Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Millers fish and chips Low Road

Hi,
Do any of you remember Millers fish and chips just across the road from Fort Hill School? We used to go there at lunch time as they sold the best tasting greasy chips.
Thelma

Re: Millers fish and chips Low Road

Thelma, of course. My aunts, who lived in Roseville, would send my daughter on a Friday night to Millers. Instead of getting 3 fish suppers for the 3 of them, they would get 3 single fish and a chip. Reason being with a single fish you always got a few chips anyway. None of that now.

Re: Re: Millers fish and chips Low Road

I can't remember seeing them when I was in Lisburn last year so I assume they're now closed?

I was sorry to see that Montgomery's ice cream parlour on Castle St. was closed. I'd have loved a sundae.
Thelma

Were'nt the wee shops then cosy & meeting place for neighbours, we left an order in Millars for the fish for it was always sold out early. It was slow & slower there getting served, chips & fish were lovely.
The chat was good too, same customers every Friday night, chips were made fresh.
Pat

Re: Re: Re: Millers fish and chips Low Road

Good morning Pat and Ann, well it still is morning here.
I had my fair share of chips from a little place in Newtownards last year. Got back to Canada and had to go on a diet after that holiday.

I won't be doing any cleaning today as it's to be 34c by the afternoon. I'll be back on later as I have to run some errands. Have a good evening chatting.
Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Millers fish and chips Low Road

Yes, Millers is closed this many a year. There is another chip shop there now. I'm sure with Forthill School just across the road they do good business. But then, you never know, with all this healthy eating lark!!!

Thelma,
You can have a sundae every week.
It falls between saturday and monday.

OK I'll get me coat.

Millers fish and chip shop was worst of the worst. He only started cooking when you ordered and even if there were six in shop (it wouldn't hold any more) he would only cook one order at a time.
I am sure he had one of those slow cookers that only took one piece o fish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Millers fish and chips Low Road

Hi Thelma,

I love Canada in the Summer, at least u can depend on a Summer. A lovely acer tree has blown over in the back garden whilst we were at dinner, it is blowing a gale here. Still raging. In the old days people would say "When u don't know the difference between the seasons it's near the end" This last 2 months the end should have been & gone. Pat

Low Roader,
That's a pretty cute answer to the problem with my sundae!

All the girls at Forthill loved those greasy chips and we didn't mind the wait. Nothing better to do.....no boys around. They were all at Lisnagarvey.
Thelma

Thelma,
The only problem I had with Forthill was the fact that we lost the Hilden Rec. cricket and football pitches to it.

Hi Low Roader,
I forgot there was a huge park behind Forthill. I used to wave to my Granny Ramsey on Victory Street from the playground. Seems like a century ago.
Thelma