Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
I.O.G.T Hall
I have, for some reason unknown to man, suddenly thought of a hall in Lisburn. It was, I am sure, in or around Smithfield. The initials I remember it under are I.O.G.T. I have just Googled these initials and come up with the International Order of Good Templars....
Views: 317   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 26, 2007 12:34pm
by Joe Burns
family history
seking help in finding out my gt grandfather ,family . his name was michael sloan and he came from lisburn district ,his father was bernard sloan ,his mother rose mc coey? michael came to govan glasgow 1870 ,there he married sars dowdall who also came from lisburn...
Views: 152   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 25, 2007 6:36pm
by Ann
Support
Jim I would like you to know how much I have enjoyed the forum over the years. I have had a few traumatic experiences during the past eighteen months, and I thank you, particularly for sending me your phone number when I visited Lisburn. Although, as I anticipated,...
Views: 200   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 24, 2007 1:29pm
by Donald
a
Ann
one day's notice of absence
I know you're all watching the oul football as my family are, except me. Well, you'll all be sorry because I'm off tomorrow. I know what you're saying!! TGFT. My daughter, myself and two grandchildren are booked for Lisburn Omniplex to see Johnny Depp's new Pira...
Views: 163   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 24, 2007 5:10am
by excodowner
a
Ann
Is this Pension Day?
Where is everybody?. It must be pension day and you're all out collecting, except LR who has been in touch. It's like the old rhyme my husband comes out with every Christmas because he says it was very daring in his young day. It goes as follows@ It was Christ...
Views: 144   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 23, 2007 6:25pm
by Ann
a
Ann
NOT HER AGAIN
My excuse for being on so often this morning is that I'm waiting for "men" to come in connection with radiators. It might be women, you never know. I was just thinking, suppose women began calling to do these jobs (and it will happen, why not). I can just imagine...
Views: 187   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 23, 2007 12:54pm
by JoeBurns
a
Ann
recipe for wheaten loaf
Hilary, I don't do soda bread but here's a recipe for wheaten loaf which is gorgeous. I make 3 every week. WHEATEN LOAF 12 oz wheaten meal 4 oz plain flour 2 oz butter 2 level tsps baking powder 2 level tsps baking soda 2 level tsps sugar 2 level tsps go...
Views: 196   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 23, 2007 10:30am
by Ann
What aboout your ma??
Mine never ceases to amaze me. She loves the internet. She spends time in chat rooms, my friends can't believe it. I was discussing the merits of psychometric testing and personality styles and she says "I'd love to do one of them...." So she does. What a...
Views: 144   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 23, 2007 9:47am
by Ann
a
Ann
festival of flowers
I had noticed the posters over the past week, at various locations. A Festival of Flowers running for 3 days in a parish church just about 3 miles out of Lisburn. I knew the church, although it was not mine, and the location is in an idyllic setting, just on the ed...
Views: 205   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 23, 2007 6:09am
by Thelma
Soda & Wheaten Farls
I remember my granny making bread on the griddle. First she got a nice red fire going, put the griddle on a rack over it to warm. This is the way she made the farls, put a couple of handfuls of flour into the baking bowl, into the palm of her hand she put a good pin...
Views: 156   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 23, 2007 6:07am
by Thelma
Kinship
Given the amount of enquiries emanating on this forum, such as " Jimmy, are you.....? I have decided to ask Jim C to consider renaming this part of the site "The Ould Codgers Get Together" or even "The Folk That Time Forgot" Answers on a post card please to:
Views: 158   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 22, 2007 9:47pm
by The Lobby Corres...
I
Like many nonentities who have lived, at best, a misspent youth, I travelled through much of mine on a busload of adventures and ideas presented by writers. In the wonderful, grammatically uninhibited ‘On The Road’, Jack Kerouac took me on a journey acros...
Views: 192   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 22, 2007 4:36pm
by Pat Burns
a
Ann
Lisburn Dialects
Does anyone remember the oul sayings from Lisburn. These are just a very few of some that I remember. "My mouth's as dry as chaff"; "buck eejit", "hallion", "wee skitters" "forenenst", "swanks", "pruck", "Dip 'til your arm's sore","thonder", "wine" for wind, "Polis...
Views: 263   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 22, 2007 6:15am
by Thelma
a
Ann
Come on, the females
Glad to see that there are some females out there. Betty and Thelma and Pat Burns. As far as I can see, the males have previously taken over the forum, so I ask all you girls out there to start coming on line and we can outnumber and out-talk them. COME ON THE GIR...
Views: 204   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 22, 2007 5:41am
by Thelma
More questions.
I have just come back from the local shop, offered words of comfort to a woman in her garden on my way home, ate my lunch, and, having sent my wife to talk to the neighbour, looked in here. Ted, or anyone, did you know a couple of brothers called Watkins? Ronnie, ta...
