Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I.O.G.T Hall

I have, for some reason unknown to man, suddenly thought of a hall in Lisburn.
It was, I am sure, in or around Smithfield.
The initials I remember it under are I.O.G.T.
I have just Googled these initials and come up with the International Order of Good Templars.
Can someone confirm whether or not my sanity has gone completely, or did this hall, in fact, exist.
Your contributions are awaited with a sense of impending doom.

Re: I.O.G.T Hall

Low Roader,

“Independent Order of Good Templars” the hall did exist and was used for social activities. There was some chat about it last summer on this site.

Terry

Thank you Terry, I can now rest easily that old age has not been playing tricks and the brain has not gone into under drive.
LR

The hall was known as I owe Granny Tuppence
Donald

Re: Re: I.O.G.T Hall

Sammy Mc Shane used to tell us when they were young the youngsters all went to the I.O.G.T. Hall for buns & lemonade & sang a song about "On the Royal Telephone to Jesus". It was a party piece of his, he was a comedian, my brother-in-law, used to have us falling off our chairs at family gatherings with tales of his youthful exploits in Lisburn. Sadly, Dabbler this is another old character dead now about a year ago. Joe

Is Sammy McShane the one who acted as MC in Dan Mooney,s sing along at the weekends in the 60,s? His party piece was " Hallo Joe, I gotta go. Mio Myo. Goin to have some fun on the Bio " If so his photo can be seen on the sites old photographs
Donald

Joe
Just read this about Sammy. I am truly sorry to hear that. I shook hands, and had a brief chat with him in the cemetry last year, as I visited a family grave.
Joe

Re: Re: I.O.G.T Hall

Dabbler & Donald, Yes. That was Sammy. R.I.P

He was a laugh & good sport in any gathering. My sister predeceased him, some of his family r still in Lisburn. One day he was going down Piper's Hill with 3 of his girls & a neighbour said " My God, Sammy, those children r the image of u" Quick as a flash he replied "I would'nt like to think they were like anyone else" He & his wife r both buried in Trinity Terrace. They r survived by 6 girls & 2 boys . Joe

Joe
It does not diminish the loss, but am I getting Sammy and Frankie Mc Shane confused in my wee oul head? I think the man I re-met after forty seven years was married to Sally.

:I.O.G.T Hall

Just saw ur question Dabbler, I am not a regular reader ( too busy) Hint! Hint! To a nameless one. Sally was married to Sammy's brother, Frankie. Sorry for the delay. Please come back . Joe