Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
a
Alan
The Depression Discussion - My Story
I too have suffered from “induced depression”, caused by the anxiety & stress brought on by my poor biopsy results a year ago this month and the Lupron that I have been on for the last seven months. I have always been a somewhat anxious person and th...
Views: 344   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 2:01pm
by Jack Assainte
j
jal
grains
Hi, Dr Mercola recently stated that most if not all grains are not good. Any opinions? Also, as part of active surveilance, I consume walnuts by the handfull..is there a downside to eating too many walnuts?? jal
Views: 317   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 26, 2012 12:35pm
by jal
d
Dale K
Robotic vs. Open surgery
I am trying to decide about this. I had my biopsy 12/2/11 and have G score of 6 after they found cancer in 5 of 12 samples. 1. 50% 2. 40% 3. 20% 4. 10% 5. 5% I would like to hear about some more info that would be helpful to my decision making.
Views: 226   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2012 1:07am
by Alan
h
HR
Robotic Assisted vs. Open Radical Surgery
Hello. I am new to this forum. I am 42. On Monday I received results from a biopsy indicating that I had prostate cancer in 4 cores out of 10. One had 3+3 and the other three showed 3+4. I had the biopsy because of an elevated PSA of 4.08, then 3.25, then 3.55 o...
Views: 305   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 6:13am
by bobbyboy
Janaury E-Letter and Depression
I have just sent out the January E-Letter. Those of you who haven't subscribed can read it on that link if you wish. You will see that one of the pieces I have included is a link to a new page on the site - DEPRESSION . I have done this because it is one of the...
Views: 258   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 4:52am
by David
a
Alan
Subject: Lupron Depot– HELP NEEDED with an Unusual Case
In an earlier post, I talked about being diagnosed a T1c and how the local Urologist gave me an unwarranted Lupron injection out of ignorance or greed, telling me only that it would shrink the tumor and give me time to research options. However, I used the knowled...
Views: 459   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 21, 2012 2:00pm
by Danny S
l
Lynn
Need Referral to doc for advanced (metastatic) PC in Southwest Florida. HELP!
Does anyone have a referral for my father in southwest Florida, recently diagnosed with PC w/bone metastasis. He is finding it very difficult to find a competent for therapy. Thanks!!!!!!!
Views: 280   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 21, 2012 10:29am
by Lynn
weight gain linked to prostate cancer
THE risk of death from prostate cancer nearly doubles in men who have put on 20 kilograms or more in their adult life, new Australian research has found. Advertisement: Story continues below The paper, published in the International Journal of Cancer, shows an in...
Views: 306   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 20, 2012 3:07pm
by Terry Herbert
b
Bruce
Proton versus Photon
Just when I became comfortable with my decision to have photon radiation for salvage therapy I am getting advice to get proton. I would like to hear the pros and cons of the two as it relates to salvage therapy specifically. I did get on a site "protoninfo" and it...
Views: 366   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 20, 2012 4:36am
by R Scott
b
BHO
cost of hifu
Dear YANA members. We have decided to go with the Hifu Sonoblade 500 to treat my husbands first stage prostate cancer gleason 6, but its so expensive. Does anyone know of any pleace to do this treament without the $25.OOO fee? Also any feedback regarding this treamen...
Views: 400   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 17, 2012 12:25pm
by Alan
What's up with Pencil beam?
I'm planning on having proton beam. I noticed MD Andersons says they are one of the only centers with "pencil beam" capability. I was going to Loma Linda because Blue Cross of Miss. won't pay for proton. Does anyone know if pencil beam is better than regular proto...
Views: 492   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 17, 2012 3:45am
by Fred
a
Alan
Informed choices & personal responsibility
In this information/internet age, it is hard to believe, and almost inexcusable, that the majority of men allow themselves to be led by the hand by their doctors from screening through treatment - unwisely & unquestionably putting their full faith in the man because...
Views: 324   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 15, 2012 8:18am
by Jack
t
Tom F
How do they calculate % of cancer in gland based on biospy results
Using my case as an example, the biospy involved 14 cores taken from the peripheral zone of my prostate, that amounts to approx. 290 millimeters (added them up from the Lab. report) of core tissue reviewed in the pathology of which 1 core (right middle) had 4.3 milli...
Views: 306   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 14, 2012 4:25pm
by Terry Herbert
Handbook for doctors
There is an interesting short video clip here Christopher Logothetis where Dr Logothetis briefly reviews some of the newer options for treating advanced disease - his speciality. But it is his call for ....the creation of a handbook that helps physicians underst...
Views: 246   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2012 10:35am
by Terry Herbert
a
Alan
The scarcity of diagnostic tests, clashing study info (& a couple of things for Tom F)
Tom F, I was reading some of your old posts & didn’t see anything about having your PSA Density & Velocity checked. I say this because a study conducted by Dr. Bubley, DeWolfe & others @ Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston found that PSA Density...
