Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mary Ann Gallagher, Nan Phillips, Herbie Phillips and Bill Dalzell

Sheila was a daughter of Billy and Maureen Mckitterick. Ann McAllister was a daughter of Kathleen and Jimmy

Christine,I knew Herbie Phillips quite well when we were Apprentices in the Aircraft industry at Altona on the the Old Hillsborough,I can not say we were close friends, he was a pretty agressive young guy,but he stood out as being the only apprentice who was married,I dont think I ever met his wife who I think was from Belfast.He lived in the county Down side.I lost touch in 1957 when I went to Canada.....Frank

Another wee stroke of lightning struck the old brainbox this moment. I remembered that I once, and only once, met Herbie Phillips, when I was about sixteen. It was in a gym hall of some sort, in the County Down. Along with Jim Hamilton and a couple more lads, he was doing a bit of bodybuilding.
Go on, tell me I'm talking through my hat again!
I was there with Shaun Bushe, Raymond MacDonald, and Jimmy Taggart. We were visitors, at the invitation of Jim Hamilton.
(I lifted 90 lbs bar and dumbells above my head. I especially remember because Raymond tried and couldn't.) {Raymond being at least a stone heavier and several inches taller than this mighty atom.}

Hi Dabbler,

You are spot on. Herbie Phillips and Jim Hamilton did bodybuilding together,Norman Perry and Hubert Kidd also worked out with them.

Beano

Dabbler,Shaun Bushe,Raymond McDonald,and Jimmy Taggart,I knew from school ,but the Jim Hamilton I knew lived in Chapel Hill in a house adjoining Quinn & Downeys later Tom Keerys Grocery store.He answered to the nickname 'Humpy' .Herbie Phillips was into the Weights and didn't mind throwing his around.I vaguely recall that Gym you mention ,I went with my mate Hughie Spence just to visit!.......Frank

Hi Frank,

I know what you mean about Herbie. Is the Hugh Spence you mention, was he the one that married Norma Neill???.

Beano

Thanks for confirming that the one off meeting with Herbie Phillips was a real memory.
I've been very busy one way and another, for a wee while. It's nice to look in and see familiar names, and to read tales of the old town.

The very same Beano,I introduced them, but the matrimonials took place after I left for Canada on July 12 1957,she was a georgeus young lady,I knew her father well.he was about the best bricklayer in Lisburn at the time.....Frank

Frank,

Joe served part of his time, at the bricklaying, with Ned Neill & it was his brother, Freddie, whom Joe met when we moved South, who recommended Joe to the foreman at Limerick University, for a job at the building of new wings at U.L. where he worked for a long time & made good money.

Small world. Pat

Has anyone heard anything about any of the Gallagher family of Sloan Street, Lisburn

thank you

Christine

Christine,
If you haven't already come across it, there is a photograph in my book 'Lisburn - Life in the County Down' page 125 showing Mrs. Hamilton (senior) and her daughter Minnie Phillips standing under the arch in Sloan Street.

This photo is also on Lisburn.com website - photographs of old Lisburn. Hope this is of help.
Mavis

http://lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/sloan-street-arch-50s.html

mavis, I'm pleased to see you're still alive. I have your book, a gift from my sister, and I still love looking at old pictures, including on the website. Although I never met you, you obviously knew many people with whom I was familiar. Apparently, my friends and even my family here in England have difficulty understanding my accent when I talk quickly - which is often. I, of course, think I am talking BBC English.
i enjoy too reading these names on here, and am sad to see how seldom I responded to some 'posters', particularly as even some of those are no longer with us.

beano you and i went to sloan st school with nan and herbie phillips and jim hamilton,herbie worked with me in altona.
hugh spence my wifes uncle also worked in altona.
the hamilton boys and hazel lived a few doors up from me the father raced pidgeons am i correct beano

Right on Gregg St.boy, nothing wrong with your memory. The Hamiltons were a little bit younger than us, I do remember them well, their Granny lived in Mercer St.. Hugh Spence was a close buddy of Jimmy McClean another Forum contributor, whose pictures on Facebook are brilliant (thanks Jimmy). Nice to see you posting H.C. Love to J.C.

Beano

Did Shelia have a brother named Terry who served an apprenticeship in Hilden mill as a Painter?
donald

Donald, Yes Sheila has a brother called Terry. I see Sheila any time I go to Lisburn. She always has a word for everyone she meets. She is a lovely friendly girl. Next time I see her I will ask her about her brother.Pam