Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Old Films

I must have always been a naughty wee divil because Gilda sticks in my mind. Even more daring was The Outlaw.
The first film I remember is The Mummy's Hand. I saw them all at The Picture House.

Re: Old Films

Dabbler
I must have always been a naughty wee divil because Gilda sticks in my mind. Even more daring was The Outlaw.

The first film I remember is The Mummy's Hand. I saw them all at The Picture Ho.

here is strumpet city set in dublin during our times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsY6piFDPHQ&list=PLUbD_gb6eGbMeQMoKmmKsPJyzPuvf9WBh

barneykx
Dabbler

The first film I remember is The Mummy's Hand. I saw them all at The Picture Ho.

here is strumpet city set in dublin during our times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsY6piFDPHQ&list=PLUbD_gb6eGbMeQMoKmmKsPJyzPuvf9WBh

forgot i had already posted it lol

Barney, the forgetting bit makes me smile. That's me these days. My next door son believes his parents should be giving each other their medication. How would I remember?

Dabbler, the old Lisburn Picture House was great. I suppose it was all we had in the way of entertainment when I was very young. I loved going to the matinee and seeing the musicals. I hated when a Western was on but went anyway. It was noisy and this only added to the excitement. Some of the boys were very loud and carried on a lot of shouting, especially if Barbara Stanwyck was starring. I won't repeat what was shouted out but I can still remember. Great days and innocent fun.

Ann
Victor Dornan didn't like boys and girls sharing a seat. Once, the audience shouted at him to leave the children alone. I won't repeat his vulgar reply. I feel my face redden as I recall your cousin rise to stand against the Pit wall.

Dabbler
that was very sinful, quite different in Lurgan when I was courting herself. There were double seats in the back row of the picture house there. We always went early to secure one.
donald

Ann
At least the Lisburn Tech Catholic religous classes were, thank goodness more strict. It was strictly divided ( Room 36 ?) Boys sat at one side , girls at the other. Just imagine what would have happened if we were allowed to mix?
donald

donald
Dabbler

that was very sinful, quite different in Lurgan when I was courting herself. There were double seats in the back row of the picture house there. We always went early to secure one.

donald

THEY CALLED HIM STICKY

BILLY SMITH WENT UNDER PRO

STICKY Sloan - dunno if he was before or after Victor Dornan.

Dabbler
that was after, Sticky Sloan was a uniformed attendant, then when Vicky Dornan died he became manager. I remember Sticky, before the show started walking down the middle aisle,reading the riot act and then scratching his head as a signal for the projectionist to start the show. Those were the days my friend.
donald

I remember Victor Dornan or Doran as manager of the cinema and prior to Stickey he was feared and respected and remembered well walking to the front of the pit at the Saturday Matenee? touching his head when silence was restored to start the film ! Another relative of his, Mina Doran from Railway Street was in the BBC RADIO production of the Mc Cooeys and of course Sticky Slone controlled the Balcony and Stalls while as Barney has confirmed Professer Smith was in charge of the pit I think the biggest sell out that I can remember was Annie Get Your Gun ! It caused a traffic jam in Bow Street which was unheard of then and probably made the Herald & Standard ,Hollywood had arrived in Lisburn ? Brilliant Memories Regards Ted

Ted, Dabbler, Donald, etc. I remember my aunt Annie telling me that when Calamity Jane was showing in the Picture House, all the girls from the Netting Department (including herself) rushed up after their work to get in to see the film. Donald, I'm sure your Aunt Kathleen and Nellie were among the throng too. "Ill be home tonight by the light of the silvery moon".

I think I remember writing here that I walked one night along the Magheralave Road with Shaun Hamilton and Ken Burns singing hit songs from one of those movies.. Yes, I know it's hard to believe that welterweight boxer Ken sang Doris Day songs, but it's true. I don't think he was exactly a Howard Keel, but he stayed in tune. Lovely memory.

