Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Day Out

Yesterday a friend and I went to Newry for the afternoon. She was treating me to a late Christmas lunch. It was a lovely, sunny day, which was great, as we had cancelled our outing the previous week due to the snow and ice. We didn't do anything very exciting, except going round the shops. Great shopping in comparison to the city of Lisburn. The assistants in the shops are very friendly and helpful, which is a nice touch. Ballymena staff are the same, homely and chatty. We visited the Canal Court Hotel and had lunch, which was buffet type, and very reasonable and enjoyable. We bought a few bits and bobs in make-up and then drove home. I know it's nothing exciting but just thought I'd post it anyway. I may go into Lisburn today, but that could change. Already this morning I've walked the dog, taken 3 phone calls, my eldest son called (in fact, he's still here) we've had breakfast and now I'm on here. Haven't done a pick in the house so far, so, as I say, I may go out and I may not. Looking out, it's still a beautifully, sunny day, the crocuses are well up, snowdrops are fully out and tulips on their way too. Who says it's not spring?

Re: A Day Out

No wonder your house is like a midden.
I worry for poor Dominic.

Low Roader, I worry for poor Dominic myself. At least, I let him think I do. Today being another fine, sunny day we headed (with Tess) to Newcastle. Coming towards the town the Mournes were breathtakingly beautiful, towering majestically over everything below. No wonder Percy French wrote the lovely ballad, "Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the Sea". Really gorgeous scenery here which is only appreciated when you haven't seen it for a while. We went for a good walk along the front; the tide was in and the water was glittering in the sun. Loads of people in Newcastle today, but we arrived early and had no trouble finding a parking space. We had lunch in Percy French's Restaurant and drove home the scenic route, taking in Rostrevor. Barney, if you happen to be looking in, we passed through Kilkee, thought I might see you about. That's my news for today. Tonight "Call the midwife", followed by "Mr Selfridge". Before that, "Countryfile". Sunday night is good TV.

ann,
your description of your day in newcastle was lovely i'm very envious. it's my favourite place and when i do get home on a trip, i can spend hours just walking the mournes tom

Tom, glad you enjoyed he wee description. I suppose it was enough to remind you of how Newcastle looks in the sunshine. I was just saying that we should go there once a week when the weather is good. Nearly every seaside town is within driving distance but we hardly ever avail of this when we should.