Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Evacuation of Dunkirk 3rd June 1940

now and again I read over the content of the 42 site and this morning I learned that when the Regiment was known as 16th Regt, it was evacuated on the 3rd June, just one day before the actual completion of this epic event.

it just shows you what you can miss when not reading things through but just adding it to the site. The article actually appeared in the Gunner Magazine written by Major Broomfield when he was actually a WO2.
He talks about spiking the Guns before boarding a Destroyer to get home, he also mentions as he was doing this brand new equipment was being off loaded the ships. This was obviously to make room for those waiting in line to get home.

My hat off, to all those brave Men & Woman.

I have yet to watch the new Dunkirk Movie, has anybody seen it and if so was it worth watching. ?

Re: Evacuation of Dunkirk 3rd June 1940

"Originally Posted by Chris: He talks about spiking the Guns before boarding a Destroyer to get home, he also mentions as he was doing this brand new equipment was being off loaded the ships. This was obviously to make room for those waiting in line to get home."

I find this quote a little confusing. Surely the ships that went to Dunkirk did so knowing it was an evacuation so why did they take brand new equipment? Unless, they were cannibalising their own ships equipment?

Re: Evacuation of Dunkirk 3rd June 1940

I have to asume that the ships were already docked and were waiting on being offloaded when it was decided to get out of there asap. I imagine it was getting too hot to stick around.