Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Come on, the females

Glad to see that there are some females out there. Betty and Thelma and Pat Burns. As far as I can see, the males have previously taken over the forum, so I ask all you girls out there to start coming on line and we can outnumber and out-talk them. COME ON THE GIRLS.

Re: Come on, the females

Hi Hilary, glad you can join us.

Hey sisters, I thought we were already controlling the world, we just let them think they are????

Re. Their dominance of the forum; well is there a possibility they have more time on their hands than us??? I haven't checked this site for a week. Have literally been working 12 hour days. Of course, we all know that men like to gossip FAR MORE than women, so maybe that's another explanation.

By the way, that infamous telephone box was outside my great granny's house. Some great telephone calls to the boyfriends from there. ALWAYS at least ONE other person in the phone box with you, maybe anor. 3 or 4 outside. The only thing that spoiled it was some "owl doll" coming along and wanting to make a phone call, she'd ***** like mad and throw us out of the phonebox. Did what you were told by your elders then!!!! PLUS they always had the most boring phone calls, whispering away as if they were ring MI5 or something.
Do you remember the dip in the floor of the phonebox? When it had been raining you were standing in a puddle.

You're only a young pup; that's why you've no time on your hands. I'm an oul saddo whose only excitement (apart from Johnny Depp's calendars) (and zooming along at breakneck speed in a plane before take-off) is this Forum. You'll get there and then you'll know your driver (another Lisburn expression). I'm not really a saddo I hope but do enjoy the chit chat. Come on the girls.

Re: Re: Come on, the females

"The Girls???? Is this another Lisburn expresion a new one. In my day we were called "Owl Fogies" Won't tell u what Joe calls me when he sees me on this computer & the telephone. I'm afraid Jim Collins would have a job on his hands programming out his choice descriptions.......Pat

Re: Re: Re: Come on, the females

Yes it's time the girls on and chatted with the guys too. I've been watching the conversations between Donald, Dabbler and Low Roader. Did you guys all go to school together?

Where did you girls go to school Pat, Betty, Hilary and Ann? I went to Forthill(Low Rd) 1965-1969.

Thelma

Thelma,
We did not go to school together. It is possible that Donald was at Hilden school at the same time as me but would have been more than a few years behind.

Did Dabbler go to school?
I deduced from his writings that he spent his younger days between a "pitch and toss" school, the Big Hall billiards, any bookies that were open and the Quay boxing club.
No time left for mudane activities methinks.
I could be wrong of course.

LR, if you're really interested, email!

Liz, I attended the Convent School in Seymour Street. l945-54.

Thelma I'm sorry I referred to you as Liz. Yes, on thinking about it, and noting your age group, I must be an old fogey. Going senile too.

Come on, no agism now, we are the GIRLS and will forever be! Right boys?
I was at Forthill 1958- 60 and the Tech 60- 62.Then I worked in the Tilly Lamp for a year, then as a civil servant in the Customs House.

Liz

Re: Re: Come on, the females

Hi everyone,
You all have wonderful memories and there are no old fogeys on this forum. Reading some of your stories brings back lots of happy times from my own childhood. On my trip to Lisburn last year I was surprised to see the Convent was no longer there. That was such an old building, I would have thought it would have been restored. Also the wee park was no longer there. As a kid, I spent many happy hours on those swings. At least the market is still on Tuesday. My cousin Barbara and her husband had a stall at the market on Tuesdays and they sell baby outfits and fancy clothes for young children. They're no longer doing the Lisburn market.
Thelma