Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lets move up towards the town centre

Hilden has been given enough attention, lets move up towards the town centre . First stop Grand St. Jack Duffy who played the Dulce, Sarah Morrows wee shop and Tommy McCahey for a start.
Lets see who begins
donald

Re: Lets move up towards the town centre

Donald, I cannot remember everyone in that row, but I do recall Mrs McDonald, who lived in one of the houses with high steps. I think Tommy McCahey lived in the other one, but not sure about that. There was Granny Sharkey, Jack Grimley (I actually remember his sister now, but didn't know her name), Mrs Dornan (remember Neil and Dinah, his sister), Lizzie Sherry, Robbie Fleming, Doreen and Robert Hamilton and family, Maxwell Beattie and his wife. My breakfast has just been presented so I will come back later. You will remember my granny lived just across the road from Robbie Fleming in the white cottage.

Ann I was at a meeting in Lisburn Parish Centre last week and ran into Jim Mc Donald also another resident in that row was Paul Lenehan and Maurice Magee comes to mind Regards Ted

I think I can recall most of the names between Leamington and Bap Row in Grand Street.
Here goes: Morrow, Anderson, Morrows shop, Dornan, Sharkey, McKay, Grimley, Stoupes, Sharkey,McCaughey,Duffy, Lenahan, ?, Maurice Magee,s Granny, Magee, Hamilton,Finlay, Keery, Fleming.
There may have been another house in amongst the last three names but I am not sure.
When the Andersons moved to a new house close to Anne, Billy Morrow bought the house to expand the shop.
Some of those names are worth a subject all on their own.

Stoupes and Finlay; I had forgotten those, but remember now. Wasn't the daughter called Jean Finlay?. If I'm correct the mother did dressmaking. Can anyone from the Low Road/Hilden tell me what actually happened to Tommy McCaughey. The rumour at the time was that he was swimming in the Lagan and swallowed dirty water which affected his brain. I doubt that was the cause of his illness, but certainly something happened to him as he had been in the Navy prior to that and was fine.

Low Roader,

After Leneghans came LIZZIE,,,,, Sean Watters's aunt, after Hamilton came Merle Carey'S. Can't remember Lizzie's name, we all called her Aunt Lizzie.

Pat

Anne,
There were all sorts of stories about Tommy mostly revolving around swimming at The Point and dead dogs (of which there were many in the Lagan). He was also a fireman on the railway. I believe he saw his days out in Hollywell Hospital near Antrim. Tommy was a quite harmless person.
His mother, on the other hand, was a real terror.

Pat,
I don't remember the name Carey, but then I do not know the name of my neighbour 2 doors down and she has lived there for over 15 years!!!

Hi Folks, Do any of you remember Paddy Stoops doing the flittings, with only one arm that was quite a stunt! He moved my bits and pieces when I got my first house that included a piano, his helper was John Cappa. Pamela

Hi Pamela I remember both Paddy and John well if my memory serves me right Paddy's motor was an old Humber Car converted into a flat back and he had it converted which enabled him to drive with the one arm and of course Sean or John Cappa was cabable of lifting anything he was a great character to know and he came to a sad end before his time may he rest in peace Regards Ted

Ted, What happened to John? I don't remember, I must have heard at some point but I honestly don't remember. Old age must have set in when I wasn't looking. Pamela

Hi Pamela I understand Sean and his brother were doing a job for one of the Duncan's the shoe people in the town and the story goes that they were given a fish pond by him it would probably have been a fiberglass cast that you would sink in the ground so the 2 boys made there way home by the Lagan footpath and then it was decided to get into the pond and row it across the river as a short cut and that's were the disaster happened ,Lt was said Sean got caught up in the weeds but I never accepted that as he was to strong of a swimmer for that to happen ,but that's the story as I heard it ,he really was some character sadly missed , Regards Ted
la

[quote)
Low Roader,

After Leneghans came LIZZIE,,,,, Sean Watters's aunt, after Hamilton came Merle Carey'S. Can't remember Lizzie's name, we all called her Aunt Lizzie.

Pat [/quote]

P.S. Just remembered the name was Aunt Lizzie Sherry.

Merle Carey (or maybe Keery) lived there with her Father & Mother, till her Father died, probably they had to move from a Mill House.

I used to play with her, although she was a few years older. She was like myself, wasn't allowed out much in the streets, so we played in her back garden. She was a nice girl, with respectable quiet parents.
Pat

Paddy Stoupes was a great business man, most of the young boys worked for him for pocket money. He "flitted" people on his Bedford van with the big knob on the steering wheel, as he had only one arm for driving.

If a house was being cleared out he had possession of the contents, which "Dirty Dick" & his father & brother reupholstered. He then resold it as new. Smart man.

