Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Notice of my father, Ernie Dixon's, Passing

Hi there good people of the 42 Regiment

It is with great sadness that I inform you all of my father, Ernie Dixon's, passing on 22 November, 2019.

As a lot of you will be aware, Dad suffered from Motor Neurone disease, diagnosed in January. What you may not have known is that Dad also had a hereditary heart disease from birth. That heart disease tried with all its might to take him down, with no luck. After a number of heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and a valve replacement, his heart kept on beating until the last minute, his cause of death being the MND. Even the MND had a battle though, as my Dad was one tough *******. In January they gave him 3 months to live, but he managed to hang in there, albeit by a thread at times, for an extra 8 months. He really was a true soldier.

Dad talked about his army days until the day he died. He was such an important and special part of his life, and his amazing stories will live on through his children and grandchildren. I would like to make special mention to Brian Cloughley, who I feel like I know myself, as he was so often brought up in Dad’s tales. Brian, thank you for being Dad’s friend until the very end.

His last words were actually songs he was singing to his partner in life for 57 years, his lovely wife, my Mother Phyllis. Dad's last wish was granted, in that he got to take his final breath, lying in bed holding onto his loving wife. She nursed him, and prolonged his life as long as she could, to keep him at home as he had wanted.

Thanks to you all for being a big part of his life too and I hope you all have fond memories of him.

I have some great photos and stories, including a biography he wrote up recently.

Feel free to email me directly if any of you would like copies.

Re: Notice of my father, Ernie Dixon's, Passing

That is so sad but at last he is at peace a place where he wants you all to be, happy and getting on with your lives.
Condolences to all the family. We knew each other as soldiers and I have fond memories of his work
God bless you all

So sad to hear that Ernie has passed away but glad that I got to meet him again when in OZ in 2004.
we had a few laughs and I always said I would visit again, sadly I didnt and I was going to phone but didnt. How I feel now is gutted that I didnt accomplish either of those things.
Ernie Rest in Peace mate.

Sad news, always planned to catch up in Perth or Queensland. but sadly never did, RIP old mate.