Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soda & Wheaten Farls

I remember my granny making bread on the griddle. First she got a nice red fire going, put the griddle on a rack over it to warm. This is the way she made the farls, put a couple of handfuls of flour into the baking bowl, into the palm of her hand she put a good pinch of salt & baking soda, which she added to the flour. Buttermilk next to make a soft dough which was turned out onto a floured board. This was the important part - kneading back & forth, turning over & kneading again, turning the dough round & kneading again. She then made it into a round cake about 1 inch thick, cut this into 4 farls & put them on the hot griddle. When one side was brown she turned them over. Then when they were ready on both sides she stacked them up like a tent to brown lightly on each side. Lovely just coming off the griddle smothered with country butter or jam & a cup of strong tea. Nectar for the gods. Pat

Re: Soda & Wheaten Farls

Pat,
Thank you for the recipe. This one sounds like the way my granny would have cooked with a handful of this and that. That's the way they did it back then and it always turned out great.

Thelma