Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Dialects

Does anyone remember the oul sayings from Lisburn. These are just a very few of some that I remember. "My mouth's as dry as chaff"; "buck eejit", "hallion", "wee skitters" "forenenst", "swanks", "pruck", "Dip 'til your arm's sore","thonder", "wine" for wind, "Polis" for police. "stoor and dirt", "dirty clart or clinkers", "skinny m' links", "all cut", "slabber chops", "sleekit", "that tea's like scarred water" "fly dog", "clodhoppers", "arse 'n parsley", "cute lugs", "spekky 4 eyes", "she's an oul poison", "hungry hole", "droopy drawers", "arse 'n pockets", "titty fa-la", "slippy tit", "oul tinker", "coul" for cold, "swelter ya", "feg for fag, "founder ye", "druth", "skuds, "deaf lugs" Right, any more?

Re: Lisburn Dialects

Where in the name of all that is good do you get your energy from.
What ever you are taking - can I have some please - quickly?

RLR

Yes, Low Roader, I'll be having a breakdown from nervous exhaustion. Blame this Lisburn Exiles site. I can't get away from it. Here's a few more Lisburn expressions which I remembered this morning. 'A howl ye' 'quare coolin' 'chivvyin' 'A 'clare to my soul' but pronounced sowel. Bye

When my granny was hoovering she used to always say
"hip out of my road" : translation: get out of my way.

Hoovers were monstrous contraptions then. All red and noisy, dragged around behind you, puffing dust as they passed.

Ann were you ever 'scundered' and did you ever look at somebody and thought they looked 'though-other?'(A bit unkempt). Then if somebody has lost weight they have 'quairly failed'. Or, if they have put on the weight again after being ill they have 'fair mended'.
You just can't properly translate these sayings - my husband looks at me when I come out with these sayings and makes a quick decision - "Will I ask what she's talking about or will I just leave it?" I can tell by the look in his eye.
How can you explain properly how you felt when you were left standing there your two arms the one length?

How about this one , spoken about unloved neighbours
" If she was as wake as the tea she makes they would be sittin up wi her! "
Donald

Yes, and what about when viewing a corpse the usual remark was "He's very like himself". Never understood that one. I mean, was he going to look like the next door neighbour?

Also, "away w' ye"

"he's an oul cawd"

Re: Re: Lisburn Dialects

We used to go for a "poke" at Montgomery's ice cream parlour on Castle Street. They also had the best raspberry sundaes.

Thelma