Views: 204   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 21, 2007 2:24pm
by dabbler
d
Donald
Fathers Day
Today is a public holiday and also Fathers Day here in Germany, later this morning if it doesn't rain guess where to a group of us Vätern are making a bike trip? Right first time Dabbler.
Views: 215   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 20, 2007 11:24am
by dabbler
a
Ann
Thurs night and Fri morning
Last night 3 female friends and myself went to Belfast for a Color me Beautiful evening. This entailed an image consultant telling us our shape (I'm big hourglass) as opposed when younger to small hourglass. Apparently your shape never changes, it's all to do with...
Views: 192   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 19, 2007 5:09pm
by Donald
Leaving
I want to thank all of you who took the trouble to say you enjoyed my little poem. It meant a lot to me, for it has always been my dream to write something even one person would enjoy. Therefore you can imagine how I felt to hear from you. Thank you all again. Pat
Views: 207   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2007 3:58pm
by Pat Burns
d
Donald
Fare thee well Lisburn
Fare thee well Lisburn Fare thee well Lisburn, for I’m laving you, I’m aff in the morn till try pastures new. I’m sorry till lave ye, but then sure I must, for I have been bitten by the wander lust You have seen many of us depart in the pas...
Views: 260   Replies: 19
Last Post: May 19, 2007 2:00pm
by Ann
d
Donald
Blutenburg Wine Festival
In the grounds of Blutenburg Castle not far from where I live vintners from the Pfalz hold a wine festival every year for 4 days. Today is the second day and as yesterday the weather wasn't too good perhaps they didn't have a very good turnover so the wife and I h...
Views: 129   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 18, 2007 9:06pm
by Donald
LISBURN
LEAVING............................... UNTHINKING, I LEFT OBLIVIOUS TO THE FACT THERE COULD BE NO RETURN TIME AND DISTANCE KEPT US APART I CHANGED, YOU REMAINED THE SAME SA...
Views: 213   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 17, 2007 7:46am
by tmccabe@nex.net....
d
Donald
Accoutrements
As a boy when my Grandfather often used the word accoutrements to describe something I assumed he was using a " Norniron " expression. To my astonishment at the weekend in Dresden, upon visiting an exhibition in the new green vault where the exhibits were displaye...
Views: 156   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 17, 2007 5:19am
by Donald
a
Ann
Lisburn - Sunday afternoon
Yesterday was a lovely, sunny day here. I happened to be in Market Square in the afternoon, where there were very few people about, except some skateboarders. Bow Street and all around The Mall was crowded but Market Square, as I say, was quiet. I looked around...
Views: 327   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 17, 2007 5:08am
by Donald
a
Ann
Lisburn Market and further afield
Escaped the house again and took myself up into town. Another lovely, sunny day. Visited the new Lisburn Library, an impressive big building beside the Health Centre, opposite Hill Street. The mayor and other dignitaries were there (I don't think it was in honour...
Views: 275   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 17, 2007 12:16am
by Thelma
Songs Of Innocence
I was standing outside the Wallace Park with wee Charlie. We were teenagers; just about the time the word was invented to describe youngsters. The year? Well, Elvis was singing something about being all shook up that year. Summer, it was. I remember that, as the two...
Views: 142   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2007 11:34am
by dabbler
MAIL
WHAT AM i DOING WRONG.? I CAN ONLY GET 10th MAY MAIL ON THE FORUM PAGE. I SWITCH TO BOARD STYLE SAME THERE. I THEN GO TO WEBSITE, PRESS EXILES FORUM, THERE IT IS ON THREADED STYLE, TODAYS MAIL. DO I HAVE TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME USED TO B UP TO DATE ON THE FORUM...
Views: 257   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2007 4:12pm
by Henpickerento
a
Ann
Dabbler
Dabbler, the silence is deafening. Are you OK?
Views: 216   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2007 1:52pm
by Ann
a
Ann
Hello
I was replying to the Lobby correspondent who says we all need to get out more. I.m asking when and where? And, yes, I'm your man or woman!!
Views: 197   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 14, 2007 10:10am
by Ann
a
Ann
'allo 'allo 'allo
What's all this 'ere mate? I get a feeling I'm being referred to. How have I looked after LR all his life? Don't understand this. And, yes, I DO need looking after but thankfully cannot complain on that score at present.
Views: 168   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 13, 2007 9:43pm
by Low Roader
a
Ann
'allo 'allo 'allo
I get a feeling I'm being referred to here. LR, when did I look after you? Don't understand. Big brother couldn't do a thing about me - everyone has given up!!
Views: 226   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2007 8:39pm
by Ann
Free Forum powered by Bravenet