Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revisit Korea Programme

The South Korean Government operates this programme as a thank-you to those foreign Armed Forces who helped to defend their country during the war against North Korea and China.

Those who qualify can apply to go back to South Korea for a week's tour, mainly funded by the South Korean Government. Veterans are only required to pay for 50% of the air fare; they may also be accompanied by a carer, friend or relative who will be required to pay 70% of the air fare. All other expenses are met by the hosts.

I'm very pleased to say that I qualify for the programme and will be submitting an application shortly, for myself and one of my two wee sisters. The next visit is scheduled for 26th of May until the 1st of June this year. I am very hopeful of being accepted.

Watch This Space!

Re: Revisit Korea Programme

Good luck Jim.

Good luck from me as well Jim, hope you and your sister enjoy yourselves. :wink:

Big Jim

The South Korean Government operates this programme as a thank-you to those foreign Armed Forces who helped to defend their country during the war against North Korea and China.

Those who qualify can apply to go back to South Korea for a week\'s tour, mainly funded by the South Korean Government. Veterans are only required to pay for 50% of the air fare; they may also be accompanied by a carer, friend or relative who will be required to pay 70% of the air fare. All other expenses are met by the hosts.

I\'m very pleased to say that I qualify for the programme and will be submitting an application shortly, for myself and one of my two wee sisters. The next visit is scheduled for 26th of May until the 1st of June this year. I am very hopeful of being accepted.

Watch This Space!

Kin ah' come?

:u6709: :u7121: :u5408:

NAW!

Revisit Korea Programme

Delighted to report that my application has been accepted and I'm looking forward to flying out on the 26th of May. The cost to myself is £384, i.e. 50% of the air fare, plus 50% of the return airfare between Glasgow and Heathrow, still to be organised. Everything else like accommodation, food and excursions is free.

An' NAW, Wullie, ye cannae come!

Big Jim

Delighted to report that my application has been accepted and I'm looking forward to flying out on the 26th of May. The cost to myself is £384, i.e. 50% of the air fare, plus 50% of the return airfare between Glasgow and Heathrow, still to be organised. Everything else like accommodation, food and excursions is free.

An' NAW, Wullie, ye cannae come!
Didnae wan't tae onywey, ah'll be lyin' blootert oan ra beach in Cyprus!:sunny: :eye:

Revisit Korea Programme

Not long to go now 'til I'll be off on 26th of this month (arrive back from a Greek Islands cruise the day before!). How much do you reckon this is worth in real money? Have a guess and then scroll down to see the answer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

£6.80

you will need a trunk full to last the week then

Bit like the Turkish Lira. Good job you still have some BAFVs.

Revisit Korea Programme

What a program, what a place, what an amazing people. What an amazing country, now the world's 10th richest nation, achieved in just 50 years instead of the projected 100 years.

Just back last night, spent 4 days at different cemeteries and monuments, wreath laying ceremonies, the full works. Sounds a bit of a bind but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Plenty of bands, flag bearers, honour parties from UK, Canada, Australia, South Korean forces as well; foreign Ambassadors and various dignitaries, Press and cameramen everywhere. Supper at the British Ambassador's Residence. I was asked to read the lesson at the first do at the Commonwealth Cemetery in Seoul. Particularly enjoyable were local schoolchildren who attended some of the ceremonies. We picked up freebie presents everywhere, classy stuff; not your common tat.

Everywhere we went were signs such as "Welcome Korean War Veterans, You will always be our Heroes". Hosts everywhere, be they at the hotel or wherever, formed two welcoming lines and applauded us as we arrived or departed. Our allotted coach had similar slogans on the side and we had the full-time services of six Korean students who fussed over us all the time, ensuring that we moved around safely wherever we went. We also had a tour guide and a nurse in attendance.

I was trying to buy something for which the guy wanted 180,000 Won. After a bit of haggling he pointed to the badge we were expected to wear round our neck, clearly wondering who I was. After reading the Korean language version on the reverse he bowed low to his waist, shook my hand and gave me the item for 60,000 Won.

I spent the last day travelling to the DMZ (Demilitarised Zone) and visited an OP looking out into North Korea. Very hot weather and I wore full highland dress every day - it went down a treat with the locals and others and was well worth putting up with. It was heavy enough on its own without the perspiration; going for dry cleaning today.

Oh, and I was awarded a gong - the UN Peace Medal.

well done Jim, well deserved.
The first gong you have, surely you did not get one for good behavior LSGC
welcome home you have been missed-

Really pleased you had a good time Jim and nice to hear we (vets) are respected somewhere. Can you imagine NI welcoming us like that? Congratulations on the gong too. Anyway, as Jimmy said, welcome home

Jimmy glad you had a great time, no doubt photos videos will follow.Oh and Welcome home mate.

what was this all about Jim
Jims_journey

Revisit Korea Programme

It was one of the features in the National Folk Museum of Korea. Reminds me of the High Cockalorum game where one team adopts the above posture and the other team attempts to collapse them with running jumps.

Korea visit video can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/jb2Jm4Otwr8

"Break a leg"?

Big Jim
It was one of the features in the National Folk Museum of Korea. Reminds me of the High Cockalorum game where one team adopts the above posture and the other team attempts to collapse them with running jumps.

Korea visit video can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/jb2Jm4Otwr8

Isn't that British Bulldog?

Revisit Korea Programme

Made the local news, fame at last!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nice one Jim, fame at last and well deserved

Well done Jim, there's a tin of Brasso on its way. I like the article at the bottom of the page.