Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Market and further afield

Escaped the house again and took myself up into town. Another lovely, sunny day. Visited the new Lisburn Library, an impressive big building beside the Health Centre, opposite Hill Street. The mayor and other dignitaries were there (I don't think it was in honour of my visit) and there was a delicious smell of coffee and home baked scones. There are computers galore, a coffee shop/sandwich bar, videos, tapes, toilets of course, lots of plush, leather seats where you can find some literary Low Roaders ensconced at a nice window seat reading away, oblivious to everyone. Much much more and, most of all, books. I chose 3 and took the escalator down to the ground floor again. (imagine, escalators in Lisburn Library). Made my way to the Market which was milling with people. Locals, farmers, all sorts of accents. Just walking past you get a wee snatch of a conversation - interesting. If any of you remember Jim Lyness from East Down View, I was speaking to him although I had to introduce myself. You see everyone in Lisburn on Tuesdays. I wondered if Beano was there and looked for someone who looked Canadian but with the good weather, we all have a nice colour. Wonder if he WAS there. There are a great variety of stalls now, a real market. Fish from Ardglass, a vast arrary of garden plants, saplings - it's like going round a Garden Centre. Fruit of course and the usual teaclothes, clothes, etc. A hive of activity. After perusing there for about an hour, being stopped every so often by someone or other, I called into Smyth Patterson's for batteries for the clock. Had a wee tour about ther. Feeling peckish by this time I decided to call into Daltons Sandwich Bar, got myself a chunky sandwich and tea. After that went on down Bow Street to Boots, the chemist. Don't know if any of you know, (I know the male readers won't) but there's a face lotion (Boots No 7) which has been proclaimed, after various tests, as the best for wrinkles, or to keep them at bay if you're lucky enough not to have them. I optimistically enquired if they had any, and was told it was sold out and that there was a 3 month waitiing list. DARN!! Proceeded on down Bow Street, past Woolworths, to Midas the jeweller where I purchased a new battery for my husband's watch. Then, headed for the Mall which is always crowded too. Exercised self-restraint and bought nothing (only because I saw nothing I liked). By this time I thought it was time to get home to my two wee dogs so I caught the Busy Bus and here I am. If you would like another update, let me know or, if you're bored with this, again, let me know.

Re: Lisburn Market and further afield

Who remembers the Scot Hector shouting his wares from the back of his lorry?. The clothes booths in the long hall next to the religious and household stalls and Chape Alec selling his cracked delph. My first recollections of the market were being pushed around it by my mother ( who died 1948 ) sitting on top of the pram containing my baby brother and a pig escaping from a pen and it being chased by lots of men with caps. Then buying chickens to rear in our garden at Lisnatrunk. Almost 60 years ago.
Donald

Thank you once again Ann.
I must confess to having little or no recollection of the market as Donald describes as I never frequented it. Donald's description matches the scenes at markets I have been to in the past few years apart from the live animal stalls.

Your description of what appears to be the official opening of the library once again paints a picture I would love to see but just keep on "painting" and maybe, just maybe, I will be lucky enough to experience the scene at first hand.
( Apart that is of a Low Roader reading. )

Re: Re: Lisburn Market and further afield

Hi Ann,
I really enjoyed reading about your trip to town. It was almost like being there with you, so keep on writing and I'll tune in for more.

Thelma

Thank you, Thelma. Will try my best to keep you up to date on the comings and goings. By the way, I notice you're an early riser.

I remember Hector even though I was only about 5 when my grandfather used to take me there who remembers the plastic pipes with the chicks head that popped up when you blew in it and the man preaching fire and brimstone.
Gordon

Early to bed , Bla Bla Bla
Donald

Donald, You are a man of regular habits. Posted 2.15 yesterday, 2.18 today. Same tomorrow?
By the way, Ann, that IS a nice description of your day.

Dabbler
some people have a nap after lunch, some a run and some have Cybersex.
Donald

Donald, yes please, but she might catch me!

Hi Dabbler, thank you. Can you be serious?

Hi Ann,
I'm in Canada and we're 7 hours behind N.I. It was after 11pm when I was writing but it shows your time when it's posted to the website. I always go on and have a read before I go to bed.

Thelma