Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Mary Ann Gallagher, Nan Phillips, Herbie Phillips and Bill Dalzell

Hi Beano

I am still trying to trace my Gallagher/Phillips relatives.

Do you happen to know where I might be able to contact any one of them please?

I have also sent a messsage to Margaret on this forum to ask for help.

I would appreciate any help at all and so would my cousin Ian Gallagher ( also grandchild of Mary Ann)

Many thanks
Christine

Re: Mary Ann Gallagher, Nan Phillips, Herbie Phillips and Bill Dalzell

Richie Gallagher was married to a Lily Phillips from Pump Lane/Ridgeway Street Richie was a painter he died one morning during Mass,i know he had a son called Richie,would this be the Gallagher/Phillips you are enquiring about??,i knew that family fairly well, they lived directly opposite me in Pump Lane.
A sister Maureen was married to Billy McKitterick from the low road ,another sister Kathleen was married to Jimmy McAllister, another sister Meta married some body from Lone Ends Ballinderry,
There was 3 brothers also Bobby, John and Leo a great friend of mine,they were in Finsbury Park area of London,is this the family you knew???

BARNEY
Richie Gallagher was married to a Lily Phillips from Pump Lane/Ridgeway Street Richie was a painter he died one morning during Mass,i know he had a son called Richie,would this be the Gallagher/Phillips you are enquiring about??,i knew that family fairly well, they lived directly opposite me in Pump Lane.
A sister Maureen was married to Billy McKitterick from the low road ,another sister Kathleen was married to Jimmy McAllister, another sister Meta married some body from Lone Ends Ballinderry,
There was 3 brothers also Bobby, John and Leo a great friend of mine,they were in Finsbury Park area of London,is this the family you knew???

Billy and Maureen McKitterick ( if they are the same family Barney is talking about ) lived in Bridge Street Hilden, Billy worked for the Electric Board in Lisburn. They had 2 children, Terry and Shelia who must be in their early / middle 60s now. There was another relation Rabbie McKitterick who was a foreman painter in Hilden mill who also lived in Bridge Street Hilden. Terry served an apprenticeship in Hilden mill and later became a self employed painter. He married a girl from Lurgan named McAreavy. I remember meeting Mrs Maureen McKitterick in Carlingford about 35 years ago and she told me when my parents first married they rented a room from her in Hilden until they got a house at Lisnatrunk.

Hi Christine,

Tommy has given you better info on the other post, than I could come up with. If you are in touch with Nan tell her Billy Hanna (Mercer St.) sends his regards from Canada.

Barney and Donald,

There is no connection with the families you mention and the ones that Christine is looking for. Her family are all originally from the Co.Down, Sloan St. in particular.

Beano

Christine, Sorry I have not been back to you but I don't know Nan Phillips married name. We think she married a soldier. I went up Cromwells Highway but without the surname I drew a blank. I sent a message with Kathleen Keery to her mother Violet to see if she knows anything. Beano would know Violet Keery as she lived in Mercer St before she married. I'm still trying ! margaret

Hi Margaret,

I remember Violet Keery and daughter Kathleen very well, Violet was a McKeown before she was married. Her late husband Jim and his two brothers used to sing at local concerts in three part harmony, they were very good. I always think of them when I hear a rendition of "My Grandfather's Clock", it was always included in their repertoire.
If you should see Violet and Kathleen tell them I was asking for them.

Beano

Christine,I knew Herbie Phillips quite well when we were Apprentices in the Aircraft industry at Altona on the the Old Hillsborough,I can not say we were close friends, he was a pretty agressive young guy,but he stood out as being the only apprentice who was married,I dont think I ever met his wife who I think was from Belfast.He lived in the county Down side.I lost touch in 1957 when I went to Canada.....Frank

Another wee stroke of lightning struck the old brainbox this moment. I remembered that I once, and only once, met Herbie Phillips, when I was about sixteen. It was in a gym hall of some sort, in the County Down. Along with Jim Hamilton and a couple more lads, he was doing a bit of bodybuilding.
Go on, tell me I'm talking through my hat again!
I was there with Shaun Bushe, Raymond MacDonald, and Jimmy Taggart. We were visitors, at the invitation of Jim Hamilton.
(I lifted 90 lbs bar and dumbells above my head. I especially remember because Raymond tried and couldn't.) {Raymond being at least a stone heavier and several inches taller than this mighty atom.}

Hi Beano, the 3 Keery brothers were a quartet which included Bobby Gorman from Victory Street.They called themselves The Four Chimes, hence My Grandfather's Clock. Incidentally, do you remember how they finished off the last lines of that song?. I want you to try it....BUT IT STOPPED SHORT,,,BING BONG BING BONG BING BONG. NEVER TO GO AGAIN----WHEN THE OLD MAN DIED...........Just to help you sing it,,,The first bing bong is DOH===ME. the second===DOH===SO and the last--DOH==TEE....All TOGETHER NOW....Brendan.

Hi Dabbler,

You are spot on. Herbie Phillips and Jim Hamilton did bodybuilding together,Norman Perry and Hubert Kidd also worked out with them.

Beano

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the reminder re. "The Four Chimes" the old memory playing tricks on me. I might try the finish of the song if I had three other singers with me, I love four part harmony. Give my regards to Dougie and Spud.

Beano

Beano, Is that Jim Hamilton from Gregg St brother of Henry and Hazel ? If it is he is in Australia. I see Hazel sometimes. Margaret

Dabbler,Shaun Bushe,Raymond McDonald,and Jimmy Taggart,I knew from school ,but the Jim Hamilton I knew lived in Chapel Hill in a house adjoining Quinn & Downeys later Tom Keerys Grocery store.He answered to the nickname 'Humpy' .Herbie Phillips was into the Weights and didn't mind throwing his around.I vaguely recall that Gym you mention ,I went with my mate Hughie Spence just to visit!.......Frank

Hi Margaret,

No, not the same Jim Hamilton.

