Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Lisburn in the good old times

Lisnagarvey....Fort of the Gamblers, does anyone remember the card schools, the toss, the dogs, the horses, anything that moved could b bet on then. I was a gambler until I met my trump card from the Low Rd. My only bet now is on the big races The National etc. but still look back with fondness on the winning streaks I had, especially in Ridgeway St. at the Toss, Celtic Pk at the dogs & on roll-ups on the horses. The Big Hall had some great card schools too. I have forgotten the fortune I lost to the bookies everywhere in Lisburn, Dundalk, Belfast. If I get the chance I will still make it to Cheltenham some day. I can dream can,t I?????Joe

Re: Lisburn in the good old times

Joe, you were in a quare dream this year when you forgot that the National was on.

Joe,
Yes I remember the Pitch & Toss at the bottom of Pump Lane, as it was called then, playing in the card school in the Billiard Room every night, I never had any luck at Pitch & Toss or Cards the only luck I ever had was meeting Lady Luck from Barrack Street, just like u.

G.

Swettie

I asked hubby if he wanted to contribute anything as regards gambling pitch 'n' toss, billiards, snooker or anything. Not wishing to incriminate himself, I suppose, he just said "No". Think he's more interested in getting all his gear out for fishing.

He just this minute said you'll have to wait for his memoirs to get all that information. He's a cute one, I say he's a cute one.

Sweetie will remember my father riding a bicycle. He rode it to and from work, BUT VERY SLOWLY. I really don't know he kept it upright. When we would see him at the top of Leamington riding home from work, we would run home and tell my mother that daddy would be home in half an hour or so. (it would normally take a few minutes).

Ann& Pat,

Sweetie only remembers ur daddy walking to work with Jimmy Hanna and Joe Duffy every day. He said ur dad was a very quiet man.

Katie

Yes, my dad was a very quiet man. One day I remember he opened the door to one of those (no offence to anyone intended) either Mormons or someone of that ilk. He was at the door such a long time that my mother says, "Who the devil is that keeping that man at the door". My father was talking nicely to these people but would never have got away in a month of Sundays. My mother went to the door, had a look, pushed my father into the hall and slammed the door shut. I remember my father tut tutting and shaking his head all the way into the living room.

He was quiet but was a tough one too in other ways. I suppose he had to be, being in the army for 25 years and fighting at Dunkirk. Of the two, my father could have survived better without my mother than she did without him. Mother was all fire on the outside but was really vulnerable inside.

Wish they were here now. They would see such a change in everything.

All u girs,

Who remembers the full skirts with the big petticoats, which by the way were all back this summer for the younger girls.
I used to make my own frocks and when I made my first petticoat,which u had to put very fine wire into, I got one eight of an inch wire, my frock really stuck out, but I had to keep it up with a belt and even then it kept falling down, off course I had to change the wire. My mother kept saying ur not going out like that.

Katie

Yes, Katie, I remember the full skirts with the net petticoats. I never could sew, but I remember putting starch into the water when rinsing the petticoats to make them sit out more. They were lovely. What trouble we went to and the men still wear the same old shirts, ties and trousers. Do you remember the skirts with the cumerbunds. Couldn't wear them now of course. I still don't know how I walked to the bus stop at Hilden in 4" heels, worked all day in Belfast in the same shoes, and then walked home. I always bought my shoes in Saxone in Belfast. Thought I was the bees' knees. A certain friend of yours, who worked with me in Belfast, used to go to C & A EVERY Friday and bought herself a new dress or skirt. She had a very grown up figure, if you know what I mean. I always envied her, not the figure, but the clothes. Never see her about much now.

Ann & Thelma,Liz,

Yes I used to wear 4" heels, as a matter of fact still wear a high heel when going somewhere special, but don't rush me.
One Saturday in the 50's I was shopping for my mum, I had lovely black & white shoes on with big heels, I
met a girl called Wilma (from the County Down), she asked me where I got the shoes I told her Saxone in Belfast,she said I would love a pair come to Belfast with me in the train, I said, I can't my mum is waiting on her shopping, before I knew it we were on the train for Belfast. We ran through the streets to Ann Street, Wilma got her shoes, back to the station and home to Lisburn. We said our goodbys, she heading for Bridge Street with her bag of shoes, me heading for Smithfield, by this time I was nervous, I was away soo long, mum said, what on earth kept u. I told a lie, and said I met different people. She never knew that I had been to Belfast and back.
I used to do spontaneous things, a bit more sensible now.

A happy days they were great.

Will tell another story about my blue high heel shoes .

