Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Happy Memories

Hi All,
I am going for a quiet glass of white wine now so tomorrow ,who is up for a stroll down memory lane to some happy memories of Lisburn when we were young & foolish, hope all the exiles will join in with us .
Good night & God Bless to all
Pat

Re: Happy Memories

ONE quiet glass of wine. Who are you kiddin? Up for it tomorrow though, down Memory Lane, if my memory comes back.

Re: Re: Happy Memories

I remember the corner boys, playing marbles most nights. Glassys, the big stone ones, (the real ones). How innocent we were then, hunched down, thumb behind the marble, then there were the" Funkie shooters" they shot with their nail. Good game. Good game. Fellows were champion marble shooters, one street played another.Leamington had good players so had East Down View. Great craic altogether, the discussions that resulted after a close win, the training of young players, where did the game disappear to, that bunch of earnest players at the corner, a ring around a hole in the tarmac, I see them now. Happy memories. Hen

Hi all,

Who remembers the fly side on a Sunday night, I never had the nerve to walk on the picture house side, but my friends and I would walk up the other side and look over.(Very daring)

What about the rag and bone man, with his horse cart, looking jam jars for a balloon, the children all running after him to try and see if he would give them one, or the tattie hokers, all huddled together on the back of the lorries,with no covers,they were soaked if it was raining, to go to Blaris and Hillsbouough to dig for potatoes,there backs must have been sore by the end of the day.

Who remembers going to Gracey's in the summer to pull
strawberries for a few pound.

And did any of u boys ever play hand-ball in Smithfield on posty McKeown's wall,McKeown's never, never, complained,there was always one lad keeping dick, watching for the police coming,harmless fun, but u could have been summoned if caught, just like the pitch & toss.

Katie

Those squads of "purty hokers " made us Hilden and Lowroad boys redundant, they came from Belfast from around the Market area, Hayes was the name of the wholesale firm who employed them. It was the localfarmers who employed us at first then came the wholesale merchants and bought the whole crop and harvested them with their own workers. They were not to be envied as Katie says, up from Belfast on the back of a lorry, working in a crouched position all day , lunch a jampot full of tea and a jam sandwich, then home again on the back of the lorry, for a pittance.
I remember working for a farmer at Hillhall purty hoking and the Genesi brothers coming to buy sacks of large potatoes for their chip shop. Then for a short time the price of a chip went up when they were frying new potatoes
Donald

Re: Re: Happy Memories

Donald,

STILL HAPPENS, NEW SPUDS, DEARER CHIPS. WE MAKE OUR OWN, NICER. NOT THE SAME TASTE THO' AS
GINESI'S R THE NIAGARA. ASKED A CHIPPER IN lIMERICK
RECENTLY WHAT HE FRIED HIS CHIPS IN. HE SAID
"PIG FAT" CHEAPEST & BIGGEST SELLER OF FISH & CHIPS IN LIMERICK, SMALL SHOP FAMILY RUN, NEVER CHANGED ALWAYS PACKED.
HEN

Katie
Graceys = raspberries. About six d a tin, I think.

Dabbler,

Oh! Oh! who wears the trousers, do what I do, I keep a duster handy, and when sweetie comes about, I let on I am dusting, but it does'nt work in the evening.

Katie

Katie
Don't know if that is in reply to raspberries, but my missus (wears the trousers), and is welcome to them - in her home.