Ann
Ted, Dabbler, Donald, etc. I remember my aunt Annie telling me that when Calamity Jane was showing in the Picture House, all the girls from the Netting Department (including herself) rushed up after their work to get in to see the film. Donald, I'm sure your Aunt Kathleen and Nellie were among the throng too. "Ill be home tonight by the light of the silvery moon".

Ann
I mentioned it here years ago, my aunts, your aunts and Liz´s aunts took us all one Saturday afternoon to the Regal or Majestic to see Doris Day in Calamity Jane . She sang " I can´t get a man with a gun"! Were you not there? Joe, Will Thompson, myself and my brother but to name a few. Afterwards we went to a chip shop nearby .Almost 60 years ago.
donald

Donald, was RE at the Tech held in Room 37/1?

Donald, I cannot remember going to the pictures on the occasion you mention. My aunt did take me to the pictures; also to Belfast Zoo one rainy Easter Monday after I had coaxed it out of her. I remember getting off the green bus and boarding either a tram or trolley-bus which left us off at Hazelwood. I don't think we were there very long when I wanted home again. Spoilt or what?

Donald, The Regent Cinema in Belfast also had double seats in the left-hand aisle. How did I know that?

Ann The Dog kennel Lane had trees ! How did I know about that ?

Ted, I imagine you had some girl pinned up against one.!!!!!!

Ted, forgot to add, "How did I know that?"

Ann I am surprised you even knew it existed ? It was a great spot sometimes you were serenaded by the music coming out of the camp and on the way back down the Magheralave there was an orchard were we picked our 5 a day and hoped like hell there was no lipstick on the shirt collar a real giveaway especially when you were supposed to be at the holy hour Regards Ted

After reading all this brazen stuff I can only say how glad that I, as a young teenager was a good Irish Catholic in a perpetual state of grace!

Will never forget the "Beetlers" where one evening over 50 years ago I lost my virginity and the young beautiful girl whom I loved so dearly but we parted because were our parents were not understanding due to our religious differences said " you know I should not be allowing you to do this"!
donald

Ted, Mina Dornan was the daughter of Victor Dornan who was the manager of the Picture House. She was a friend of my Mother. Pam

for goodness sake start talking about pubs again. this is getting very raunchy. none of that oul carry on at my age.

I'm sure everyone is delighted that Eamon is contributing.

Donald I wonder did the news make it into the Netting about what she put you through ? as you know very little liaisons didn't go unnoticed in the area without it first been discussed there ,I myself dreaded Sunday mornings as a Aunt who worked there would always call at the house and she was always able to relate as to where
you danced on Sat nights Big Hall Orange Hall, Leigon Hall , always the same tune "There talking about you in the netting" and who you were dancing with ,nobody's talking now !
God they were great days Memories Regards Ted .

another worker in the pit was big jimmy devlinhe used to be eating a big raw onion while he took our tickets,he was going with one of the phillips girls from the lane back then ,anne mcdonald also used to sell the tickets for the stalls or the balcony

Ted
Donald I wonder did the news make it into the Netting about what she put you through ? as you know very little liaisons didn't go unnoticed in the area without it first been discussed there ,I myself dreaded Sunday mornings as a Aunt who worked there would always call at the house and she was always able to relate as to where

you danced on Sat nights Big Hall Orange Hall, Leigon Hall , always the same tune "There talking about you in the netting" and who you were dancing with ,nobody's talking now !

God they were great days Memories Regards Ted .

Ted

my grandfather was a net weaver who worked all his life in the Netting, operating a pedal driven netting machine barefoot!!!. When he retired at 70 he could hardly walk because of callouses on his feet. There are photos of the workers in the Netting here on the site taken sometime in the 30s/40s

http://www.lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/barbours-netting-1939.html

http://www.lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/netting-department.html

Memories yes but great days ????
donald

Ted, the Dog Kennel Lane is still where it always was. I think houses are now built on the site. Must look next time I'm passing.

Donald, far, far too much information. Please respect the sensitivities of Daphne.

1 2