italy is hard to beat.

9.30pm. newly made up bed irresistible and is calling me. will have a wee cuppa tea and then hop in. Goodnight, children, everywhere.

Did any of you know Danny McShane, related to Sammy and Frankie, I think? He had one eye. Married to Gaily. They probably have grandchildren in Lisburn.

Ann,
I know what u mean about the Italians dancing on the streets, we have been known to dance too, and like u swettie has to be trailed out, I also threatened to dance on my own, once he got up he loved it. We have also danced in Spain, I think it is great everyone joins in even little ones and they do take their dancing very serious. We should start dancing in Market Square,then we would really be in Antrim.
We have even done Irish Dancing in Florida on St.Patrick's day, we even got cheered.

Katie

Dabbler,

Danny McShane lived a few doors from your family,he has three daughters Patricia, Ellen and Anne, yes he has grandchiildren. You should have remembered the girls when they were little. Sadly Danny is dead.
I see Gilly nearly every week, will tell her u were asking after her.

Katie

Thanks for the news Katie. Sorry about Danny. I only really remember children, especially girls, who were ABOUT my age. When I reached teenage, I was barely aware of any kids in the area, apart from my siblings. Besides, I THINK Danny and Gaily, (Abigail, probably), moved, perhaps even before the children were born. Gaily was a pretty woman.