Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NOT HER AGAIN

My excuse for being on so often this morning is that I'm waiting for "men" to come in connection with radiators. It might be women, you never know. I was just thinking, suppose women began calling to do these jobs (and it will happen, why not). I can just imagine upon opening the door and inviting them in. If their hair was nice, I'd be wondering where they'd got it styled and feel obliged to ask . Mine always being beautiful, possibly they'd ask me the same question, before going on to admire my cooker, (or secretly criticize it), microwave, hob or worktops and we'd get into a discussion about kitchens, hairstylists and make-up before they commenced work. That would be before I'd offer them tea'coffee and then we'd have to have another chat about TV, the soaps, etc. The man's at the door as we speak. Yes, it was a man, he's been and gone. Very efficient, about 30ish, not my type, had to lock my two wee dogs in the back bedroom because they kick up such a din when strangers appear. Now, what I really came on to tell you all was that last Sunday my 18 year old grandson came round. He's in the middle of A levels. He said he had a question regarding English for me, and asked me to explain the term 'iambic pentametre'. Being a big deaf, I thought I'd misheard him, so I asked him to repeat it. It sounded the same but, just in case, I asked him to repeat it again. I looked blankly at him and asked him to spell it for me. I must add that the reason he came to his granny is because some years ago I did an A level in Eng Lit as a mature student IN ONE YEAR. Got a B. I was also working full time and had 4 children in tow SO Mark thinks I know more than I really do. In fact, as I admitted, "I've never even heard of an iambic pentametre never mind explain it. I rang big brother, he who really is a whizz at English and every else. Yes, RLW, you know the one I mean. Plus he's humble with it. Without hesitation, he went on to spell, explain and give examples of iambic pentametres. It's something to do with the beat in poetry. That's as close as I got to the meaning of it. Hope you found that entertaining and informative. Now that the man's gone, I'll have to carry on with the housework.

Re: NOT HER AGAIN

Once again an illustration of why a women's place is in the kitchen.
Leave the really important stuff to us men.
He always was cleverer than most.

Re: Re: NOT HER AGAIN

Low Roader,
I love it when you get all manly like that, but dream on!!

Yes, I agree about big brother. Why did I get beauty and not brains?

Re: Re: Re: NOT HER AGAIN

Ann, How is it that your sister got both?? JOE

Joe, didn't like to mention it before but guess what you and Pat's nicknames were? BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

Replying to Low Roader and women's place being in the kitchen.
this is where the written word fails us, we are at the loss of the body language, the tone of voice and the humour or absence of it, in these comments.

Gotta say Low Roader it hits a nerve.

TLC,
Note the initials.

I feel that I have just been savaged by a flock of dead sheep.
I married the original woman's libber and forums like this allow me to say things without "her who wears the troosers" knowing.
There is nothing like a good cyber fight.

LR, I can insult them because I know HE WAS good looking (like a young Hendry Fonda) and (sob sob) she did have brains and beauty.

Anyway, I had lovely auburn hair.

I have just come to the end of a very long working day, 9.40pm Irish Time and maybe the women who stayed in the kitchen and let me men go out to work were a lot smarter than us career types!!!!

I have about anor. 2 hours work reading and replying to emails that I did not get to today!!!

Ann: remember those men only got the chance to work in your kitchen because you decided you wanted the work done!! The decision maker calls the tune sister!!!

Re: Re: Re: NOT HER AGAIN

Like the bulldog advert says. "Aww, yes."

Ann, Remember the fairy-tale endings to "Beauty & the Beast" He always turneed into a handsome prince. Boom Boom.

Yes, but yours ain't no fairytale. BOOM and BOOM again!!

Ann This is my last word on the subject of Beauty & the Beast...With U as a sister-in-law, u r right (as usual) it sure "ain't no fairy tale. "
Boom bitty boom boom . Joe.

Calm down all the rest, just a bit of Norn Irish "slagging" We do it all the time. Joe