Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
same old, same old

Hubby usually works today but there's no work for him so he's here. In fact, with the 12th holidays coming up I don't think there'll be any work for him this week. It's an ill wind and all that. Now, I can go into town whenever I like and he can mind the wee dogs. I've asked him to clean the back windows - talented as I am re cooking, I cannot clean windows properly and I can't make jam either (I have never tried).

Only thing is, youngest son is still off work - he hurt his back - and he's here AGAIN. Just had a look round from the computer, YES, he's sitting at the kitchen table, twiddling with his hair, newspapers spread all over the table. Well, I'll get the hoover out soon and start polishing - that'll make him go up to my other's son's room where he can mess about as long as he likes.

As you can see I have nothing to talk about really. Better get hubby started on the windows and I notice the garden could do with a wee trim here and there, but he enjoys that.

Better go, lead by example, right?

Re: same old, same old

LR, meant to mention this before but I forgot. When I picture your house, you know where, I seem to remember your father standing at the door wearing a wine coloured sleeveless pullover. Would I be right or can't you remember? Men don't usually notice these things. I remember your mother with her white hair and wearing a pinafore. I know you don't even remember me at all but then you are an AWFUL lot older!! I bet you can name all the people in that row. I can name quite a few and on the other side too. Some of them still there today, especially with Scottish connections.

Ann,

Why don't u take urself out for some retail therapy, really lifts one up,even just to look and not to buy, with ur imagination it should work wonders, ur were great at composition at school, as I remember (and we were educated by the best).

Katie

Low Roader,

Before I go out, please let me know are u nearly 90yrs, (Ann keeps saying she is so much younger than u) if so that explains ur attiuted to women, especially to do with the kitchen and I forgive u.

Katie

Katie, between you and Ann, you seem to know everybody. My granny lived in Bradbury Buildings so I played a lot around that area. Girls I remember were my cousin Gloria Porter and her friend Irene Carlisle, Sally Coulter from a wee entry the right hand side of Chapel Street. Did you or Ann ever come over the County Down to do tap dancing in the hut in the wee park. It was great fun. I also remember a girl called Sylvia Little.

Liz

Ann,
I cannot recall colours but my daddy always wore sleeveless pullovers, so you could well be right. I got a real shock when I saw his photo on the site.
My mammy had really white hair, no dyes needed, and always seemed to have one of those pinafore type things on.
Both of them were real treasures and I will always be grateful to them.
I have a schematic done of the Low Road up to Spruce Street and Leamington has all the names of the families. I was missing Webb until you very kindly filled that gap.
My memory is pretty poor (probably caused by a lack of alcohol) but being on here has helped me fill in a lot of gaps.
As regards my age I will answer that point for Katie.

Katie,
As I am sure the kitchen kween can confirm to you, I am nearer 90 than 50.
I use the forum to say the things about wimmin that I do, simply because I am a totally hen pecked husband and this allows me to express my frustrations without “she who must be obeyed” being aware.
Forgiveness is a state of mind and I would be surprised if you were not a forgiving person.

Liz,
The kitchen kween and her acolytes have nothing better to do with their lives than reminisce. As I am sure you are aware they can afford to go around all the shops talking to anyone who is prepared to answer their questions.
They would, I am sure, have made excellent inquisitors

Hi Liz,

Yes I know Gloria Porter who is married to a McPolin, whose father was a great friend of my father, did Irene Carlisle,live on Market Place, facing the "Salvation Army Hall", Silvia Lyttle I have heard off, but don't really know her,Sally Coulter I know her to see.
Years ago in Lisburn everybody knew nearly everyone, now it would not be the same, a lot of strangers (our blow in's) in the City/town.We r the older generation (not too old). (Longstone, Low Road, County Down, even the Causeway End Road)

I went to school with girls from the County Down and all the other places in the town as it was called then. I played in the wee park many a time, especially in the summer, did'nt do tap in the park, but went to Belfast, on a Wednesday and Saturday to do tap and ballet in a big hall in May Street.
A friend and I used to get the bus to and from the Black Man, and on our way back to Lisburn while waiting for the bus we always went into a little cafe for a drink, we always had enough money for our bus,dance fee and a cup of tea and that was it,well this day in particular we were eyeing the buns, which ones we would like,although we did'nt have any money for them. The waitress came with our tea and two pastry, we looked at her and said, we did'nt order those, she replied the gentleman, who just left paid for the buns for u, we could'nt believe it, but got stuck into them, they were lovely, although we still looked around to see if he was about and to thank him, though we were a very scared.
Imagine any man doing that to day, we never told our mums, or that would have been a different story, as even in those days u were told never to speak to strangers.
Now, a few yrs later at dances, well that was a different matter!!!!
Anyway a small world is'nt it.

I must say I had a great time when young, loved every minute of it.

Katie

Katie, yes Gloria married Frankie McPolin. The last time I saw her was at my mother's funeral, she was looking lovely. Her mum, my aunt Jean, or Ginny as she was sometimes called was a real entertainer, would have sung and danced at parties, they also lived in Bradbury Buildings and later in the Low Road. Yes, her and Irene were always seen together, she did indeed live opposite the Salvation Army hall. If I knew what your name was I might have known you, I was always in the wee park, or on the streets playing.

Hi Liz,
Don't want to give too much away,but will give u a clue later, I remember Gloria's mum to. Irene is married to a fellow called McIlroy, his brother is married to a girl from the County Down Hazel McLean, who had a brother call Duncan sadly dead, what a lovely fellow he was.
Duncan and another fellow had a little group and played at my son and daughters wedding reception.

Katie

Re: Re: same old, same old

Liz, Gloria Porter and I shared a ward in LVH in 1970. I had younger son and she had a wee boy too. She also had a little girl a year or so earlier. Wonder is it the same one?. I see her around sometimes - she's very trim and likes jogging. She used to work in Barbour Threads. She had/has a friend from those days but I don't know her name.

Katie, I think you feel sorry for me. Don't worry, I will be out tomorrow, first to the market, then to Next for that wee top I could not find yesterday. Then hubby has to go to Dungannon for his pre-op examination in the afternoon. We'll buy our dinner out but, as usual, will have to make something for the "children". They sit here like two useless lumps, either side of the table, waiting for me to come home and cook. Will do spaghetti bolognese. No offers yet for these two?

Katie, thanks for the compliment. I know, I loved compositions. Briege O'Neill was good too. Still love writing. Think that's why I like the Forum so much. I can put my thoughts down. Still have a great imagination too. Yes, we had brilliant teachers - nuns. I always say now, when looking back, they did more than just teach academic things - they taught you a way of life - manners, etiquette, gentleness, things you would learn I suppose nowadays at a finishing school. Not that we heeded all we were taught but still.

I remember the morning I was married on 22nd June 1961, a wee girl from the Convent School came to our house. She handed my mother a note to give me. The note was from Sr Vincent (the Head Nun) and it was addressed to me in my maiden name of course but she had added in brackets "for the last time". I'll never forget that. It was so thoughtful.