Katie

Re: Re: Lisburn in the good old times

Katie, thank goodness, like myself, you're not a bit more sensible. Sensible is OLD. And, yes, I wear high heels when going somewhere special too. Must tell you about the time my friend and I went to see a tribute band to Queen in the Civic Centre. She wasn't impressed with my shoes and told sis in no uncertain terms what she thought of them. And me thinking I was lovely.

Ann,

I know what friend ur talking about,saw her a few months ago, she has had two hip replacements. U must have had good laughs, when u worked with her, I see her cousin on the net.

Katie

Katie, I cannot even get ONE hip replacement. My GP says when I cannot walk, he'll refer me. Probably all down to those 4" heels.

Ann,
I was just back from Rome, so understandably with all the historical marvels there,where does the National figure, it was the last thing on my mind. Remember your sister has been my wife for 50years now ,so the old days of gambling r only a dream. Still once a gambler always a gambler. I do the Lotto every week 12 Euros
, SSSHHHHHHH Joe

G,
Did we win r did our luck run out???? Joe

Those memoirs will b worth reading. Joe

Katie ,
My Dad was quiet but very dry humoured, he was the best, I,m sure Dabbler remembers him teaching the recruits in the "Terriors " in Wallace Avenue, Everyone had a good word of him, he was one of the old stock, had it hard, went thro the War, Dunkirk, the Lot, went in again for D/Day, the unsung hero, medals on the wall, saw it all,said very little, thought a lot, I lost my best friend the day he died. Anniversary this month. Wish he were here now. Pat

Re: Re: Re: Lisburn in the good old times

Maybe, but I bet not half as good as mine!!

Pat,
Just like my older brother, he fought in the 2nd world war an Irish Guard,he was in Germany, he used to say when I turned my nose up at food, he saw German children eating out of the bins rats were in, he said in later years he never wanted to see another war. Do you remember the German prisoners of war in the Markets at Christ Church?, I remember them getting a brake a sitting on the footpaths and having a smoke.
Then the parish priest came and asked my mother, I think it was Christmas Time would my mum and dad give a prisoner a Christmas dinner,I am sure she did so with hesitation, due to my brother fighting on the other side, it continued after Christmas also. My family took two prisoners in for dinner, I was only a little girl, and one of the fellows made me a ring out of a coin, weeks later he said he had a doll nearly ready for me, and one morning when I got up my mum said u won't get the doll the prisoners are away.
On D-Day my brother was in Holland, and the Mayor of the town asked each soldier what they would want as a little gift and believe it or not my brother said a doll for his young sister, and in due course the doll arrived a little dutch doll.My mother always said she hoped some German famiily would be kind to her son as she was to the prisoners and again believe it or not, a German family was. Also my cousins were in the RAF
so I am sure my aunts were'nt too pleased with my mother and father,but my mum was always close with her sisters. I am proud of my mother and father for the charity they showed to those fellows and by the way other families done the same, remember rations were on at the time.

Katie

Katie, re the rations. THAT'S the reason I like my food!! And all the time I thought it was worms.

Katie, I think I know Wilma from the County Down One night she went to a dance all dressed up in the fullskirts and starched petticoats The petticoat caught her stockings and pulled a thread and the stockings fell down from her knees. She had a very red face . One other night a girl called Rita also from the County Down was dancing with a fellow called Ronnie from Low Rd/Hilden and she left her false nail on his jacket. Those were the days.

Katie,

What a lovely story. I remember my Dad bringing a prisoner to r house too, he got tea & buns, he was only a young lad on his way to Kilwarin I think. All wars r terrible, leave a mark on everyone, an indelible one. I also remember I invited some Belgian soldiers to my Granny,s for tea, they got boiled eggs & salad. I was only a schoolgirl & I think the family were surprised when these young soldiers arrived at the door. I remember one of their names even yet...Maurice De Witt. Wonder if he is still alive? They were delighted to b in a family home again. Could,nt speak any english but we managed. Pat

I wonder did LR keep that false nail forever?

A boy from Southern Ireland attended St Josephs'- The Boys, for a short period of time. I was jealous of him, because he read as well, - I would never admit that anyone read better than I, - and with such a lovely posh accent. His name was Malachy Keegan. He had very curly hair, and was smartly dressed.

I wonder did LR keep that false nail forever?

I knew it was only a matter of time before the question was asked.

False teeth more likely.

Well KK I am not telling - so there.

I can, however inform you that the incident could only have happened in the EMB or the hall over at Cromwells Highway.

I would suggest that further investigation is required from Margaret to ascertain exactly where this incident occurred.

BTW I have to come clean here and confess that the thought of me dancing at that age sends me in fits.

