Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bowel Movement trigger PC pain?

Maybe I am letting my PC paranoia get the better of me, but seems like I have some pain in my lower groin & rectum area for an hour or so just after a bowel movement. Anyone else have similar symptoms? thanks!

Re: Bowel Movement trigger PC pain?

Tom,

It is always worth checking on anything that causes concern. If I were your medical advisor, the first question I would ask is "Have you experienced this, or anything like this previously?"

There is no doubt that many of us - me included - focus much more closely on this kind of issue after we have been diagnosed. In my case there were two that kept me awake at night for a while.

The fist was a sharp pain in my lower back. "OMG! The cancer spreads to the spine and then you are dead! I'm a goner!" This of course was at a time when my urologist had urged me to have surgery within six weeks of diagnosis to avoid the window of opportunity closing. Was it closed already? Should I have had the surgery quicker? And then, as I started learning a bit more, I realised that the pain in my back was the same old pain that had caused me problems intermittently for the past twenty plus years - arising from playing foolish contact sports and having a spine that was longer than the design specification (according to a doctor I had consulted years earlier - being tall led to the same spinal problems in humans as in dachshunds!)

Having sorted that out in my mind I then developed a pain in my groin - about where I had established the lymph glands might be! By now I had learnd about lymph nodes and how they are often the first stop for the disease before getting to the spine. "OMG! So it WAS too late!!" but then I thought about my lumbar pain and started the memory banks going in a rational way, discovering that the first time I had had this pain was in 1981 after driving my wife's Mini from Cape Town to Harare in Zimbabwe.

What a relief! Since then I have indeed paid a deal of attention to what my body is trying to tell me, but at the same time avoiding worry as far as possible.

As I say, by all means investigate potential problems, but bear in mind that there are always some aches and pains about that come and go - especially as you approach your 'best before date' as I am.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Terry,
Come to think of it, can't recall this pain being a problem prior to my prostate biospy in early November of 2011. Not really having any additional prostate symptoms at this time, but will check with Dr. if this persists, I hear ya on the freaking out for any little pain front, thanks!

It could well be related to the biopsy (more likely that than PCa) because those needles can cause some nerve damage on the way through - there have even been men who claimed to have lost potency after a biopsy.

Should get better over time, if that is the cause.

Terry in Australia

Speaking of biopsies, my Pca was diagnosed with the doctor taking only 4 samples. I see many guys get as much as twelve. I'm glad it was only 4 samples because they hurt A LOT. Fortunately, while I experienced blood in my urine (scary) for about two weeks I didn't need to go to the emergency room. Later the doctor used a cystoscope. A numbing solution was put into my penis before the instrument, but it hurt really, really bad. I would undergo that procedure only under sedation in the future.

Jack,
If your biopsy "hurt a LOT", then it's time for a new uro. With today's procedures/drugs there is no reason to experience biopsy pain. For my last one, not only did my uro numb the prostate, he also gave me percocet orally 30 mins prior to procedure. He took 18 cores and I smiled the entire time...(now where can I get more of that stuff without doing a biopsy!)

Thanks for that information.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS