Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
p
Pat
Spammed again
After losing a piece of Post, so take it as a sign it was piffle, sometimes Spam acts like a teacher correcting writing. Weather here is wintery, hailstones & cold, so wherever you are we are all in Winter still. (Except maybe Spain or some others) Howe...
Views: 131   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 23, 2015 11:25am
by donald
Photos of Lisburn
I am a local photographer and thought some of you may like to see my Lisburn gallery at http://www.hibernialandscapes.com/lisburn/ Hope you enjoy. In my blog section I also did a piece on the 'Old Pubs of Lisburn' focusing mainly on the pubs still in existence....
Views: 355   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 20, 2015 9:16pm
by Stephen Wallace
THE FAIRY THORN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31459851 PROBABLY A LOAD OF COBBLERS BUT MANY COUNTRY FOLK BELIEVED IN IT
Views: 193   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 19, 2015 3:29pm
by Pat
t
Terry
Margaret Black off Low Road
Just in case anyone knows my Aunt Margaret Black passed away last week
Views: 228   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 19, 2015 3:20pm
by Pat
b
Beano
Hello again
Hi All, Just want to thank you all on behalf of Doreen and myself for your support during what has been the saddest time of our lives...losing Stephen. I had written a long post in the "County Down" posting and was spammed... I hope this goes through. Billy (Be...
Views: 259   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 19, 2015 2:54pm
by Pat
About me
hi to anyone who remembers me.I was born at 11 hill street 1937 and left for England 1959.I've lived in Whitby in north Yorkshire for 51 years.Iknow several names and some photographs. I went to Lisburn boys and Hilden schools and walked from hill street down the...
Views: 489   Replies: 17
Last Post: Feb 18, 2015 4:21pm
by leo morgan
county down
county down outside of hilden and the low road there is not many contributers to the foum except beano and an odd one from me from the county down. there was names I remembered from the county down most of which were pidgeon fanciers,sam potts herbie Phillips jim ne...
Views: 323   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 17, 2015 3:46pm
by Dabbler
m
Mauri
Gold Story
When I read about the price of Gold it takes me back to something that happened on my first ship HMS Nigeria. I had joined her in March 1947 in Simonstown South Africa and in June 1948 she had been away two and one half years spent steaming up and down the East and W...
Views: 281   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 17, 2015 10:15am
by Pat
declan galbraith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P20QjugM_08#t=56
Views: 196   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 15, 2015 5:06pm
by barneykx
a
Ann
February brings the Rain
The rain started last night. I noticed it on my way for a wee wee about 1 am. (signal for Daphne's entrance). When I arose this morning it was still teeming down. Tess has to be walked whatever the weather. Dominic is painting in the kitchen so it fell...
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2015 12:40pm
by Ann
50 shades of grey
50 Shades of Grey by Pam Ayres. The missus bought a Paperback, down Shepton Mallet way, I had a look inside her bag;... T'was "Fifty Shades of Grey". Well I just left her to it, And at ten I went to bed. An hour later she appeared; The sight filled me with dr...
Views: 191   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 13, 2015 12:29pm
by Ann
Lovers Lane
For me, a pleasant harmless memory. If the woman is alive and remembers my clumsy fumbling with her brooch, I hope she remembers fondly, and knows that, at eighteen, I was as innocent and as excited as a twelve year old today. AND I loved her.
Views: 419   Replies: 19
Last Post: Feb 13, 2015 12:27pm
by Ann
a
Ann
The sniffles
For the past couple of days I have had a raw throat and a dry cough. Just annoying, that's all. Apart from attending the dental hygienist this morning, I've stayed in all day, hoping to nip this in the bud before it takes hold. However, I've begun to snee...
Views: 219   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 2:51pm
by Pat
a
Ann
A Day Out
Yesterday a friend and I went to Newry for the afternoon. She was treating me to a late Christmas lunch. It was a lovely, sunny day, which was great, as we had cancelled our outing the previous week due to the snow and ice. We didn't do anything very exciti...
Views: 232   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 9, 2015 2:56pm
by Ann
a
Ann
February brings the rain
Well, February is supposed to bring the rain, to "thaw the frozen lakes again". We were taught this rhyme at primary school. However, this February so far we've had snow, hailstones and frost but no rain so far. Not complaining, mind you, as it will come shor...
