Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
About me

hi to anyone who remembers me.I was born at 11 hill street 1937 and left for England
1959.I've lived in Whitby in north Yorkshire for 51 years.Iknow several names and some
photographs. I went to Lisburn boys and Hilden schools and walked from hill street
down the low road every morning to school for 3 years.
Leo Morgan.

Re: About me

Hi Leo I must say the name is familiar but I can't put a face to it I would be 2 years older than yourself and went to the boys ,Would you remember Gerry Murray from Hill St and there was also a Francie Morgan from Batchlers Walk and there was also a Morgan family from Gregg St maybe Barney might remember ,Nice to hear from you Regards Ted

Hello Leo, I remember Maureen Morgan from Bachelor's Walk, probably no relation. Did you go to England for work all those years ago? Just asking out of interest. I see you have settled in Yorkshire. Have you ever been back to Lisburn? Have you still got your NI accent and do you miss the potato bread? PS. My older brother Leonard and Malachy would be around your age, give or take. Do you remember them? The surname is Lavery and they were from the Low Road. There was a cheeky boyo went to Hilden School at that time too, someone called Ronnie I think. Just cannot recall his surname but he was from the Low Road too.

Leo, Your name rings a bell with me. Did you know my sister Patsy Sheridan at Hilden School? I'm much younger of course but I still recognise the name.(Four years younger I would have been about 19 when you left Lisburn. As Ann was saying have you ever been back? Welcome to the forum we need new people with new stories of thier travels. Pamela

Leo; I certainly remember you at the Boys. Joe Reid

Hello Leo,
You must have been at Hilden school at the same time as me, however, I cannot recall you.
Anne,
I think I know the young chap to whom you are referring. I always found him to be a charming, erudite and altogether a real nice boy!!!

Leo, if it really IS you, I watched you get a thrashing for fighting, when you had the cheek to tell 'the master' that your ma told you to hold your own. Again I say 'if it is really you', you will be able to tell me your relationship to the Staffords of Bullicks Court. Should you decide to continuinue contributing - WELCOME!

Re: About me'erudite'

'erudite'. Did you look that one up in the dictionary?

Ann' this post is as interesting as your recipes. hahha!

It looks like I was right to be sceptical.
I may be poorly educated, but...

I've decided to accept things as they are on the forum. Anybody know a very old soppy song that goes; If you ever go to Ireland will you take a message for me?

But I'mm still very confused. Did Jim Collins really email to ask if I wanted someone off the forum? And did my brother really tell me on here that my dear old friend Shaun had died?
I'm thinking of going for counselling. Go on then - take the *****

Leo,when I started Hilden School I was living in Barnsleys Row.An older boy would walk my brother and myself to the bus stop and then to the school. He brought us back home again after school.His name was Seamus Morgan and I can`t remember what happened to him.I am only sure that he didn't finish his primary education at Hilden School.Aidan.

Dabbler, you wouldn't say that if you tasted one of my sausage rolls. With brown sauce, I might add. Gorgeous!!!! Fattening too. I haven't made any this week after all, but hope to do so tomorrow.

Better eaten than written about, no doubt, Ann, even in prose worthy of Dr Johnson.

the name Leo Morgan rings a bell for me but ****ed if i can recall anything about it now

hi Aidan,
Seamus is my younger brother by 9 years.he is keeping well and lives 25 miles away in Redcar.

hello dabbler,
It's me allright. the Staffords were my aunt uncle with cousins Hughie Tommy and Margaret.next door lived Willie and Kevin Kerr, Davie Andrews lived 2 doors up,
Robert is your brother and your mother was Maggie.
I could go on for ages about up the green or down the halla, aka barnsleys row, Hill street and Pipers hill.
tell Ann I hav'nt had any tatie farls for 50 years.

Leo; nice to hear from an old neighbour, I heard that Willie Kerr was accidentally shot in a hunting accident. I hope he was not badly hurt. I recall Hughie and Tommy fairly well. Tommy used to keep ferrets, and I once saw one bite him. Violence of some sort heightebs many of my memories; almost as much as sadness. My brother Robert died of cancer within the past ten years. Wee Maggie had ten of us. Iwas first, then Robert, less than two years later. My youngest brother, twenty two or three years my junior, has Early Onset Dementia. Welcome to my world.

Hi dabbler,
sorry to hear about your brothers, I lost my wife to cancer last years, it takes a bit of getting used to on your own after 50 years togather.
I have an Irish red setter to keep me busy, we go to the beach every morning.
I often see the Ulsterbus at the Royal hotel in Whitby.

excuse my spelling as I'm only learning the computer. happy days.