Anything not worth selling he brought to his back shed in Leamington & young schoolboys (including my son) chopped it up for selling in Mulholland's shop, as bundles of sticks. They were paid 2 shillings for Saturday all day. They were delighted.

As Eileen Corken joked "Pity Lisburn if Paddy Stoupes had 2 ARMS"

I give him credit for his ingenuity. Pat

Pamela,

Paddy got our piano too. It came from the Convent when they were refurnishing the Music Room.

Sheena won it in a ballot. It was very old with 2 candleabras & a music stand built in to it. Fretwork front with patterned covering behind the fretwork The keys were ivory too.

Paddy got it for nothing, wonder what happened to it.? Hope someone knew its value as an antique.Pr

Probably Paddy, good luck to him. He was not a lazy man.

Pat

Pat

Paddy Stoupes was a great business man, most of the young boys worked for him for pocket money. He "flitted" people on his Bedford van with the big knob on the steering wheel, as he had only one arm for driving.

If a house was being cleared out he had possession of the contents, which "Dirty Dick" & his father & brother reupholstered. He then resold it as new. Smart man.

Anything not worth selling he brought to his back shed in Leamington & young schoolboys (including my son) chopped it up for selling in Mulholland's shop, as bundles of sticks. They were paid 2 shillings for Saturday all day. They were delighted.

As Eileen Corken joked "Pity Lisburn if Paddy Stoupes had 2 ARMS"

I give him credit for his ingenuity. Pat

Pat
That Paddy Stoupes had only one arm is not strictly correct, he was friendly with my father as they were boyhood chums and he came to our house occasionally. When he was striking a match to light a cigarette he would tuck the matchbox under the arm which was supposedly missing, it must have been a stump or a miniature one. He flitted me in 1965 when I moved to Rathcoole.
I heard that sad tale about John Cappa, I remember him riding a motorcycle around Lisburn.
donald

Pat, Lizzie Sherry, who I mentioned in my posting.

Low Roader, the name Pat means is Merle Keery. I'm sure you remember her now.

Ted, Thanks for the story of Sean Cappa. I don't know way I didn't hear that at the time, God rest his soul. I'm sure his mother was in a terrible state. We only think we have troubles. Pat Paddy didn't get my piano, I kept it for years but when I was moving for the third time I thought it was time to let it go. I sold it to Roisin Kelly who owned the hairdressers on the Low Rd. Pamela

I remember living next door to Paddy Stoops. I worked in his shed bundling sticks and selling them to Mulhollands Shop on the corner of Lamington Place where we used to play marbles!

I remember living next door to Paddy Stoupes. I worked in his shed bundling sticks and selling them to Mulhollands Shop on the corner of Lamington Place where we used to play marbles!

Hi, John Cappa was my Dad, I would be interested in any stories you could share about him, I was very young when he died,

Kate
Hi, John Cappa was my Dad, I would be interested in any stories you could share about him, I was very young when he died,
Kate
I faintly remember your father John, he was a few years older than me, He helped Paddy Stoupes moving people and was one of the very few boys then who owned a motor cycle.
donald

Donald, I don’t know where you get all your info, but theres always something here to grab my attention. Did you know the big Fulton/ Fullerton woman with the short cut straight ginger hair?

Dabbler
Donald, I don’t know where you get all your info, but theres always something here to grab my attention. Did you know the big Fulton/ Fullerton woman with the short cut straight ginger hair?
Dabbler
the name Fulton, Fullerton was familar around Tullynacross and Hilden.
donald

Maggie ? (Snik) I think she resided in Gregg St,

Ted,
I reckon Gregg Street would be about right for the boxing loving macho woman. Her first name may have been Sadie.

I can picture her clearly as she use to come into Elmore's for potted herrings and she also frequently went to the pit to watch a film and for some reason the name Mary still is a possibility ,given time someone will come up with an answer, at one time I could have lifted the phone and got her name ,but they are not around any more either ,Sad really!

Her name was Mary Fulton, married to Johnny Clarke. They lived in Young Street and she was a big boxing fan. When one of John Rogers fights in the Quay boxing club was recorded on the radio, Mary could be heard cheering him on above the crowd. She was a character but very kind hearted.
She also enjoyed the parades in town and would walk parallel to the leader of her favorite band, usually the Lisburn silver. Her husband Johnny was famous for making split cane fly rods from scratch, a lot of officers from the barracks who were into fishing would buy from him.
Terry

Hello once again,
Mary Fulton was my father (James Johnston's) Aunt.
My father used to speak fondly of her and her bloomers that were always on show!
She had a obsession about lighters and loved collecting them. Yes she did marry Johnny clarke and he was clever with making fishing rods.
Lovely to hear memories of her.
Take care
Sally.