Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4th of July

Hi all American Forumers,

Happy Independance Day. No doubt u will all b enjoying the fireworks by now. Have a great day.

Pat

Re: 4th of July

Hi Pat,

This is my hubby/sweetie's birthday, the Americans loved him because he was born on 4th July ????????, wish we over there now.(is'nt there a song called than)

Katie

Re: Re: 4th of July

Yes Katie, James Cagney sang "Born on the 4th of July" in a film " Yankee Doodle Dandy"

Those were the days, good films. Pat

Happy Birthday Sweetie,
Joe & Pat

Hi Katie,

The song is called "Yankee Doodle Dandy" written by George M.Cohan in the early part of the 20th century.

Happy birthday to "Sweetie"

Happy "4th July" to all our U.S.Exiles

Beano

Re: Re: Re: 4th of July

Hi all,
You have me singing it now, Joe says "I,m going to pour a whiskey after that "
Pat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4th of July

Happy 4th of July to all Americans, exiles or otherwise.

Pat
Tell Joe I'm with him 'in spirit'.
Here's lookin' at you.

Dabbler, that was Humphrey Bogart -"here's lookin' at you kid". Hubby has a habit of saying that to me. James Cagney's line was "you dirty rat". Great actors, both of them.

Ann
Yeah, Baby, I knew that!

Dabbler,

Here's lookin at you, kid. Have to have one on my own as Pat hates whiskey, she is a wine buff. Oh, well, I think i will survive. Ann is the Jameson tippler, eh Ann????? Joe

Joe, definitely. Jamie is great especially if one can't sleep. I never met a drink I didn't like, except for Pernod, Bacardi or Vodka. Cheers!!

Ann
And here's me thinkin' you were a Southern Comfort gal.

Too sweet!!

Y' had me fooled!

This story hasn't anything to do with Holiday in France but anyway it just came into my head there talking about alcohol.

We were visitng hubby's brother and wife on the West coast of America - Seattle to be precise. It's kind of a bible belt where they live, so there wasn't much alcohol to be had. Didn't bother me as it was very hot weather although a wee glass of something would have been very acceptable at times. (many a time because of certain tensions between the brother and his American wife). Can't go down that road or I could be sued. If I did tell it would be worth all my real stories put together.

Anyway, they decided to invite all their friends and family for a BBQ one day. Brother-in-law's wife whispered confidentially to me that her son-in-law was coming. She said, "He an alcoholic you know." I commiserated with her in suitably sympathetic terms. Then she continued, "You know, he will bring a six-pack and drink it all himself". I looked at her dumfounded. Now, I don't even drink beer, but I could drink a 6-pack no bother. That's what she based his alcoholism on. He was a real nice fella, more normal than most of the others there.

Another time, before this, we were invited over to neighbours for a BBQ. Neighbours meaning about 5 miles away. Not wanting to go empty handed I suggested that we (hubby and I) bring some wine. We were told very sharply that no-one there drank alcohol. Hubby and I exchanged glances because over here and most other places, BBQs mean alcohol as well as food. Anyway, we attended the said BBQ and it was lovely right enough. Real home cookin'. Big steaks from their own cows, apple and cherry home made pies AND real home made ic ecream, all washed down with, wait for it, I swear, home made lemonade.

One day we were out for a meal and I was fed up with this abstinence. There were about 10 of us and everyone, including hubby, (oul lick) ordered various soft drinks. When it came to my turn I said quietly to the waitress that I would have a gin and tonic. When the tray of drinks came, in a loud American voice, the waitress shouts, as only Americans can, "Who's for the gin and tonic". Everyone looked at me as if I had committed an awful sin. So, just for badness, when the next round came I ordered another gin and tonic.

I still keep hubby going about drinking his diet coke over there. Ah, I could tell some yarns about that holiday.

Ann

Do u remember that film...."Annie get your gun" ......Pat

James Cagney didn't say oh you dirty rat but he got the credit for it. can you please tell me the population of Lisburn. thank,s. Ken.

Ken, roughly speaking the population of Lisburn is 100,00 but I'm sure someone else will know exactly.

Always thought James Cagney said "you dirty rat" - wonder did anybody ever say that.

Katie, wish sweetie a belated Happy Birthday for yesterday. He's a real live Uncle Sam, born on the 4th of July.