Views: 192   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 13, 2012 7:29am
by Tom F
t
Tom F
Personality types & prostate cancer connection
Have read recently about the connection between different men's behavior patterns/personalities & being more proned to develop prostate cancer. Any one else have any comments in this area?
Views: 303   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 12, 2012 2:41pm
by Tom F
Are PSA screenings for prostate cancer actually hurting men?
I seen this on MSN this morning so I thought I'd share it. It seems like the PSA test is getting a lot of attention these days. ---- Are PSA screenings for prostate cancer actually hurting men? The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force made waves in October wh...
Views: 310   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 11, 2012 4:17am
by Bruce
b
Bruce
Difference between salvage and primary radiation treatment.
Does anyone know if salvage radiation is any different than primary treatment radiation in regard to exposure and surrounding tissue damage?
Views: 327   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 10, 2012 11:38am
by Frank
Active Surveillance?
I have been in active surveillance under the care of my Urologist who has a good reputation for approx. three years. During this three year period I have had three Biopsies. My first Biopsy was 2 cores positive for Cancer. One core less than 1% involvement with the s...
Views: 269   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 10, 2012 2:26am
by William McAtee
Zoladex!!!!!!!!
Hello Everyone, I was also on Zoladex injections 15 years ago for 18 months, I was still able to work and have a normal life, my brother is just so sick with the Zoladex. He is so weak, confused, depressed and I wonder... if it is not more his state of mind that...
Views: 295   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 9, 2012 12:59pm
by Jack Assainte
t
Tom F
Bowel Movement trigger PC pain?
Maybe I am letting my PC paranoia get the better of me, but seems like I have some pain in my lower groin & rectum area for an hour or so just after a bowel movement. Anyone else have similar symptoms? thanks!
Views: 298   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 8, 2012 7:09am
by Jack Assainte
Recently diagnosed with Prostate Cancer
Hi, I am a 55 yr old from Washington state & here is my story: Began seeing a Urologist annually when I was 48 as there is a history of prostate cancer in my Father's family, he was diagnosed at 75 with a small tumor & elected brachytherapy to keep it in check. So,...
Views: 385   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 8, 2012 9:41am
by esp
A few questions
Hi guys, I was diagnosed about a month ago...PSA 3.3,Gleason 3 + 3=6,1 positive from 12 plugs. Urologist didn't stage, but says it,s early stage and slow growing. He recommended surgery, and admitted he doesn't know much about the other treatments. He did mention...
Views: 400   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 7, 2012 9:07am
by Joe Holtslag
t
Tom F
Why do Active Surveillance articles favor men 65+ with low risk diagnosis?
The answer I come up with is once again related to not being able to provide younger men with low risk numbers enough information to make a comprehensive decision on their prognosis. So, now it is apparent to me that their is more support mounting for even men under...
Views: 304   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jan 7, 2012 9:05am
by Terry Herbert
l
Lily
husband recently diagnosed
My husband was recently diagnosed. He's 47. Gleason 4+4=8 and 3+3=6 We're recently married - no children yet. His urologist scheduled surgery for 3 weeks. We feel confident in our decision but are getting alot of friends/family suggesting different routes. Does...
Views: 320   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 7, 2012 4:26am
by Joe Holtslag
testosterone levles and energy
I recently pointed out that my testosterone went from a low of 5 about 4 months ago after ADT to a current 26. Of course that is way below the normal range, but enough to allow me to walk at a 3 mph pace, which gives me a 95% chance of living another 10 years, acco...
Views: 334   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 7, 2012 2:44am
by Jack Assainte
Night & Leg bag cleaning
Aloha, For those of you who are using a catheter, I've found that a little squirt of Dawn liquid detergent and then water will keep urine (night & leg) bags clean and odorless. It is a lot less trouble than using a mix of vinegar & water. I purchase the bulk sizes a...
Views: 174   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2012 2:32am
by Joe Mac
ADT Injection Considerations
Hello All, After a recent GS8 diagnosis, I have opted to join a clinical trial here at the University of Florida Proton Thereapy Institute (UFPTI)investigating the effectiveness of adding low dose chemo while receiving 9 weeks of proton radiation. After the 9 w...
Views: 419   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 3, 2012 2:12am
by Jack Assainte
j
Jo
Experience with Firmagon
I am looking for anyone who can discuss their experience with Firmagon. My husband started that drug and dropped Lupron in January 2011. The first 6 months were hard - strong reaction to each injection that included severe fatigue and chills. He was also on an ipi...
Views: 321   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 2, 2012 7:04am
by Jack Assaine
s
stanm
rising sa
after two years psa went from .01 to.02, considering radaition
Views: 308   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 1, 2012 3:47pm
by Terry Herbert
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS