Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I

Like many nonentities who have lived, at best, a misspent youth, I travelled through much of mine on a busload of adventures and ideas presented by writers. In the wonderful, grammatically uninhibited ‘On The Road’, Jack Kerouac took me on a journey across the wide expanse of the USA. During my trip, no pun intended, I made friends with, and listened spellbound to, unforgettable characters such as Dean Moriarty. Dabbling in such daring literature led me to reading even more ‘outrageous’ authors, at a time when they were fashionable only among the ‘cognoscenti’, and a few nutters like myself. Timothy Leary caught my eye, and, on a completely different train, Norman Mailer. I was also lucky enough to take an interest in what would probably have been compulsory A Level reading for better-educated kids. Animal Farm, and 1984, of course, as well as Lord of the Flies; (those blasted flies get everywhere).
In real life at that time I was swigging pints, and swapping tales of, in my case, ninety-nine percent imaginary, exploits of a dubious nature, with guys who would not have been aware of the existence of the libraries that I sometimes frequented.

Re: I

Coincidentally, Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' is one of the books I borrowed from the library this week. I cannot get into it at all, but on your recommendation will have another go. Am at present reading the love affair between WB Yeats and Maud Gonne and enjoying it very much. Some beautiful poetry there, seems so simple. Just finished Inside the Royal Household which fascinated me. Do you know that the Royals don't like square ice cubes in their drinks because they're too noisy. They have a machine in BP to make circular ones which are quieter. Another fact, if you're every speaking to Her Majesty and she says, "How fascinating", it means she's actually bored with you. Be warned.

Even worse I have heard (with no personal experience you understand)if HM says 'How amusing for you' she is definately not amused.

Recipe for soda bread

Hi,
Does anyone have a good recipe for soda bread? Do you make it like a round loaf and cut it into pieces for frying? My mother used to buy it from Mr. Hawthorne who delivered bread out of his delivery van.

Thelma

Re: Recipe for soda bread

As you can see I do not know how to start a new discussion. Can someone tell me how to do this.
thanks, Thelma

Ann
Jack Kerouac, for a teenager searching for an identity, was wonderful. Today, wide yawn.
WB Yeats is much more appropriate for a romantic lady like yourself. I shall arise and go now...

Re: Re: I

Dabbler, U do make me smile. I have that poem on the wall in my hall. My brother-in-law always says that when he has a few pints & is leaving.... Pat