Now if it had been The Grand old Duke of York or even the Farmer's in his den, I may have been more likely to have been the guilty party.
I was never renowned for tripping the light fantastic.[Dance-Cpatch[Dance-Twist]

Oh dear Low Roader, Hubby and I love ballroom dancing but haven't been able to dance since last October. Hubby damaged a cartilege in his right knee. At the end of July he goes in for surgery, thank goodness. I said that with his right leg gone and my left leg not too supple, we could do a great tango.

Dabbler,
Just opened up, in Donegal to-day at a funeral not long home,would have stayed but weather not too good, were as well at home.

Anyway thought all u men would have had a field day on the Forum today, all to urselves.

Sweetie, said how could anyone read better than u,he said u were a very smart lad at school,he does'nt remember a Malachy Keegan, only remembers the Keegan's from Smithfield.

Yes Dabbler, I see that Ann has now gone up market again,next she will be flying to Harrod's for her shopping. Very busy lady.

Yes I see by the news, not to good over there, what with floods, now car bombs, glad I am home, to little old LISBURN.

Katie

Katie
Malachy Keegan, related to one of the teachers, was there for only a short time. I remember very well the Keegans from Smithfield. The son of Johnny, unless dying young must be still around, as he would be only about in his late fifties.
Sweetie, as you call your long suffering husband, DOES appear to remember me, as, until I left to go into the mill, quite a few boys used the word smart to describe me. That is, when I was listening.
As a seven, eight, or nine year-old, 'Sweetie' was, along with myself and Rucky Bell, selected to be one of a 'gang' by a gypsy boy who, again stayed only for a short time. The gypsy was one very tough lad, who beat Joe Spears in a schoolyard scrap, and then chose a gang to charge up and down the yard with him, bellowing like Red Indians.

Dabbler, my wee granddaughter Rachel does voluntary work in a respite centre up the Longstone in Lisburn. Rucky Bell is there, still has his head of black wavy hair although I've only seen him from the car. Hubby told Rachel to tell him that her granda and he went to school together, so she did. Rucky remembered Hubby. Don't know what's wrong with Rucky as Rachel wouldn't be able to tell us. Another one who attends maybe monthly is wee Jimmy McCormick. He always gives Rachel a £1. Very good of him. I think he knows who Rachel is too. They love to see her coming and she goes round the older people, giving their hands a massage and talking to them. She actually won "Young Volunteer of the Year" last year for her work there. We're not thankful enough for our health when you hear of people like the two above, only our ages, and needing care. I didn't ask their permission to mention them but I don't think they will mind. Hope not anyway.

Ann
I was 'listening' VERY carefully the first time you mentioned young Rachael, and hoped you were not spinning a yarn, as I am a real little old softie when it comes to such stories, and would have thought a 'made-up' tale like that to be in poor taste. I now believe you, and I feel like I've been peeling onions. Don't want that word about my eyelids blocked again!

Dabbler, wee Rachel is great. Certainly wouldn't make up a "sicko" thing like that. She has brought us all so much joy and happiness and an awful lot of people in Lisburn and further afield know her. She's as happy as Larry and Katie has met and talked to her many a time and has had a good laugh with her. She has a great social life and had an overnight stay on Fri night with a Care Manager who loves having her. This girl also does aromatherapy, that ear candle thing and pedicures. I went down once and got the works - it was heavenly. Rachel gets the full works for free. She does have beautiful nails. She is very innocent, though.

One time when she was at her special school, the police came to talk to the class (only about 7 children in each class). They were invited to warn those vulnerable children NOT TO TALK TO STRANGERS OR GO WITH THEM. They explained that strangers could be lovely looking women or girls, nice young men, anyone they'd didn't know was a stranger and they were to shout "No" if approached. They all listened intently and shouted "NO" when the policeman asked them what they would do if approached by a stranger.

Anyway, the policeman left the classroom, changed into civvies, and each child in turn was sent out into the corridor for a pretend message, just to see if the advice had got through. The policeman, in his ordinary clothes, approached the children. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE CHILDREN would have gone with him.

Rachel is now 21 but is mentally I would say about 6 or so. Still believes in Santa. She's well cared for and loved and has no worries. Her 3 siblings care for her very much, they're all younger, and her parents buy her the latest clothes, get her hair highlighted, etc. She does know if someone is staring, as I said before, and will say to them. "Do you see enough - want a picture?". I used to work for a psychiatrist and he told me that Rachel KNOWS that she's different from her brother and sisters. Sometimes I catch her looking in the mirror at herself and I always say, "Rachel, you're gorgeous". But I still think she knows. Sad in a way. No, Dabbler, you don't know me if you think I would make anything like that up.

1 2