Views: 453   Replies: 24
Last Post: Feb 9, 2015 1:57pm
by Eamon lowercase
McCoy to retire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/31214674 probably the greatest National Hunt jockey of all time
Views: 135   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 8, 2015 11:02pm
by Dabbler
Old Films
I must have always been a naughty wee divil because Gilda sticks in my mind. Even more daring was The Outlaw. The first film I remember is The Mummy's Hand. I saw them all at The Picture House.
Views: 934   Replies: 41
Last Post: Feb 8, 2015 6:22pm
by Ann
WILDE LOVE
"Wilde Love" All men kill the thing they love By all let this, by all let this be heard [x2] I never saw a man who looked with such a wistful eye Upon that little tent of blue which prisoners call the sky And at every drifting cloud that went with sail...
Views: 297   Replies: 10
Last Post: Feb 7, 2015 11:10am
by Ann
p
Pat
The Flu' Injection
Hi all, I have the Flu, after flu free years while taking the yearly injection, this time the virus mutated & laid me low, along with all the other unfortunates. I have been feeling wretched this last week, full of antibiotics & Paracetamols, if I see oth...
Views: 289   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 6, 2015 7:01pm
by Mauri
irish dancing meet NC clog dancers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IULZ-PRBSV4
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 8:15pm
by barneykx
p
Pat
We have snow
Snow fell early this morning here after a lapse of 10 years. It was a beautiful scene with everything covered in white, the trees were etched against a grey sky. Lovely while it lasted but the sun appeared after 10.00a.m. & by lunch time all had gone again...
Views: 322   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 4:30pm
by Dabbler
a
Ann
The frozen Lake at Hillsborough
Himself and I, with our dog Tess, took a run out to Hillsborough Forest this morning. It was a beautiful, sunny, albeit cold day so we wrapped up well. When we came down to the lake, I was surprised and delighted to see that it was frozen over. I don't...
Views: 179   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 11:09am
by Ann
frisco kate
The Ballad of Frisco Kate's The ghosts are dancing at Frisco Kate's To the wail of the violin; They are pounding the floor wth their bony feet In the ancient haunt of sin. They are shouting for drinks, for whisky straight, Bellied up toe the broken bar - And...
Views: 181   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 2, 2015 7:29pm
by barneykx
the man from ironbark
It was the man from Ironbark who struck the Sydney town, He wandered over street and park, he wandered up and down. He loitered here he loitered there, till he was like to drop, Until at last in sheer despair he sought a barber's shop. 'Ere! shave my beard an...
Views: 169   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 2, 2015 1:05pm
by Dabbler
strumpet city
https://www.youtube.com/watch… strumpet city full movie in parts
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 7:54pm
by barneykx
the village pump
The moon shone on the village pump, Which stood soundly on the green, This ancient form of watering hole, Is something rarely seen. Village life has changed so much, But this pump has stayed around. A symbol of the days gone by, Keeps each village sound. Wa...
Views: 419   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 6:47am
by tom mccabe
The Ballad of the Harp Weaver
The Ballad of the Harp-Weaver by Edna St. Vincent Millay “Son,” said my mother, When I was knee-high, “You’ve need of clothes to cover you, And not a rag have I. “There’s nothing in the house To make a boy breeches, N...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 31, 2015 8:35pm
by barneykx
dogs will
A Dog's Last Will and Testament (Author unknown) Before humans die, they write their last Will & Testament, and give their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I'd ask.... To a poor and lonely s...
Views: 148   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 30, 2015 8:25pm
by barneykx
Thank you Pamela
Hi Lowroader,Yes I lived on up the street from the Conners. My Aunt Mary lived two doors from them. Long time ago. Dennis married a girl from Cork her name was Noreen. After living on the Belsize Rd. for years they moved to Cork. I think they took Davey with them as...
Views: 182   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2015 11:55am
by Pat
t
Tommy
Very Sad News !
Hi All It is with a heavy heart ,I have to tell you all ,that Bill& Doreen's son Stephen passed away on 6th January 2015. As you all know he had been very ill ,and as Billy has told me that he had fought a hard fight ,and sometimes he would have been feeling a bi...
Views: 325   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 30, 2015 11:48am
by Pat
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Free Forum powered by Bravenet