Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quebec Road, Inkerman Drive, New Zealand Avenue. (Road signs)

I joined 42 in 1973, Fallingbostel, while the regt was training for the upcoming belfast tour. One of the first things I noticed on arrival was that on each road was a roughly painted roadsign with a belfast street name. I guess the idea was that it would help the guys remember the street names where they'd soon be patrolling.

Anyway. Once training was complete those belfast names were taken down to reveal the original road names. Very good quality metal signs. Quebec Road, Inkerman Drive and New Zealand Avenue.

Anyway. To cut a long story short, long after disbandment, I often had cause to visit St. barbara's barracks even as late as the early 1990's. Those 42 Regt street signs were still there!

After the early 90's i never went there in person. But many years later google maps gave me the opportunity to go on a 'virtual' nostalgia trip and.. Lo and behold, google showed the old 42 road names. Excellent! In fact. Continued to show them as late as 2018 or 19.

After 42 left there must have been a dozen or more different units in that barracks and I often wondered what those people thought about those street names. They obviously had no idea what connection quebec, inkerman and new zealand had with their barracks.

Anyway. Long story short etc. I just googled again and (May 2021), in google maps, all the street names are blank. So finally, after 40 years, the 42 regt street names have gone. :(

But. I wonder. Even though google maps doesn't show the names. I wonder if those signs are physically still there.

Re: Quebec Road, Inkerman Drive, New Zealand Avenue. (Road signs)

I never served in Fallingbostle but many who watch this site did. By the way are a member of the 42 regt face book site ?

Re: Quebec Road, Inkerman Drive, New Zealand Avenue. (Road signs)

Checkout the Fallingbostel thread on this website, I am sure someone with be able to point you in the right direction.

https://baor-locations.org/Home.aspx.html