Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zoladex!!!!!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I was also on Zoladex injections 15 years ago for 18 months, I was still able to work and have a normal life, my brother is just so sick with the Zoladex.
He is so weak, confused, depressed and I wonder... if it is not more his state of mind that is causing all of these side effects?

I am truely happy to have people to ask all of my questions.

Thank You All.

Angela

Re: Zoladex!!!!!!!!

Angie,

The Golden Rule of Prostate Cancer is this:

THERE ARE NO RULES!!

24 differing strains of prostate cancer have been identified - there may be more, but it also seems that the way in which individual men react to these strains can vary enormously. So much seems to depend on issue slike genetic background, diet, life style, but no firm correlations have yet been identified except in the broadest way.

We know that sedentary, overweight men who smoke and drink have a higher risk of developing and succumbing to the disease. But that doesn't mean that all men like this will either get PCa or die from it: nor does it mean that cleanliving, energetic men who ercise regulalry, are not overweight and eat well will avoid the disease or death. The only thing that changes is the odds.

And so it is with therapies. There seems to be a view at times that all bodies are 'standard' - removing a prostate gland, in terms of this theory, is no different from removing a carburettor. But that simply isn't so. Prostate glands vary enormsouly in size shape and even connections - like hands or eyes or ears - there are no 'standard' body parts.

This means that the outcomes of therapies are infinitely variable. Some men are fortunate enough to sail through with very few problems or minor problems they can adapt to: others are not so lucky. Androgen Deprivation Therapies like Zoladex are no different to any other therapy: some men react bady to the drug: some don't (including me, fortunately, as I had very few side effects).

Your brother may well be one of the unfortunate ones, Angie who has had a severe reaction. Changing the drug, when the current dose of Zoladex expires may help him, but he may be genuinely depressed about his diagnosis. It is one thing to talk about cancer theoretically (or even practically for an 'old hand' like me who has got used to the idea of possibly dying over the past 15 years) but it is quite another thing when the word is applied to you personally. He may need some profesional help to get out of the depressive state and, as I say perhaps change drugs.

I'm sure you're very worried about him, but telling someone who is depressed to 'snap out of it' doesn't help. he may njot be able to help himself.

Terry in Australia

I've been to hell and back with ADT side effects. One has to fight back hard or they'll start feeling like they're losing the battle and depression will certainly increase. Sure you can have drugs prescribed to help with the symptoms and these may be beneficial for short term relief but they only treat the symptoms.

My belief is that new habits need to be established especially in the areas of nutrition and exercise. Science has shown that if you can do the same thing for about two weeks, you most likely have established a habit. This seems especially true if one starts a routine right after waking up every morning. Diet should also be strictly regulated and I would suggest professional help as sugar and cholesterol levels are factors in his health. Calcium supplements twice daily with sunlight/Vitamin D3 should also be discussed.

In doing this do the symptoms go away? NO THEY DON'T! but one reaches a plateau where life becomes enjoyable again and more importantly puts you in control. - p (Alaska, USA)

My belief is that new habits need to be established especially in the areas of nutrition and exercise. Science has shown that if you can do the same thing for about two weeks, you most likely have established a habit. This seems especially true if one starts a routine right after waking up every morning.

I agree totally with you. When I awake I listen to a radio doc's ipod on the internet. Because I have a bad back I have to exercise around it. Most often I will get on my back, put on ankle and hand weights and pump my arms and legs for half an hour. I don't get a real sweat, but at least I get a warm glow. I do the same routine, again for half an hour, in late afternoon seven days a week. I did that all through my ADT treatments, except on injection day and the day after each month. During the day my home is my gym. I will do modified pushup, dips and squats using stairs and chairs. I'm used to exercise, which I did daily for years as a marathon runner, which is what probably did my back in. I'm now 79 years old and a VIP customer at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Ciao for now
USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS