Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thurs night and Fri morning

Last night 3 female friends and myself went to Belfast for a Color me Beautiful evening. This entailed an image consultant telling us our shape (I'm big hourglass) as opposed when younger to small hourglass. Apparently your shape never changes, it's all to do with your bone structure, doesn't matter how many stones you've put on. Also, advising on make up, colours, types of clothes for the individual, etc. Very civilized. Left my husband looking after the dogs. When I came home at 11 pm, he had helped himself to several tins of Guinness so was in good form, not that he's in bad form without Guinness. (who am I kidding?) Only joking!! Am I? Anyway, we sat up chatting until 1 am, which is, as Low Roader would say, "way, way past my bedtime". That was Thursday night. Today, can't hold back the excitement, I did my grocery shopping. Went to Tescos which is just down the road from our house and spent too much as usual. I could hear my husband muttering, "When I retire, all this spending will have to stop" but, being used to that, I carried on as usual. My goodness, the things they have nowadays in the shops. All sorts of cheeses, (but I'm on a diet since last night), hams, even Italian goods, pizzas, Italian breads. Remember when Dean Martin used to sing "When the moon hits your eye with a big pizza pie" and we all thought it was "a big piece of pie". We were innocent, were'nt we, or maybe just not civilized. I mean, in the old films, telephones in the house, while we had to go up the Low Road to the big red phone box. Now we all have phones too, even computers. Anyway, when we came home, the dogs were waiting for their treats, then I had to arrange the Tesco flowers in vases. (they're great value). Peach roses and a lovely spring bouquet. Luckily enough, before I unpacked the goods, my sister rang from Co Clare, so my husband kindly unpacked the goods for me, muttering things under his breath about phones, etc. To pacify him, because nothing makes his face light up like a "good feed", I said I would put the dinner on early. Have chicken in the oven, spuds on the boil, plus leeks, bacon and garlic in the pan. Sorry, if you've not eaten. Yes, it smells lovely. He is now reading the Irish News for the umpteenth time today. Does anyone else read the paper in the morning, at lunch time, at tea time and then take it to bed to do the crossword? I think he's avoiding me!! Anyway, he and my oldest son are off fishing tomorrow so if Johnny Depp calls, I'm away.

Re: Thurs night and Fri morning

Ann,
I have just instructed my stockbroker to buy me shares in Tesco. Please advise when hubby is going to retire so that I can sell them in good time before they go through the floor as a result of your spending clamp down.
I well remember the telephone box just to the right of your grannies wee hoose.
With regards to your figure information, can you please give me the name of your consultant so that I can get him/her to tell me that I have the same figure now as in my youth.
I do not wish to appear contradictory but a shortish, slim, Low Roader with a very good head of hair is now a shortish, portly, nearly bald Low Roader whose shape is as different as chalk and cheese.

Maybe I am big boned and never recognised it before.

Regarding reading papers, I, being a poor pensioner read all the papers I can on line. Unfortunately the Irish News is one of the few papers which charges for the pleasure of perusing it (the Irish Times is another BTW) so Maybe you could start posting some stories from it in your spare time.

Ann
I remember the telephone box also outside your granny,s wee house.
Donald

Hi Ronnie and Donald

Those were the good old, bad old days. Ronnie, I always visualise you coming out of your mother's house (the first one in Leamington) and crossing the road. I still see you as a nice, fair haired good looking young fella. You'll always be that to me, if I don't meet you in Lisburn Market some day. Donald, I remember you as a tall, dark boy who looked like the Watters's (does that sound corny). You were about my brother Joseph's age.

AHHH! So Low Roader's name is Ronnie!!!!!!! Ann, his name has been a closely guarded secret, like Dabbler's! I just have to puzzle now Ronnie who......, because I have a feeling I have have known him. I love his sense of humour, but don't tell him Ann! I wouldn't like to talk about him behind his back!

Liz

Liz, I'm so sorry that I gave away a secret, completely by mistake.". Try and forget it and concentrate on female contributions. Do we need men? NOOOOOOOOO. Do they need us. Yeeeeeeeeees. Anybody disagree. Come on, let's get a discussion going.

Well, young Ann. You have nearly blown my cover you young whippersnapper.
Definiely reporting this to big brother.
I shall now have to sign myself as Ronnie Low Roader or maybe RLR.

Ann
I was born in 1944, Joe sat beside me for a short while in Hilden school We must have been born the same year
Donald

Donald, why did Joe only sit beside you for a short while? The mind boggles (only joking).

Ann
I don,t really remember why, I think it was when Mr Woodende was preparing us for the 11+.
Donald