Beano

Hi Frank,

I know what you mean about Herbie. Is the Hugh Spence you mention, was he the one that married Norma Neill???.

Beano

Thanks for confirming that the one off meeting with Herbie Phillips was a real memory.
I've been very busy one way and another, for a wee while. It's nice to look in and see familiar names, and to read tales of the old town.

The very same Beano,I introduced them, but the matrimonials took place after I left for Canada on July 12 1957,she was a georgeus young lady,I knew her father well.he was about the best bricklayer in Lisburn at the time.....Frank

Frank,

Joe served part of his time, at the bricklaying, with Ned Neill & it was his brother, Freddie, whom Joe met when we moved South, who recommended Joe to the foreman at Limerick University, for a job at the building of new wings at U.L. where he worked for a long time & made good money.

Small world. Pat

Has anyone heard anything about any of the Gallagher family of Sloan Street, Lisburn

thank you

Christine

Sorry I cannot contribute anything about those named in the subject, but the Jim Hamilton who did weights with Herbie Phillips was the older brother of the more unorthodox and widely known Ian Hamilton, who died his hair blue, and was an early Teddy Boy.

Dabbler, was Ian Hamilton the same guy who shaved his head completely. He lived around Lawnbrook Drive and went with a girl called May Allen. Sorry to say that both have since passed away.

I sort of remember his brother, Jim.

Ann
that,s the same family, they lived near the big tree. I read a few weeks ago that May Allen had passed away. Her sister Miriam went to Hilden school with me in the 50s
donald

Ann and Donald,
It is, as always, sad to hear of deaths, however distant in time.As I probably wrote, I knew May and Miriam's brother Alfie, very well. I also knew, though not so well, Alfie's older brother; and I remember their dad. They lived in the next street up from the old Hill Street, very close to The Grove, as we called the grassy hills and dales close to the Wee Race.
I recall Alfie getting a guitar, maybe a Birthday present, and standing on the stage of the Assembly Rooms, playing and singing Mambo Italiano.
One of the sisters was cheering him on.

Hi Dabbler

Hope you are keeping well .Was the Alfie Allan you mentioned nicknamed (Squeeker)and did he live at the far end of Sinclairs Row , at the grove end ?
Regards!
Tommy

Donald and Dabbler. I was speaking to the oldest Allen sister, Jean, a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen her for a lifetime but bumped into her in Brogan's Opticians.

She was telling me that out of a family of 9, only she and the youngest sister, Miriam, are alive.

Tommy
I'm fine, thank you.I'm defying nature. As a skinny wee squirt who drank too much too early, I should be gone; but I've lived a VERY healthy life since I was around thirty, so, for longevity seekers, I recommend it. Squeaker is right. And Sinclair Street, yes.
A close friend of my younger brother at one time, I knew him in the 'Terriers', where we exchanged blows in sparring sessions on many occasions.

Ann
Thanks for the information that some of the family are still in Lisburn. I presume that many people I mention have children and grandchildren alive.

Yes, Dabbler, there are lots of relations of people you mention still alive and well in Lisburn. Even though there are plenty of new inhabitants in the town (sorry, city!!) you can still walk down Bow Street or The Mall and bump into numerous friends from school, which is nice.

Had a walk down the line earlier. Started off at the Civic Centre today for a change. Nice morning. Met 3 different couples with shih-tzu dogs. Had a yarn with each of them (the people, not the dogs).

Then I saw a loose border collie running around. Of course, my dogs had to start yapping when they saw it. This always draws attention, so of course the border collie came speeding down the hill. I began to squeal, as usual, then lifted a stick and handed it to Dominic. He told me he wasn't going to use the stick and made to hand it back, but I wouldn't accept it. I picked up Tess in my arms and the collie came closer. I wouldn't look but I could hear it getting nearer; then I heard Dominic shushing it away. It didn't go. I panicked and hurried on with Tess still in my arms yapping away. I wouldn't look back but could hear Dominic shouting harder "Get away, get away". It eventually DID go away, poor oul thing. It probably thought my dogs wanted company and was only obliging.

When the collie had disappeared, I dropped Tess onto the grass, clumsily, and she fell on her chest and whimpered.

When we eventually came home, and as I opened the kitchen door, my woollen sleeve caught in the handle. It pulled me back with a jerk and Tess once again got a fright as I stood on her paw. She gave another yelp. Dominic was mad. He said, "That's twice today you've hurt Tess". I told him HE'D better watch out.

I think I'd better stay in for the remainder of the day.

An
It is nice that you and Dominic appear to spend a lot of time together.

Aye, Dabbler, he gives of his time but NOT when there's racing or football on TV. In these instances, which are often, I am left to my own devices.

WHERE IS JOHNNY DEPP on these days?????????

Seriously, though, I suppose we ARE growing old together.

Ann
Aye, Dabbler,

Seriously, though, I suppose we ARE growing old together.

Ann,
Surely, you, who are a stickler for correct prose, must mean...."growing old-ER together."

Pat

Pat, as a matter of fact we're BOTH correct.

Dominic and I were growing OLDER together since the day we married.

Now that we're in the autumn of our years, I think growing OLD together is more appropriate.

DO NOT CROSS ME, ESPECIALLY ON GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION, PROSE, etc. etc. etc.

And, remember, as you so rightly pointed out, I must get my way always.

I hope you are now chastened and corrected.

By the way, I see it took you 2 days to work our your incorrect reply.

1 2