Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn - Sunday afternoon

Yesterday was a lovely, sunny day here. I happened to be in Market Square in the afternoon, where there were very few people about, except some skateboarders. Bow Street and all around The Mall was crowded but Market Square, as I say, was quiet. I looked around and saw Maraket Square in a different light, ie. without pedestrians. I counted 5 very pretty trees outside the former Assembly Rooms. Gen. Nicholson is still there waving his sword or scabbard, whatever. We have a nice sunken garden (paradise for skateboarders - for which I have no objection). On the other side of the Assembly Rooms there are more trees growing. On looking right down Bow Street, and which I had never noticed before, there are more trees. Probably doesn't sound anything great but, seeing it yesterday, it was very pretty. Just as a wee aside, I'm listening to Steven Nolan on the radio. A Lisburn resident has been on, regarding the new non-smoking laws here. He said he was smoking on the street yesterday and was approached by a warden. Get this. The warden informed him that he could smoke while on the move but not standing in the one place!!!!!! Anybody have any comments on this? No, I don't want the anti-smoking brigade, live and let live and all that. BUT, does anyone see any sense in this new rule?

Re: Lisburn - Sunday afternoon

Those of us who do not get home very often, and certainly not able to wander through the town when we do, will welcome your word picture of our home.

How about a regular wee dander through other parts of the town, excepting of course the Low Road as I do not want to be depressed.

They say a picture paints a thousand words. Your meanderings certainly gave me a picture I hope to see sometime.

When anyone mentions Hilden I immediately hear a horn blowing and hundreds of feet making their way up and down the front street into and out of the Mill. Who remembers the " wee " horn, the "first " horn and the " big " horn?
Donald

Donald, I remember all those horns. In fact, one of my sons had the job of sounding the horn prior to the mill closing. It's indeed sad that the mill has been silenced and the horn no more. Happy Days.

Ann
I mentioned it before on the forum, our lives were ruled by the mill horn, will never forget my Granny, bustling around , getting the dinner ready for " the workers " coming out for the "Maleour " ( Meal Hour ) as the lunch break was then called. She never called them children or family. We arose , ate ,slept and lived to the command of it. My brother used to curse the person who sounded the " first horn "as he then had to arise.
Donald

Donald, I remember your brother Eamon but never see him now. He used to do DJ in the Woodlands Hotel. He wouldn't know me I'm sure as he's younger.

I suspect our friends from the Co Down may well have cursed the sound of the mill horns on a cold, wet winter morning just as we who lived in close proximity did.

A question for Fraser.
Do you remember Mr Ferguson who lived in Grove St and said many things in a garbled version.
I am trying to think of his first name.

Ann,
my brother Eamon was 60 in March this year, he still does the Discos but not as often
Lowroader ,
when you speak about the County Downers I assume you mean the workers from " Tullnabuck " who lived there ? Hilden View I think. The houses had dry toilets outside which were emptied periodically by horse drawn carts. I think the pump which the residents used to draw water is still there ( unused now of course )
People came then also from as far away as Lurgan, Dromara and Dromore,earlier with public bus services, later with special buses laid on in the late 50,s which collected every evening at 6,00pm the workers in Mill St. It was before my time but some old Hilden residents , Joe Marmion, Pat Tomann, to name some told about spinners walking barefoot from Hilden each evening to the Longstone. In 1959 when I worked there in No.3 Wet spinning room Hilden Mill spinners, doffers and also the oiler Moiley Irvine worked barefoot there.
The employees had just one week annual holidays in the early 50s and on the Friday of that week they had to come to the Dining Room in Mill St. to collect their wages. For the Hilden, Tullynacross and Lowroader residents it wasn,t too far but for the others!
Donald

Donald,
i meant the folk who lived in Canal St, Gregg St and Sloan St. who would probably have heard the horn fairly clearly.
it is a pity that Beano is away as he could probably answer.

Re: Re: Lisburn - Sunday afternoon

My late Step Father (Billy Elder) was for many years the person that blew the horn!

Hallo Alan
Did your stepfather live around Hilden? The name sounds familiar, I'm talking about almost 50 years ago. The horn , if I remember correctly was steam operated and was mounted upon the boiler house roof. Upon being sounded it gave off a cloud of condensation. I heard it in the early nineties, my wife and I being home for holidays walked from Shaw's bridge to the Union bridge and while resting upon a seat around the " male-our " as my Gran used to say, heard it being sounded. Last year in July or August, again being home for two weeks holiday heard it being sounded or blown as us Hildeners used to say for the last time. It brought memories back and tears to my eyes.
Donald