Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lets move up towards the town centre

Ted,
I reckon Gregg Street would be about right for the boxing loving macho woman. Her first name may have been Sadie.

I remember living next door to Paddy Stoops. I worked in his shed bundling sticks and selling them to Mulhollands Shop on the corner of Lamington Place where we used to play marbles!

I remember living next door to Paddy Stoupes. I worked in his shed bundling sticks and selling them to Mulhollands Shop on the corner of Lamington Place where we used to play marbles!

I can picture her clearly as she use to come into Elmore's for potted herrings and she also frequently went to the pit to watch a film and for some reason the name Mary still is a possibility ,given time someone will come up with an answer, at one time I could have lifted the phone and got her name ,but they are not around any more either ,Sad really!

Her name was Mary Fulton, married to Johnny Clarke. They lived in Young Street and she was a big boxing fan. When one of John Rogers fights in the Quay boxing club was recorded on the radio, Mary could be heard cheering him on above the crowd. She was a character but very kind hearted.
She also enjoyed the parades in town and would walk parallel to the leader of her favorite band, usually the Lisburn silver. Her husband Johnny was famous for making split cane fly rods from scratch, a lot of officers from the barracks who were into fishing would buy from him.
Terry

Hello once again,
Mary Fulton was my father (James Johnston's) Aunt.
My father used to speak fondly of her and her bloomers that were always on show!
She had a obsession about lighters and loved collecting them. Yes she did marry Johnny clarke and he was clever with making fishing rods.
Lovely to hear memories of her.
Take care
Sally.