Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
February brings the rain

Well, February is supposed to bring the rain, to "thaw the frozen lakes again". We were taught this rhyme at primary school. However, this February so far we've had snow, hailstones and frost but no rain so far. Not complaining, mind you, as it will come shortly no doubt. Can't believe we're into February. The snowdrops are showing their heads, crocus shoots coming up and even the daffodils are promising a show, maybe next month. The tulips won't be far behind, so spring is definitely in the air.

Re: February brings the rain

Didn't want to make my posting too long in case of SPAM, so here's another wee bit. Last night I watched a brilliant and very interesting documentary on Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland. If you ever see this being shown again, watch it if you're anyway interested in literature at all. Fascinating documentary. Previous to that, another documentary which was equally as good was all about Paris life in the year 1928. Of course, Ernest Hemingway was mentioned but so were an awful lot of artists, of whom I know nothing. However, great and informative viewing. Dominic went into the kitchen to watch Casualty.!!!!!!!

Let's be honest here.
You were watching this because Strictly has finished!!!
You also were probably looking back to your childhood in 1928 and reminiscing on how things have changed.
BTW February is still winter snowdrops will appear 'cause they come up through the snow, hence the name.
Education is a wonder4ful thing.

Hemingway lived for a while and often vacated in Lignano near Venice. There is a park named after him and the Mayor presented him with a piece of ground in the hope he would stay there but he moved to Paris I think.
donald

Hi all,

Back to the future! We watched a forgotten great film the other evening until Midnight, "The Magnificient Seven".

Had forgotten most of it, enjoyed it more second time around. They don't make them like that anymore.

Reminded me of my Father who loved to see good triumph over evil. He admired Clint Eastwood in the poncho, strolling into town to clean up, smoking a cheroot. Maybe it will be reshown soon too.

I now believe old is best everytime, now I am old too. Pat

We too watched a great oldie the other night. It was "The Detective Story" starring Kirk Douglas, William Bendix and Eleanor Powell. Thoroughly enjoyed this film - almost all set inside a police station - brilliant. Definitely don't make 'em like this anymore. AND, not a bit of flesh on show.

Here we go. LR, you may be correct about Strictly. However, I tend to record any programme I think may be of interest and view it later. Westerns for Dominic; as for myself, I have a great variety of tastes, varying from musicals to documentaries to history and war.

As I didn't attend the School of Excellence in Hilden, my education has suffered no doubt. However, in our wee school - the Convent - we were taught never to contradict our elders. As you point out, I was born in 1928, so you get my drift, eh. DO YOU HEAR ME!!!!!

LR, my glass is always half full, hence my hastening spring. Who wants to dwell on winter now that the the nights are getting lighter. Waken up and smell the roses, although they're not due until June come to think of it.

Donald, Hemingway was very well travelled. He worked and played for a long time in Paris in the 20s. He lived there with his first wife, Hadley, although that didn't stop him having other liaisons. You should read his life story - fascinating reading. Of course, as Low Roader says, I was there myself in the 20s so can vouch for a lot of it. One female he had no time for was Scott Fitzgerald's wife, Zelda. From their first meeting, he realised that she was mad.

KK,
As you know, I now have a lot of time on my hands and you know the old saying " The devil finds work......" so having spent some time reading your wittering it was fairly obvious that your education was slightly lacking and for that reason alone I will forgive your confusion over winter and spring.
Just for all our sakes do not wish your life away.

Low Roader, I don't wish my life away but I am looking forward to spring. However, as I've promised one of my now grown-up grandchildren that I'm going to live until I am 200 I have a wee bit to go yet. Oh dear, maybe this lighthearted bantering won't suit the lurkers!!!!!

Ann, Forget about the lurkers,they enjoy the forum on the fly. I think it was yourself mentioning Wee Wee that did it.

now that's not fair. Pamela gets away with mentioning wee wee and I get censored for using the word *****cat. I know ill cleverly disguise it. FUSSYCAT.

Pamela, I'll have to consider the sensitivity of the lurkers when posting in future. Mind you, I could have used another word instead of "wee wee". They got the drift anyhow.

Where's Daphne?. now look what you lot have done with your herd mentality and bullying. Come-on girl get in there don't let them get to you. p s im thinking of forming a lurker's club.

Eamon, You are just stirring the pot you bad boy you.

Eamon lowercase
Where's Daphne?. now look what you lot have done with your herd mentality and bullying. Come-on girl get in there don't let them get to you. p s im thinking of forming a lurker's club.

i only asked daphne had she any idea's

Barney, these people who can only criticise. Hey, maybe she's a critic for a world famous company.!!!!!!!!

"World famous company?

Maybe the Simpsons,

Pat

there you go again.LEAVE DAPHNE ALONE. pat and ann you should be ashamed of yourselves. stop sniping at daphne. no wonder the poor girl has turned into a lurker. come on daphne come out of the shadows and wup their asses. i'll be right behind you.

Re: February brings the rain/we have snow/wakeup call - whatever

Eamon

Thank you for your support. Coping well with my new found notoriety - my name seems to be "lurking" in several places on the forum now. For me there is life after forum, I don't lurk all day every day, but I'll be back, I haven't got the drift syndrome as some would appear to believe.

Lurkers keep lurking!!

Daphne, I think I'm warming to you. You appear to have a fairly well hidden sense of humour, but I can see it's there. You know you like us, despite yourself.

Lurkers of the site unite
donald

Eamonm,

Daphne is well able to snipe & swipe herself, as seen by the above, she is jealous of our variety of posts I think.?

Sorry we can't take her derogatory comments as gospel.

Pat

hi pat settle yourself. may I suggest a wee diazepam and a double brandy.