Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
county down

county down outside of hilden and the low road there is not many contributers to the foum except beano and an odd one from me from the county down.
there was names I remembered from the county down most of which were pidgeon fanciers,sam potts herbie Phillips jim neil eddie mcleaning the mc coosh bros all from Sloane st.
levi mcguiggan jimmy Hamilton myself from Gregg st.
I know ted wants to extend the forum for other parts of the town so im just talking of the few I knew although I know more if I can remember I will post to see what it motivates for others to contribute

Re: county down

I do not have any real knowledge of "The county Down"but I really enjoy other people's memories.
To me it (the Co Down) revolved round the Wee Park when I was fairly young. Later years involved the arch in Sloan Street listening to music of the day or The Barbour Playing Fields for football reasons.
The same lack of knowledge would apply to almost any other part of the town outside Hilden and the Low Road.

Low Roader, I remember you mentioned one time that "China Doll" was one of the songs played in your youth over at the arch.

Gregg St Boy. I had cousins who lived in Co Down. Sometimes I visited them but apart from that I didn't really know the Co Down. Some girls from primary school lived in the Co Down too but it was a different place to me. I also, on an odd occasion, played in the Co Down Park. I remember I burnt my thigh going down the big slide. Wasn't there a paddling pool there too? I think we Low Road girls were a bit intimidated by the Co Downers. We were more genteel. Now, wait for the onslaught.

looks like I had luck of the irish I lived in the county down my father was from lemington my granparents lived in lemington my uncles lived in victory st and an uncle in hilden an aunt in east down view iworked with a few guys from the low rd in altona I married a girl from the longstone who lived beside the hughes and mcconnels and the heasleys married jean 50yers in march was I not lucky.

Anne, China Doll, Cheatin' Heart,Lipstick on your collar
Those were days my friend, I hoped they'd never end.
Youthful innocence replaced by cynical adulthood.
Bring on the clowns!!

Lowroader
you forgot " Springtime in the Rockies"´, The wild colonial boy", and the most important one " when Johnny comes marching home again"; which we sung for Colonel Smith and his Lady Bride taught to us by Andy Brodey.
donald

I remember the arch, the music, and a lot of people - Boals, Finns, Clarks. As usual, there were a few scraps.